Ralphs Fresh Fare Trademark

California. No non-grocery posts.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Ralphs Fresh Fare Trademark

Post by CalItalian »

FYI. Ralphs is completely changing the look, format of its store ads starting with the November 6, 2019 ad. It's also changing its slogan to "Fresh for Everyone".
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Could that new slogan be a part of the planned Kroger reimaging?
JimKarras
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by JimKarras »

I just checked the weekly store ads for several banners (Frys, Smith’s, King Soopers, Pick ‘n Save, Kroger, Fred Meyer) each had the new tag line “Fresh for Everyone”. Interesting QFC in the Pierce County market didn’t have it on their weekly ad but the Fred Meyer stores in that market did. Another interesting thing was Fred Meyer had the slogan in red and while all the other banners seemed to use the same blue and white version. So it appears to be a system wide unified tag line. Perhaps the QFC store will add it soon?
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

jamcool wrote: November 4th, 2019, 11:01 pm Could that new slogan be a part of the planned Kroger reimaging?
I think so. Fry's circulars are also carrying the new slogan, although the design is the same as before. Ralphs circular design is now the same as Fry's.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

As are Smith’s new weekly ad, except the main color is blue
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

CalItalian wrote: November 4th, 2019, 8:44 pmI was referring to the past and present. No, it was not quite common for Ralphs to have everyday pricing different. I have been shopping at Ralphs since the 1970's and have extensive knowledge of this as I was extreme couponing before the term was ever invented. The side of L.A. (West) that I was living in until this summer has been dominated by Ralphs for many years and I know it's history going back to the 1970's. I could go from one Ralphs to another, the prices were never different. Pavilions, Vons - they were a different story.

Ralphs has never published multiple ads beyond a few minor different ad specials in more recent years as I have stated. I stand behind that statement. This isn't new. At one time the ads were exclusively in the food section of the newspaper, then later both the newspaper (as an insert) and mailed to home before they dropped newspapers. I can go back to the time when Ralphs (and all other supermarkets) ads were in the Thursday then later Wednesday food sections when supermarkets in this region changed their weekly ad dates.

Fresh Fare locations still have a distinctive look - including their most recent remodels this year in Malibu & Santa Monica, for example - that regular Ralphs aren't getting (Ralphs was going to convert the former Hughes Market in Westdale (West LA) to a Fresh Fare but decided not to last year. Instead, it just got the upgraded current regular Ralphs look - along with tripling self checkout from 4 to 12). Westwood Village Fresh Fare is scheduled to get an updated look next year which doesn't surprise me since some of the space at their largest, highest volume store is underutilized.

Target is walking away from the specific names they tacked onto their larger and smaller concept stores. The Super Target in both Menifee and Murrieta each had remodels over the summer (Menifee completed its remodel 2 weeks ago). The Super was completely removed despite their adding a staffed service deli and service bakery. And Westwood Village has removed all signage and mentions except outside the store that refers to itself as CityTarget.
I did my co-op with Ralphs in the early 2000s. One of the Kroger Company initiatives was to maximize revenue by localizing pricing. As was explained to us, people generally grocery shop near their homes, and somebody living in the then-newer Bluff communities in Newport Beach would be more accepting to higher prices for their groceries than somebody living in the heart of then-working class Huntington Beach. I personally witnessed this as a shopper, both at the Ralphs near my house as well as the Krogers near my parent's home.

At the time, I majored in supply chain and worked procurement within Ralphs produce division. Produce is sold in lots based on color, texture, size and flavor; for example, all other things being equal, apples that are brighter in color sell for more, even if the taste is the same. Certain Ralphs, including - but not limited to - Fresh Fare locations, would receive higher quality produce. Those stores would receive brighter colored apples from Washington with priority to California apples when available, Hawaiian pineapples (sadly, no longer a thing outside of Hawaii), California or Midwest asparagus, more sweet cucumbers from the southeast, etc. "Standard" locations would receive average, less colorful apples grown in Washington, pineapples grown in Costa Rica, asparagus from Peru (if priced out of the CA lots), California cumcumbers less sweet than their southeast counterparts, etc. Food4Less would receive value priced, but inferior, produce - apples from the Midwest, jumbo sweet potatoes from the southeast, asparagus from Mexico, etc.

Obviously, premium produce cost more to the company, and that cost is passed onto the consumer. The stores you shopped at likely had similar demographics and selection, but that most certainly wasn't true for the entire chain.
klkla

Post by klkla »

According to the LA Times article quoted in the Amazon store thread 63 of Ralphs 189 stores are Fresh Fares (33.3%).
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by steps »

klkla wrote: November 12th, 2019, 3:26 pm According to the LA Times article quoted in the Amazon store thread 63 of Ralphs 189 stores are Fresh Fares (33.3%).
Is that a recent number? If so, what is Vons excuse with Pavilions? I'm sure between Vons and Albertson's, there's locations perfect for Pavilions.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

steps wrote: November 12th, 2019, 7:21 pm
klkla wrote: November 12th, 2019, 3:26 pm According to the LA Times article quoted in the Amazon store thread 63 of Ralphs 189 stores are Fresh Fares (33.3%).
Is that a recent number? If so, what is Vons excuse with Pavilions? I'm sure between Vons and Albertson's, there's locations perfect for Pavilions.
There are 347 Albertsons Companies stores in SoCal (Albertsons, Vons, Pavilions and that one Lucky in South Gate). 26 of those stores are Pavilions.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

steps wrote: November 12th, 2019, 7:21 pm
When’s the last time you were in a Pavilions? Pavilions is a notch below the likes of Bristol Farms and Gleson’s. And as discussed in this thread, there’s little difference between Fresh Fare and non-Fresh Fare Ralph’s.