In Store bank branches closed at Fry's

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

In Store bank branches closed at Fry's

Post by arizonaguy »

I've noticed that within the past couple of months the the in store Bank of America branches at Fry's Marketplace stores in metro Phoenix have been removed. I'm curious if this is simply a Kroger / Bank of America decision to forego in store branches at Fry's locations or if this is the start of Kroger getting out of having in store banks when the agreement between the store and bank terminates. So far, it appears that only Bank of America branches have closed. Fry's stores still have their Chase, Desert Schools, US Bank, and Wells Fargo in store branches. However, one of Fry's newest food and drug stores (a Fry's Signature Store) in Anthem, AZ doesn't have a bank at all. Also, the Fry's website still says that the stores have "banks" yet they most certainly do not.

Here's the former Bank of America branch site at the Fry's Marketplace at 67th Ave and Bell in Glendale:

Here's the former Bank of America branch site at the Fry's Marketplace at 27th Ave and Bell in Phoenix:

Alpha8472

Re: In Store bank branches closed at Fry's

Post by Alpha8472 »

This is purely a Bank of America decision. Bank of America is closing branches and getting rid of employees in order to cut costs. Bank of America believes that ATMs and online banking is the wave of future and getting rid of employees will increase their profits.

Chase and Wells Fargo have a different philosophy. Chase believes in opening up bank branches on practically every street corner. If you have been to New York City, you know that there is a Chase Bank on practically every street corner. It is ridiculous. Due to the insane amount of ATMs, Chase has huge numbers of customers and is actually doing quite well as a bank.

Chase has been opening up new bank branches inside of many supermarkets throughout the state of California.

Fry's wants a bank branch. Bank branches draw in more customers and that is a good thing for a supermarket. The bank branches also pay rent to the supermarket, so it is a win-win situation.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bank of America ceased having in-store branches long ago in NV/NorCal. They were with Raleys up here in NV and with Lucky/Albertsons in NorCal. I do not know of any Save Mart/Lucky Stores that still have Bank of America inside.

Interestingly, one Raleys in Reno did retain its Bank of America branch through last year when the store was converted to Food Source. While Raleys wanted Bank of America to stay, they said they did not want to be a part of Food Source and proceeded to get out of the lease they had on the space due to the store banner change. More interestingly, a new Bank of America ATM has been constructed in the past month in the parking lot of the Food Source Store. I guess customers were upset so they got an ATM, but out in the parking lot, not within the store.

Why is there a deli order kiosk in the bottom photo? I do not think the banks were anywhere near the deli in Frys Marketplace Stores...
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

I can confirm that the Bank of America in store branch is still in operation at the Fry's Marketplace at 19th Ave. and Glendale Ave. in Phoenix.
storewanderer wrote: Why is there a deli order kiosk in the bottom photo? I do not think the banks were anywhere near the deli in Frys Marketplace Stores...
Fry's (both the Marketplace and regular "Food and Drug" stores) puts the deli order kiosk close to the entrance of the side of the store where the deli is.

Here's a photo of the 35th Ave. and Peoria Ave. store with the same basic setup (and deli order kiosk):

The typical Fry's Marketplace (former Smitty's Marketplace) floor-plan has the bank immediately to the right (or left) of the right (or left) entrance and then produce directly behind the bank on either the right (or left) side of the store. Then the wall makes a 90 degree turn and the next area is the pre-packaged meat area, followed by the butcher / service deli counter.

The Pharmacy and Home and Garden section is always on the opposite side of the store as the bank.

Most of the Fry's Marketplace (former Smitty's) interiors are rather tired. I believe that they (for the most part) have the 1997/1998 interior that Fred Meyer put in after buying the chain. The stores seem to do good volume, and Kroger/Fry's has invested in the exteriors of these stores (and it putting a combination solar generating / covered parking area at the 27th Ave / Bell store) but the interiors seem to suffer from a complete lack of investment. I'm wondering if the reason why Kroger / Fry's hasn't rushed to place a US Bank or other bank in these stores (to replace the Bank of America) is that the stores may be scheduled for much needed renovations soon.

In terms of overall well kept-ness and niceness of stores, I'd have to classify the interiors of stores as follows (ranked by best - worst in terms of the name on the store):

1.) Fry's Signature Marketplace (1 store at Tatum and Shea)
2.) Fry's Signature
3.) Fry's Food and Drug (and the Kroger built Fry's Marketplace stores)
4.) Fry's Mercado
5.) Fry's Marketplace (the former Smitty's Marketplace stores) (this also includes the former Smitty's Marketplace stores that were converted to the Fry's Food and Drug format (Cave Creek / Hatcher and 83rd Ave / Indian School)
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Just wanted to update. Fry's has replaced the Bank of America branch at the 67th Ave. and Bell Rd. store (in the 1st photo in the original post) with a US Bank branch.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

US Bank sure has been aggressive about opening in grocery stores. My favorite is over in Sparks, NV. Both Save Marts still have US Bank inside, long standing from when US Bank (briefly) opened in almost every Albertsons up here (most were gone by the late 90's). New Safeway opened in 2003 and US Bank opened inside, and a new Raleys opened in 2009 or so and US Bank opened inside. Then somewhere in there, Zions "sold" its Smiths branches to US Bank so the Sparks Smiths gained a US Bank.

I notice Chase has been aggressive with doing in store branches in recent years. I think that has already been said.

I wonder what US Bank and Chase see in these in-store branches, that Wells Fargo and Bank of America do not seem to see?
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

2nd Update.

The Fry's Marketplace at 35th Ave and Peoria Ave in Phoenix, as well as the Fry's Marketplace at Main and Greenfield Rd in Mesa now have a new in-store bank: Alaska USA Federal Credit Union.