Location of Albertsons Store Closure in Phoenix

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Location of Albertsons Store Closure in Phoenix

Post by arizonaguy »

I know that many of the local newspapers / news outlets elsewhere have confirmed the identities of the Albertsons store closures. Unfortunately, none of the local Phoenix outlets have done so, so I took upon myself to see if I could confirm the location. Without too much effort (I kind of had a hunch as to which one), I was able to confirm that the 1 Albertsons store in Phoenix to close is:

Phoenix - Greenway and Tatum - 956
4747 East Greenway Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85032

The store didn't have any store closing signage on it, but there were small printed signs on doors at both entrances indicating that the Pharmacy was closing on 1/23 and that perscriptions were being moved to the location at Shea and Tatum. In addition, at both entrances there was signage that effective (again, I believe 1/23) the store's new hours would be 8 a.m. - 8 p.m. Again, while no official store closing signage (and I didn't go inside to ask the staff) I took these two signs to mean that this store was the one doomed one in metro Phoenix. It's a 1990 store (which has not had its entrances modified) with no in store bank or Starbucks. It has been renovated into the Albertsons LLC interior within the last 5 years or so. The closure will leave Albertsons with 28 stores in Metro Phoenix, but won't really leave a hole in it's areas grocery scene as within 4 miles of this store there are:

2 other Albertsons locations (Tatum and Shea which is 3 miles away and Tatum and Deer Valley which is 4 miles away)

5 Fry's Stores (32nd and Bell (Fry's Marketplace) 3 miles away, Tatum and Bell (Fry's Food and Drug) 1 mile away, 40th St. and Thunderbird (Fry's Food and Drug) 2 miles away, Tatum and Shea (Fry's Signature Marketplace) 3 miles away, and Greenway / 64th St (Fry's Food and Drug) 2 miles away

1 Food City (32nd and Greenway) which is 2 miles away

3 Safeways (Tatum and Greenway) which is across Tatum from the Albertsons, (Greenway and 64th St) which is 2 miles away, and (Thunderbird and 32nd St) which is 3 miles away

1 Smart and Final (Scottsdale Rd. and Thunderbird) which is 4 miles away

1 Sprouts (Cactus and Tatum) which is 2 miles away

2 Trader Joe's (Tatum and Shea) which is 3 miles away and (Scottsdale Rd. and Bell) which is 4 miles away

2 Walmart Supercenters (Tatum and Bell) which is 1 mile away and (Tatum and Cactus) which is 2 miles away

1 Whole Foods (Tatum and Shea) which is 3 miles away

There also used to be a Bashas at Tatum and Bell (1 mile away) and a Henry's Marketplace at Tatum and Thunderbird (1 mile away)

This Albertsons store just had too much competition (including 2 other nearby Albertsons) to really survive in one of the most ultra-competitive sections of the Phoenix area in terms of supermarket competition.
storewanderer

Re: Location of Albertsons Store Closure in Phoenix

Post by storewanderer »

I need to check my files when I get home, but I think 4747 Greenway may have had a Jewel interior before LLC, but it was a Jewel interior "placed over" the blue gray walls (repainted). So it looked interesting. And I think it used green signs rather than blue. I will have to check my files.

I find it curious that LLC remodeled and is now closing the store, but I know they really did not spend much money on the remodels.

They are also closing a store in Albuquerque, this is the first location to close in Albuquerque through all of the closure waves Albertsons LLC has done.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

There are several stores still in the Jewel Interior in the Phoenix area (in fact, most of the stores that are not in the LLC interior are in the Jewel Interior).

Of the 1990 stores off the top of my head, this store is the only one in the LLC Interior. The stores at 5040 W Cactus in Glendale and 750 E Guadalupe in Tempe have the Jewel Interior (and as also had their two "side" entrances replaced with a singular "front" facing entrance offset to the right side of the facade).

The store with the most interesting interior is 8035 N 19th Ave in Phoenix. It has an interior like you've described above (I think). I've not seen any other Albertsons stores with this same interior.

I imagine Albertsons LLC renovated 4747 E Greenway into the new interior for 2 reasons:

1.) To maintain brand consistency with the two other nearby Albertsons (Tatum / Deer Valley and Tatum / Shea).
2.) To compete with the 8 non-Albertsons "traditional" supermarkets, 6 other "specialty" supermarkets, and 2 Walmart Supercenters within 4 miles.

