Fallon Raleys now Raleys Food Source

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Fallon Raleys now Raleys Food Source

Post by storewanderer »

This is the first I've seen with a small Raleys logo above the Food Source. As if putting their logo on it is going to give this awful format any credibility, it will really just tarnish their good name. http://www.lahontanvalleynews.com/artic ... ofile=1045

Raleys is throwing a lot of customers under the bus with these two stores in NV they are shifting to Food Source. Save Mart must sure be happy in Reno, and Safeway must sure be happy in Fallon.
Alpha8472

Re: Fallon Raleys now Raleys Food Source

Post by Alpha8472 »

I've never been to a Food Source. What are they like? Is it really that bad inside?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Short answer: Yes.

Food Source already failed in Rocklin and Folsom with WinCo and Wal Mart Supercenter (plus at the time Safeway, Albertsons, Raleys, Ralphs) competition. Why they are trying to run this format again in neighborhoods with similar or even more intense competition is beyond me. The format failed. The format dilutes the value of Raleys brand. The quality of their fresh departments is beyond poor. Food Source is basically like a Save Mart product mix in a warehouse format. Nothing Raleys about it, other than the ownership. If Raleys wants to run discount stores that bad they should go sign up for a Food 4 Less agreement with whoever grants those in NorCal and just do that. It would be an improvement over Food Source.

But this store in Fallon they didn't turn it into a warehouse. It still has a normal floor, old cashier unload checkstands, normal shelves, a big empty customer service/video/camera department...

I do think the Sacramento Food Source Stores do pretty good volume, but they are in poorer limited competition areas.

I'd also love to see a profit and loss on these Food Source Stores recently converted from Raleys in Fallon and Elk Grove. Looking at the price structure in place, it looks like they are selling an awful lot of stuff below what I suspect their costs are. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's all a tax write off.

I hope they can figure out what to do in order to improve performance to continue running stores to their current high standards. Their quality is better than the other NorCal chains, stores are cleaner, and stores are much nicer. Safeway's stores may mostly be recently remodeled but many look run down already. Save Mart's stores look very run down and the lack of investment by Albertsons and continuing lack of investment by Save Mart is a ticking time bomb for those stores in terms of physical condition.
romleys
Cashier
Cashier

Post by romleys »

I still need to get some photos of the only East (SF) Bay Area Food Source in Hayward,CA!