Stater Bros opening new store tomorrow.

California. No non-grocery posts.
klkla

Stater Bros opening new store tomorrow.

Post by klkla »

In the middle of everything that is Going on Stater Bros will open a new store tomorrow in Ladera Ranch.

This store was built as a Pavilions in the 90s and was then briefly a Haggen before becoming. Gelson’s, which lasted a year.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/06/01/s ... era-ranch/
storewanderer

Re: Stater Bros opening new store tomorrow.

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 5:24 pm In the middle of everything that is Going on Stater Bros will open a new store tomorrow in Ladera Ranch.

This store was built as a Pavilions in the 90s and was then briefly a Haggen before becoming. Gelson’s, which lasted a year.

Was this built as Pavilions? It didn't have the usual layout. Layout seemed to be more like a 90's Vons...
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 5:33 pm
klkla wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 5:24 pm In the middle of everything that is Going on Stater Bros will open a new store tomorrow in Ladera Ranch.

Was this built as Pavilions? It didn't have the usual layout. Layout seemed to be more like a 90's Vons...
After Safeway took over the layout changed a little. Bakeries were moved against a wall closer to the entry instead of being at the back of the 'pavilion' (the island in the store that had the deli, Panda Express, cheese shop and bakery). The service deli stayed in an island configuration across from the bakery (very similar to the Randall's Flagship layout). Produce moved to a more traditional location against a wall instead of being between the checkstands and the pavilion.

Not too many of these were built. Some higher end Vons stores were also built with this general layout
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Safeway built a few NorCal Stores with this layout you describe with the deli and related in a pavilion and bakery on the wall across from it: one in Santa Clara, one in Stockton (Pacific Ave.), one in Roseville/Granite Bay, and they converted a Pak N Save in Auburn into this layout. There may be others also. By any measure, these are very nice stores. Much nicer than the Randalls since they have high ceilings. In these stores the back corner of the layout on the side where bakery/deli was, contained a very nice liquor department.

This layout was also used on various CO Safeway Stores built in the early 00's. In CO the back corner of the layout often included a nutrition department (except at the one store in Littleton where they have a full liquor department, that one has the liquor back there). I think I also saw it on one Safeway in AZ (way up in or near Carefree).

I will be interested to see photos of the Stater as people start posting them.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

100% normal Stater Bros layout. No "island" or departments in the middle. They must have torn out everything and started from scratch. Definitely the nicest Stater Bros I've ever seen; a bit larger than the new build Tustin store but also has some "Pavilions" type elements including higher end meat cases with big Tomahawk steaks and a island of specialty produce like pineapples flown in from Maui.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: June 7th, 2020, 5:38 pm 100% normal Stater Bros layout. No "island" or departments in the middle. They must have torn out everything and started from scratch. Definitely the nicest Stater Bros I've ever seen; a bit larger than the new build Tustin store but also has some "Pavilions" type elements including higher end meat cases with big Tomahawk steaks and a island of specialty produce like pineapples flown in from Maui.
I am surprised they tore out perfectly good departments in the middle of the store. I understand they would need to do some remodeling to meat to do their service meat program. I think customers will be pleasantly surprised with Stater Bros. service, cleanliness, and meat programs. But I am not sure about the Stater Bros. center store working in that location- how did center store look? Did it have some additional organic/gourmet stuff?
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: June 7th, 2020, 10:53 pm
ClownLoach wrote: June 7th, 2020, 5:38 pm 100% normal Stater Bros layout. No "island" or departments in the middle. They must have torn out everything and started from scratch. Definitely the nicest Stater Bros I've ever seen; a bit larger than the new build Tustin store but also has some "Pavilions" type elements including higher end meat cases with big Tomahawk steaks and a island of specialty produce like pineapples flown in from Maui.
I am surprised they tore out perfectly good departments in the middle of the store. I understand they would need to do some remodeling to meat to do their service meat program. I think customers will be pleasantly surprised with Stater Bros. service, cleanliness, and meat programs. But I am not sure about the Stater Bros. center store working in that location- how did center store look? Did it have some additional organic/gourmet stuff?
Center store I did not see an emphasis on organic or gourmet. Seemed like standard Stater Bros. For a while Stater Bros was setting up a section or two in each aisle for specialty, they had black rounded edge shelves and blue ribbon signage on top to distinguish the higher end merchandise. I did not see that here. The only areas I felt were "plussed" from a normal Stater Bros were the meat department which used the higher end "misting" cases the remodeled Pavilions and Whole Foods stores have, produce which had a large feature island of specialty and exotic produce distributed by Melissa's, and a small bulk section which was surprisingly open for self serve business despite COVID-19 protocols. I think the reason for this store to take so long to construct was the removal of all remaining elements of the modified Pavilions layout. The store feels like another 10K Sq. Ft was added onto the building because you can see clear across from end to end. And it is a very deep store with long aisles. I think they decided with all the failures before in that spot not to risk anything but the layout they know how to operate best. I do remember the freezers being old, some open chest freezer islands in that valley. They did not reuse a single thing in this building and it is a 100% new facility inside the four walls. It was busy, customers were buying full carts and I think it will be a massive success.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Stater Bros. also opened a brand new store in Calimesa today, June 17, 2020. https://www.theshelbyreport.com/2020/06 ... e-calimesa
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

CalItalian wrote: June 17th, 2020, 10:25 pm Stater Bros. also opened a brand new store in Calimesa today, June 17, 2020. https://www.theshelbyreport.com/2020/06 ... e-calimesa
This store is so close to the Beaumont store in Beaumont Ave. is this store replacing that one? There are like 6 Stater Bros in that area!
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Jeff wrote: June 18th, 2020, 8:50 am
CalItalian wrote: June 17th, 2020, 10:25 pm Stater Bros. also opened a brand new store in Calimesa today, June 17, 2020. https://www.theshelbyreport.com/2020/06 ... e-calimesa
This store is so close to the Beaumont store in Beaumont Ave. is this store replacing that one? There are like 6 Stater Bros in that area!
Stater Bros doesn't seem to have a problem opening stores close to each other. They don't seem to cannibalize each other, either. In my area in Riverside County, there is a Stater Bros. on or just off the same road every two miles for 9 miles...and another one is rumored to occupying a new shopping center development in planning just over 2 miles beyond that 9 miles. Plus there are other Stater Bros. within a couple of miles of some of those stores. I really don't see the attraction of Stater Bros (coming from an area in West L.A. that was dominated by Ralphs) other than their convenience. But I've never been in a Stater Bros. that has no customers.