University Park (USC) Ralphs Remodel

California. No non-grocery posts.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

University Park (USC) Ralphs Remodel

Post by steps »

This Ralphs is going through a remodel currently. They are doing an exterior remodel and also interior. Notable changes so far:

- Service Deli: Sandwich prep area was removed. Hot case is a "smaller", newer raised portion surrounded by square glass but it seems more efficient. This service deli sells A LOT of fried chicken. There isn't a day that I go there isn't a line of people getting chicken. There is usually a person behind the counter JUST battering and frying chicken. They have greatly expanded the grab and go section. like sandwiches, salads and "deli meat kits" (like meat and cheeses that pair well to make a club sandwich for example). A meat case was added behind the deli to showcase/hold the bulk meats for slicing.

- Bakery: Bakery was downsized during the previous remodel but it seems bakery was expanded again during this remodel. The bread case was removed that sat in front and now bulk bread/rolls are now in the donut/muffin case. Cake display has gotten bigger and the bakery seems more busy than it was in the past.

- Center store: Most isles have been moved around and I don't see the reason behind it. Chip section was moved toward the front of the store near checkout (previously near dairy). Candy was moved to were chips used to be (expanded candy section it seems). Bread was moved a row over (previously on the first row where frozen started). There is quite a bit of mark downs in the store currently, mostly on beauty related products, they might be cutting low selling skus for more space of higher selling items.

- Dairy: No changes so far.

- Meat/Fish: No changes so far, either.

- Produce: Looks the same, no major changed I've noticed so far as well.

- Liquor: Hard liquor is no longer customer accessible. Liquor is now in a locked case in the front of the store (of the 3 Ralphs I've been to, liquor has moved to locked cases in the front of the store). I know the Ralphs in Downtown LA had serious issues with liquor theft, I didn't think this Ralphs had this issue but, it might be a company wide thing now to lock up hard liquor since those 3 stores had liquor locked up. Wine is still customer accessible though.

- Front End: More self checkout added. There is now self checkout on both sides of the front end, maybe 12 all together with about 10 regular check stands, I didn't count but will next time. In store bank is also still operating. From the way the checkout is laid out, I have a feeling there were 2 entrances facing Vermont Ave. at one point, probably in the early Ralphs/Boys days. Most Boys Markets I remember had 2 entrances/exits facing the same direction.

- Exterior: The have blocked off the Adams Blvd entrance and I think they might reshuffle and expand produce in that area. Signage has been removed and that have plastic/tape on some parts. There might be a repaint and new signage going up (finally, the old signage was yellow and faded). I can't tell if they are expanded the store since nothing inside indicated that but, there are gates up around the store with "pardon our dust". They are repaving the entrance on the Vermont side that leads into the store.

This store has the "local" decor package that caters to USC (USC Trojan interior). This store is quite busy at all times since there is literally zero competition near by except for a Trader Joes and a very small Target about a mile away across the street from the USC campus.

Will be interesting to see what comes of this remodel. This one seems more extensive than the last one.

This store seems to be a top performer, it's always busy when I go.
klkla

Re: University Park (USC) Ralphs Remodel

Post by klkla »

steps wrote: June 26th, 2019, 8:50 pm Sandwich prep area was removed.
They might be moving the sandwich prep area to another section. That's what they did in the downtown L.A. store. They moved it to the cheese department with two separate stations on opposite sides. It has really cut down on crowding and I think it was a good move.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by steps »

klkla wrote: June 28th, 2019, 8:18 pm
steps wrote: June 26th, 2019, 8:50 pm Sandwich prep area was removed.
They might be moving the sandwich prep area to another section. That's what they did in the downtown L.A. store. They moved it to the cheese department with two separate stations on opposite sides. It has really cut down on crowding and I think it was a good move.
Sandwich area was removed and there are only pre-made Boars head sandwiches now. Grab and Go was was expanded at the expense of hot foods getting smaller and sandwich prep being removed.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

steps wrote: June 26th, 2019, 8:50 pm

Sandwich area was removed and there are only pre-made Boars head sandwiches now. Grab and Go was was expanded at the expense of hot foods getting smaller and sandwich prep being removed.
Man... Ralphs had a great sandwich program over the years. I cannot believe Kroger took the custom sandwiches out. This explains why Smiths has never done a custom sandwich program. A real shame, since they have Boar's Head. Boar's Head is the foundation of a great custom sandwich program that can be extremely high volume (ask Publix). Well, at least in NorCal, Safeway is running custom sandwiches with Boar's Head at a small number of locations.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: September 28th, 2019, 11:04 pm

Man... Ralphs had a great sandwich program over the years. I cannot believe Kroger took the custom sandwiches out. This explains why Smiths has never done a custom sandwich program. A real shame, since they have Boar's Head. Boar's Head is the foundation of a great custom sandwich program that can be extremely high volume (ask Publix). Well, at least in NorCal, Safeway is running custom sandwiches with Boar's Head at a small number of locations.
I suspect sales for custom sandwich are poor. Publix's deli has always has a cult following, whereas Kroger has tried -- unsuccessfully -- numerous times to launch expanded deli offerings. Even the premade stuff seems to struggle -- you can find a variety of sandwich and salads marked down to $1.99 every day at my local Ralph's, I often wonder if they sell any,
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: September 30th, 2019, 2:35 am

I suspect sales for custom sandwich are poor. Publix's deli has always has a cult following, whereas Kroger has tried -- unsuccessfully -- numerous times to launch expanded deli offerings. Even the premade stuff seems to struggle -- you can find a variety of sandwich and salads marked down to $1.99 every day at my local Ralph's, I often wonder if they sell any,
Kroger could easily replicate what Publix Deli does. They have the same Boar's Head meats, cheeses, and condiments readily available. Things like lettuce and tomato are easily available from the produce area and again are easily replicated. The only thing they'd need to get down is the bread but how hard can that be (okay, given how their french bread tastes, maybe pretty hard)?

