Safeway San Mateo remodel (non lifestyle)

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Safeway San Mateo remodel (non lifestyle)

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: July 3rd, 2019, 5:42 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: July 3rd, 2019, 5:17 pm It was in the mid 90s. At that time, there were no Safeway pharmacies in the area. It was not until a few years later when Safeway started adding pharmacies to more of their stores.
FWIW 59% of Safeway's 1,368 stores had pharmacies in 1997 = 807 pharmacies. I assume you mean in the Pleasant Hill area, but as a company this should not have been a problem for them.
For one reason or another, NorCal Division was a little short on pharmacies in the 80's and 90's. For instance up here in Nevada: in the late 80's, their only pharmacy up here was in Hawthorne. Then in 1989 they opened a store in Reno with a pharmacy (Shopko co-anchor also had pharmacy) and expanded the store in Carson City (freestanding) to include a pharmacy around the same time. Also around the same time they opened the Truckee Store with a pharmacy but opened a store in Susanville without a pharmacy. Payless Drug was co-anchor in both Truckee and Susanville. Then in the mid 90's they built some more stores around here, Zephyr Cove (freestanding) replacement store added a pharmacy, Fallon store opened with no pharmacy (Wal Mart co-anchor, who relocated, has a pharmacy now as they bought the Raleys files), Reno Kietzke (Wal Mart co-anchor) opened with a pharmacy. I think they got more serious about having pharmacies in all stores as they did the late 90's and 00's relocations/expansions.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

New Safeway in Sacramento (Crocker) that opened recently has a layout almost identical to that Pleasant Hill Albertsons/Lucky... pretty funny. Layout is nothing like any current era Safeway. Maybe like an early 80's Safeway. Not sure I've ever seen Safeways before without large wall space for produce. I suppose this sort of design somehow reduces their construction costs.
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: July 4th, 2019, 11:23 pm New Safeway in Sacramento (Crocker) that opened recently has a layout almost identical to that Pleasant Hill Albertsons/Lucky... pretty funny. Layout is nothing like any current era Safeway. Maybe like an early 80's Safeway. Not sure I've ever seen Safeways before without large wall space for produce. I suppose this sort of design somehow reduces their construction costs.
The layout is very similar to single entrance Albertson's stores in the late 90's and early 2000's that had Bakery and Deli together on one wall with produce directly opposite. The wet rack is to the right on the first aisle which was how Albertson's was doing it for a long time.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote: July 4th, 2019, 11:23 pm New Safeway in Sacramento (Crocker) that opened recently has a layout almost identical to that Pleasant Hill Albertsons/Lucky... pretty funny. Layout is nothing like any current era Safeway. Maybe like an early 80's Safeway. Not sure I've ever seen Safeways before without large wall space for produce. I suppose this sort of design somehow reduces their construction costs.
That's also the setup of most of the Dillon and Kroger built Fry's stores in the Phoenix area (not the ex-Smith's or Smitty's stores).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: July 5th, 2019, 6:30 pm
The layout is very similar to single entrance Albertson's stores in the late 90's and early 2000's that had Bakery and Deli together on one wall with produce directly opposite. The wet rack is to the right on the first aisle which was how Albertson's was doing it for a long time.
The key difference there is the 1998-2000ish Albertsons had milk dairy in the back corner adjacent to bakery, while the old ASC design placed service meat in that location.

My photos from this layout in an Albertsons don't do a great job with store layout.

The striking similarity in the produce department is most interesting. Right down to department lettering atop the case.
IMG_3587.JPG
IMG_3580.JPG
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

arizonaguy wrote: July 5th, 2019, 8:30 pm
That's also the setup of most of the Dillon and Kroger built Fry's stores in the Phoenix area (not the ex-Smith's or Smitty's stores).
This Safeway/Albertsons design comes off as a lot more spacious and open than the Kroger stores with this layout. It came off more spacious/open 20 years ago and still does today. Not sure what exactly the difference is.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote: July 5th, 2019, 11:49 pm
klkla wrote: July 5th, 2019, 6:30 pm
The key difference there is the 1998-2000ish Albertsons had milk dairy in the back corner adjacent to bakery, while the old ASC design placed service meat in that location.

My photos from this layout in an Albertsons don't do a great job with store layout.

The striking similarity in the produce department is most interesting. Right down to department lettering atop the case.
IMG_3587.JPG
IMG_3580.JPG
The two newest Safeways in Arizona: Vail and San Tan Valley also seem to have this layout.

It's very clearly an Albertsons layout. It reminds me of the layout at this store:

3130 W Carefree Hwy, Phoenix, AZ 85086

and also this Albertsons turned Bashas':

99 S Higley Rd, Gilbert, AZ 85296

The Albertsons' with this layout seemed to have 3 entrances and a front "vestibule" area whereas the Safeways tend to have the late 1980s/early 1990s front end (compete with the angled main ceiling: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... CnoECBAQBg) and the early 2000s Albertsons back end.

Heck, the even the restrooms are even in the standard Albertsons location at the center rear of the store https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... CnoECBAQBg.