Save Mart to build new store in Redding

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Save Mart to build new store in Redding

Post by storewanderer »

http://www.tehachapinews.com/news/tehac ... c687d.html

I wonder if they plan the "Valley Fresco" department in Redding. Or the burrito/taco/nacho bar?

Based on how Save Mart handles its perimeters in Reno and Sacramento with half filled bakery cases, partially filled deli cases, and extremely limited prepackaged items, it is difficult to have much confidence in their ability to run a perimeter-heavy format at this point in time. Not to mention their quality in bakery and deli... really bad. My favorite is their deli. I was in the Reno Save Mart at 4995 Kietzke Lane a couple times recently late in the evening (around 10 PM). At that time, the service deli was closed. However, inside the deli case, they have trays full of pre-sliced lunchmeat tightly covered with clear plastic wrap. The trays were very full, as if they had been prepared to sell from the next day. Back when Safeway pre-sliced its deli lunchmeat (a process they have since discontinued in most locations), whatever was pre-sliced was either packed up or used for sandwiches and did not sit in the case overnight. The point of a deli is fresh lunchmeat, fresh sliced. Not sliced yesterday. Their pricing is also way off; their deli wants $2.99 for ONE fried chicken breast. I have never seen it that high anywhere. KFC or Popeyes would be less. Then again, this is the same joke of a Save Mart with a bakery that shapes its blueberry bagels like the number "8" and dips them in donut glaze then puts them into the case all touching one another, a sticky mess, unsanitary and difficult to eat. When asked for a plain blueberry bagel, they claim they cannot offer that due to "corporate orders."

Back in the early 00's when they were run differently (run like a chain that cared about its product quality and was actually trying) and installing things like pizza ovens and large meat rotisseries in their stores I would have had more confidence...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Redding Save Mart is now open. It has their 2nd in store bar and restaurant.

Will be interesting to see how this works out. Especially given Redding is one of the markets where Safeway has its price cut program going on.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

lake wrote: July 14th, 2016, 10:36 pmThe problem with Redding (and anything really north of there) is that it is basically Oregon in terms of demographics. SaveMart has three formats that they're throwing around right now and the only one that would work is already present in Redding. The Lucky concept focuses on being an international market while the SaveMart concept is a conventional/hispanic hybrid. Both of those do not fit the demographics of Redding which is overwhelmingly white. Adding a fourth concept onto their labels is just going to be an even bigger mess for their already strained distribution.
With Redding being not that far from Oregon and with similar demographics, why doesn’t Kroger build a Fred Meyer here or in Eureka? I know before the Kroger merger there was one in Chico and they had looked to expand. But Redding at the least seems like it would be a great place for a new Fred Meyer! If SaveMart can open in Redding, why not Fred Meyer?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The lot in Redding where Shopko was and where there is a Raleys was supposed to be a Fred Meyer back in the early 90's but they pulled from building there. It sits right against I-5. It is too bad, I think that could have been a good Fred Meyer. That was a pretty decent performing Shopko, the only one that ever operated in CA.

Fred Meyer could have opened Marketplace format stores in Yreka and Crescent City, and full size stores in Redding and Eureka. They should have done that in the 90's but could have done it in the 00's too. Ray's has closed collectively 5 stores within the city limits of Yreka, Crescent City, and Eureka. Raleys and Wal Mart are the only grocers in Yreka; Eureka is a little more crowded with a nice natural food co-op, WinCo, one larger/newer Safeway which replaced two very old stores, and a newer Target. Crescent City has just a Safeway after Ray's closed its two stores and I suspect a large chunk of folks from Crescent City go right up to Brookings and shop at Fred Meyer not to get out of sales tax (CA does not sales tax on food) but because the Fred Meyer is just a better store. Chehalis, WA (Fred Meyer distribution) to Eureka is a 7 hour drive- Fred Meyer does 12 hour drives to Idaho Falls so 7 hours to Eureka should not be an issue for their distribution.

I have no clue what Save Mart is doing in Redding, this is a rare brand new Save Mart (not relocation). Save Mart built lots of new stores in the late 90's/00's in the central valley which were nice enough but after the Albertsons purchase there have been few new stores. Maybe they just want to send full trucks up to Redding by adding a second store (they already have a Food Maxx which does pretty well, also Food Maxx down in Red Bluff does pretty well but not as well as before since Wal Mart finally got a Supercenter there).

The new Redding Save Mart was supposed to be a Raleys but Raleys abandoned the site a decade ago. Raleys further closed its not very well located South Redding Store which was intended to be relocated to that new store.

The new Save Mart building has many photos on Google already and it looks very nice- I like the ceiling and lighting and displays and how the departments look, it is a good looking structure inside and out that they have. Their decor, is another story. Cheap bright colors, it looks like a pre-school or something. I cannot believe their decor "Valley Fresh" "Valley Proud" - absolutely tone deaf and clueless about Redding to put up that decor. Redding is absolutely NOT the central valley nor does it identify with the central valley. I get to them that central valley=quality produce and meats but this message is fine in Fresno, questionable even in Sacramento, but tone deaf up in north state. They have similar references to the central valley in their decor up here in Reno, Nevada (again- so tone deaf) but not hitting nearly as heavy as this Redding location hits it.
klkla

Post by klkla »

I agree the Valley Fresh branding doesn't make sense but the store looks good otherwise.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... EnoECBMQBg