Have you tried those pre-made trucked in things at Ralphs? The trucked in ones at Smiths and Frys (from the same provider) are absolutely terrible, they aren't even made with Boar's Head. They aren't even worth $1.99. Smiths has some store-made wraps and sandwiches which are made with Boar's Head and they are okay, but the facing is like 80% pre-made trucked in and 20% store made Boar's Head. What is ironic is they will often sell out of the Boar's Head stuff over the course of the day, but the pre-made stuff just sits and nobody buys it.

Maybe they should just purchase Subway franchises and install in the in-store deli so they can have a sandwich program. That would also give them a pretty good cookie program (since the cookies in their bakery, except the Private Selection ones which are excellent, are also terrible).
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by steps »

storewanderer wrote: September 28th, 2019, 11:04 pm

The sandwich bar didn't get used often and if it was, it was by locals. The USC students didn't even bother and would usually grab sushi instead.

The Boar's head sandwiches and very good which custom made at $5.99. I think the main issue at this location is lack of staff and/or urgency. This service deli is very busy, usually at all times except early morning. When you get a sandwich made, there are usually 5 more customers that come and add to an already busy service deli. This service deli - to me - isn't ran very well, there is no sense of urgency on the workers part. They also have one worker who is literally frying chicken all day and doesn't stop to help, even when its busy. You're lucky to get 2 people working during the really busy hours.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by steps »

storewanderer wrote: September 30th, 2019, 7:02 pm
Bagels wrote: September 30th, 2019, 2:35 am

Kroger could easily replicate what Publix Deli does. They have the same Boar's Head meats, cheeses, and condiments readily available. Things like lettuce and tomato are easily available from the produce area and again are easily replicated. The only thing they'd need to get down is the bread but how hard can that be (okay, given how their french bread tastes, maybe pretty hard)?
Kroger doesn't even bother to advertise the custom sandwiches. The Fresh Fare in Downtown L.A. has a sandwich bar but it's in a separate area shared by sushi a few feet away from the main service deli. If you didn't know it was there you'd miss it. Plus, the workers seem to be annoyed when you ask for a sandwich to be made. Ralph's used to be very accommodating to what you could make with a sandwich, especially in the Fresh Fare locations, but not anymore (can't get tuna, chicken salad, etc) you have to pick from the meats that are listed.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

It's sad to hear that Ralphs has gotten rid of custom sandwiches. When I worked in downtown San Diego I'd get sandwiches at the Ralphs on G street two to three times a week. They were delicious.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: September 30th, 2019, 7:02 pmKroger could easily replicate what Publix Deli does. They have the same Boar's Head meats, cheeses, and condiments readily available. Things like lettuce and tomato are easily available from the produce area and again are easily replicated. The only thing they'd need to get down is the bread but how hard can that be (okay, given how their french bread tastes, maybe pretty hard)?

Have you tried those pre-made trucked in things at Ralphs? The trucked in ones at Smiths and Frys (from the same provider) are absolutely terrible, they aren't even made with Boar's Head. They aren't even worth $1.99. Smiths has some store-made wraps and sandwiches which are made with Boar's Head and they are okay, but the facing is like 80% pre-made trucked in and 20% store made Boar's Head. What is ironic is they will often sell out of the Boar's Head stuff over the course of the day, but the pre-made stuff just sits and nobody buys it.

Maybe they should just purchase Subway franchises and install in the in-store deli so they can have a sandwich program. That would also give them a pretty good cookie program (since the cookies in their bakery, except the Private Selection ones which are excellent, are also terrible).
Honestly, I don't think Kroger could replicate Publix's success. Public's deli offerings have a cult following, likely because Publix has long been known for its quality. For example, its chicken tenders rivaled Raising Cane's - hand-breaded, fresh/never frozen meat that was tossed out after X minutes (and I only write in past tense because I haven't been in a Publix in nearly a decade). Meanwhile, Kroger deep frys frozen tenders early in the day, and if they don't sell, they'll sit there until the deli closes... when they're packaged up and placed in the cold display (and now eligible for EBT). Big difference in either's approach. Kroger has tried multiple times to get into the prepared foods game, but beyond the classic deli items, it hasn't worked.

Busch's, a small chain in SE Michigan, reinvented itself in the late 1990s by investing heavily in prepared foods; several years ago, they began heavily scaling back. Their CEO told a local paper that until the Great Recession, they struggled to keep up with demand, but after the Great Recession, people stopped buying them and demand never came back. That seems to be echoed by Meijer, which started expanding its assortment of prepared foods at select locations in the mid-2000s, then removed them during the Great Recession. They tried the Subway thing (it failed), and now they're experimenting with prepared foods again (select locations). I bet it won't last.

IMO, cost fails the program. I use to be able to get a custom sandwich, side & fountain drink at Von's for $6, with every sixth free. Then it went up to $7.... then $8... then $9... now it's over $10 (no combo discount, and many Von's have removed the fountain machine), and it's like every eighth or ninth sandwich free. I can get a better, cheaper meal at a plethora of fast casual places.

Pavilions recently double-downed on prepared foods, and has an extensive hot & cold bar, but I see little action - and A LOT of food being tossed at night. Again, not surprising when you charge $12/LB (depends on the themed night, however), even when your stores are located in upscale areas.

Ultimately, I think prepared foods will be restricted to niche retailers like Whole Foods, etc.