Food Maxx Closing Bakersfield, CA Chester

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Food Maxx Closing Bakersfield, CA Chester

Post by storewanderer »

https://www.turnto23.com/news/local-new ... -this-fall

Interesting, they closed another Food Maxx there not too long ago and it quickly flipped to Superior. I wonder if that is the same situation here.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Re: Food Maxx Closing Bakersfield, CA Chester

Post by steps »

The reviews on Google are showing constant expired and rotted food, long lines, rude staff, etc. If it flips to Superior it's for the best. Superior runs and excellent Hispanic format with fresh bakery, meat and decent prices.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

I doubt Superior would want this location, seeing as there is a Vallarta in the same/adjacent shopping center. Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I don't think another supermarket will come here.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: September 14th, 2021, 9:33 pm I doubt Superior would want this location, seeing as there is a Vallarta in the same/adjacent shopping center. Maybe I'm pessimistic, but I don't think another supermarket will come here.
So that puts Save Mart down to 3? Food Maxx in Bakersfield and the 1 Save Mart in the former Ralphs (which has yet to be remodeled). I always thought Food Maxx did well in Bakersfield so I am a little surprised by the closures.

I don't think Save Mart has ever done particularly well in Bakersfield. The Vons at 5700 Stockdale was built by Save Mart and flipped to Vons after a few years (Save Mart retained a smaller older store elsewhere in Bakersfield, which they closed when they got the Ralphs locations). Save Mart took over the 3 Ralphs in Bakersfield; they couldn't actually operate the Stockdale Ralphs Marketplace due to a non-compete with Vons so that had to close; the Oildale Ralphs was a low volume former Lucky and Save Mart closed it within a couple years; so that left the one still open Save Mart in Bakersfield which was only a few years old Ralphs at the time Save Mart got it and from what I can tell has never done very much business for anyone.

For whatever reason the strategy Save Mart tried to use throughout the Central Valley (buy out other chain's stores) didn't work as well in Bakersfield. I think that Food Maxx at 6300 White Lane is a former Pak N Save from the 80's. Maybe it was F4L in between PNS and Food Maxx.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

Yup, 3 FoodMaxx and 1 tired old Save Mart left. Kind of pathetic for a company that prides itself on its central valley ties.

I also thought FoodMaxx was doing well, but this location was in a bad area plagued by shoplifting, homelessness, etc. The remaining Save Mart and 2 of the FoodMaxxes are on the west side, and don't have those issues.

The FoodMaxx locations on Union (which became Superior) and Ming (still open) were former F4L, according to this article: https://www.bakersfield.com/news/busine ... 701d8.html No mention of White Lane, but that might just be sloppy reporting.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: September 15th, 2021, 10:16 pm Yup, 3 FoodMaxx and 1 tired old Save Mart left. Kind of pathetic for a company that prides itself on its central valley ties.

I also thought FoodMaxx was doing well, but this location was in a bad area plagued by shoplifting, homelessness, etc. The remaining Save Mart and 2 of the FoodMaxxes are on the west side, and don't have those issues.

The FoodMaxx locations on Union (which became Superior) and Ming (still open) were former F4L, according to this article: https://www.bakersfield.com/news/busine ... 701d8.html No mention of White Lane, but that might just be sloppy reporting.
There should be room for Save Mart in Bakersfield to have a bit more of a presence. I guess Albertsons and Vons are too much competition for them. The loss of 2 Food Maxx Stores in such a short duration strikes me as somewhat troubling, it will be interesting to see if they figure out a way to add a store or two there.

Save Mart got the liquor license on 6300 White in 1986 so maybe they actually opened that as a Food Maxx. Store sure looks like a Pak N Save in layout. Interesting- I just did more research. Food Maxx opened its first two stores in 1986 in Bakersfield... so that answers that question. Also didn't know Food Maxx concept was first opened in Bakersfield.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: September 15th, 2021, 11:06 pm There should be room for Save Mart in Bakersfield to have a bit more of a presence. I guess Albertsons and Vons are too much competition for them.
And at that, there are definitely more Albertsons than Vons there.
Albertsons has some nice stores in Bakersfield, with the exception of the Brundage Ln store. That one has a rare low-end interior. The customer service desk still has a sign that says: "Albertsons: Helping Make Your Life Easier". That was the mid 2000's Albertsons slogan, when Patricia Heaton was their spokesperson in TV ads.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: September 16th, 2021, 6:39 pm
storewanderer wrote: September 15th, 2021, 11:06 pm There should be room for Save Mart in Bakersfield to have a bit more of a presence. I guess Albertsons and Vons are too much competition for them.
Albertsons has some nice stores in Bakersfield, with the exception of the Brundage Ln store. That one has a rare low-end interior. The customer service desk still has a sign that says: "Albertsons: Helping Make Your Life Easier". That was the mid 2000's Albertsons slogan, when Patricia Heaton was their spokesperson in TV ads.
Brundage Albertsons has an identical floor plan and feel/layout to the Safeway that just opened in Reno a few months ago.

Only ever saw that interior on one other store- an Acme back on the MD shore somewhere. The Acme ended up with a Supervalu remodel. It is funny Brundage still has that interior.

Helping Make Your Life Easier is a false promise slogan similar to slogans like "Fresh for Everyone."
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: September 16th, 2021, 10:06 pm
retailfanmitchell019 wrote: September 16th, 2021, 6:39 pm
Brundage Albertsons has an identical floor plan and feel/layout to the Safeway that just opened in Reno a few months ago.

Only ever saw that interior on one other store- an Acme back on the MD shore somewhere. The Acme ended up with a Supervalu remodel. It is funny Brundage still has that interior.

Helping Make Your Life Easier is a false promise slogan similar to slogans like "Fresh for Everyone."
Are there any Stater Brothers in Bakersfield and Fresno?

Side note: off topic but is SB in Hesperia?
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Stater had a store in Mojave (Kern County) which has since closed.