Honestly, the closure of this store is not a surprise to me whatsoever as this are has to be the most competitive part of Phoenix. Heck, within that 4 mile radius there are also 2 Targets and a Costco as well.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I guess these photos were old enough they made it to my Photobucket that I haven't added photos to in years.

Odd, the letters look blue in the photos, but they were green..

This was a great modification to a blue gray store.

http://s196.photobucket.com/user/StoreW ... t=3&page=1
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I found the location of the doomed Albuquerque store, it is a mid 1990's blue gray in a good sized shopping center with quite a drive from the road to get to where the store is, given a fairly low budget but at the same time comprehensive remodel by Raleys, in a neighborhood I would describe as not great. As in, one time when I was going to go into this store late at night, due to some events in the parking lot that I saw when I pulled in, combined with the lack of traffic, I did not go in, and returned to the store the following trip.

There is a very busy Smiths (freestanding) across the street.

13150 SE Central, Albuquerque.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Safeway applied, on 9/2, for a liquor license at this location.

It was closed by Albertsons LLC prior to the Albertsons / Safeway merger and there's a Safeway (with a fuel center) directly across the street.

I'm curious what the plan is for this store.

The license info is below:

License Number: 09070503 Status: LocTrnfr
Business Name: SAFEWAY #2097
Location Address 4747 E GREENWAY RD
PHOENIX AZ 85032
County MARICOPA Bus. Phone PENDING
Licensee/Agent/Tel: GUTTILLA, NICHOLAS PENDING
Received Date: 09/02/2016 105 Days from Received: 12/16/2016
Interim Permit Expiration: IP License Expires:
License Type: LiqrStor

Interestingly, on the same day, they also applied for a liquor license at the closed ex-Safeway and ex-Haggen store in Anthem, AZ.

That info is below:

License Number: 09070653 Status: LocTrnfr
Business Name: SAFEWAY #3334
Location Address 3655 W ANTHEM WAY
ANTHEM AZ 85086
County MARICOPA Bus. Phone (480)304-8300
Licensee/Agent/Tel: GUTTILLA, NICHOLAS (480)304-8300
Received Date: 09/02/2016 105 Days from Received: 12/16/2016
Interim Permit Expiration: IP License Expires:
License Type: LiqrStor
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

UPDATE:

I drove by this store (Greenway / Tatum) last night and the renovations are well underway.

They've made some changes to the fascade since the Albertsons days and have added windows near what will be the Starbucks seating area.

It appears that this store will feature the Colorful Lifestyle decor package as opposed to the Florida decor that is being found in Texas.

There's no word on when the ex-Albertsons will re-open and the Safeway across the street will close as of yet.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

UPDATE:

According to what a cashier told my wife, Safeway holds a lease on the current store (which will be closing) until 2032.

No word on what happens to the Safeway fuel center in front of the current store, I believe it may be on a separate parcel of land and will continue to operate.

Safeway will move into the ex-Albertsons space by the end of the month.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

There is an interesting situation in Surprise, where Safeway and Albertsons have stores close to each other at 2 locations....

Grand Ave @ Reems-SWY and ABS are across from each other.
Bell Rd @ Loop 303-ABS on the NW corner, SWY west a few blocks on the corner of Bell Rd @ Cotton Ln
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

jamcool wrote:There is an interesting situation in Surprise, where Safeway and Albertsons have stores close to each other at 2 locations....

Grand Ave @ Reems-SWY and ABS are across from each other.
Bell Rd @ Loop 303-ABS on the NW corner, SWY west a few blocks on the corner of Bell Rd @ Cotton Ln
In addition to the Surprise situation it also exists:

Scottsdale: Via Linda & Frank Lloyd Wright (Albertsons (Haggen for a brief time) is on the SE corner and Safeway is on the SW corner). This is an interesting one as they re-opened the Albertsons across the street from the Safeway.

Gilbert / Queen Creek: Queen Creek Rd & Power Rd (Albertsons is on the SE corner and Safeway is on the SW corner)

Mesa: Baseline Rd & Ellsworth Rd (Albertsons is on the SE corner and Safeway is on the SW corner)

Also in Scottsdale there is an Albertsons at Frank Lloyd Wright & Pima which very close to the Safeway at Frank Lloyd Wright & Thompson Peak Pkwy. In Tucson there's a re-opened Albertsons (former Haggen) that is 1/2 a mile away from a Safeway along Silverbell Rd. There's also a re-opened Safeway (former Haggen) a mile away from an Albertsons on Broadway Rd.