Vons store numbers

California. No non-grocery posts.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Vons store numbers

Post by steps »

I'm a bit confused how store numbers go with VONS.

I've seen store numbers in the 1000's, 2000's and 3000's.

What do these store numbers mean?

I've assumed stored numbers in the 2200 and up are/were Pavilions stores.

1000's are original VONS stores?

2100-2300's are VONS stores built by Safeway?

3000's are Albertson's converts/rebuild to Vons stores?
pseudo3d

Re: Vons store numbers

Post by pseudo3d »

steps wrote: July 29th, 2020, 9:11 pm I'm a bit confused how store numbers go with VONS.

I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers got messed up along the way.

Numbers got screwed when Albertsons bought Safeway, but mostly the Albertsons stores (the last of the 43xx stores, the Florida division, became 33xx; some of the Louisiana stores that were 27xx became 7xx).
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by steps »

pseudo3d wrote: July 29th, 2020, 9:17 pm
steps wrote: July 29th, 2020, 9:11 pm I'm a bit confused how store numbers go with VONS.

I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers got messed up along the way.

Numbers got screwed when Albertsons bought Safeway, but mostly the Albertsons stores (the last of the 43xx stores, the Florida division, became 33xx; some of the Louisiana stores that were 27xx became 7xx).
That wouldn't surprise me. WeHo Pavilions was originally #2213 (IIRC) and is now in the 3000's as a rebuild. I think it was rebuilt prior to the Albertson's takeover but I'm not 100% on the timeline.

There has to be some logic to how these stores are numbered.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

2300-series store numbers are used for most Vons in San Diego County, no matter how old the store is. 3000-series numbers are used for new stores, including Haggens that they bought back.
The Vons in Oceanside (built around 1995) is 2300-series, like the store on Adams Ave in San Diego. The Adams Ave store is a former Safeway.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Safeway used to have store numbers division specific (3 or 4 digit numbers). At some point in the 00's they wanted to bring all of the store list together, so that meant renumbering some stores. So they went through and made slight changes to some store numbers where the same store number existed in multiple divisions. There is little to no rhyme or reason to their numbering. For instance there were 2 store 260s so the NorCal Store 260 became store 2260. There were 4 store 170s so the NorCal Store 170 became store 4170. There was only one store 262 so NorCal Store 262 got to stay as Store 262. Etc.

Albertsons store numbering had some different logic. As I recall, 1xx stores were (and still are) Intermountain Division specifically Idaho (Reno Stores had this numbering scheme too). 5xx stores were (and still are) Oregon. The old NorCal Albertsons had store 7xxx and SoCal Albertsons had store 6xxx. In that case they did renumber stores in the late 90's.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: July 29th, 2020, 10:29 pm Safeway used to have store numbers division specific (3 or 4 digit numbers). At some point in the 00's they wanted to bring all of the store list together, so that meant renumbering some stores. So they went through and made slight changes to some store numbers where the same store number existed in multiple divisions. There is little to no rhyme or reason to their numbering. For instance there were 2 store 260s so the NorCal Store 260 became store 2260. There were 4 store 170s so the NorCal Store 170 became store 4170. There was only one store 262 so NorCal Store 262 got to stay as Store 262. Etc.

Albertsons store numbering had some different logic. As I recall, 1xx stores were (and still are) Intermountain Division specifically Idaho (Reno Stores had this numbering scheme too). 5xx stores were (and still are) Oregon. The old NorCal Albertsons had store 7xxx and SoCal Albertsons had store 6xxx. In that case they did renumber stores in the late 90's.
Albertsons also used 16xx store numbers in SoCal before ASC. 5xx stores were also in Vancouver, WA.
2xx- Inland NW/Spokane stores
3xx- Utah
4xx- Western WA
8xx- Denver division
9xx- Southwest
10xx- Southwest 2000's stores
22xx- now-defunct Great Plains division
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by Bluelightspecial »

storewanderer wrote: July 29th, 2020, 10:29 pm Safeway used to have store numbers division specific (3 or 4 digit numbers). At some point in the 00's they wanted to bring all of the store list together, so that meant renumbering some stores. So they went through and made slight changes to some store numbers where the same store number existed in multiple divisions. There is little to no rhyme or reason to their numbering. For instance there were 2 store 260s so the NorCal Store 260 became store 2260. There were 4 store 170s so the NorCal Store 170 became store 4170. There was only one store 262 so NorCal Store 262 got to stay as Store 262. Etc.

I'm not 100% sure, so correct me if I'm wrong....but prior to 80's, when a lot of the Safeway stores were still not scanners there were some divisions that had duplicate store numbers. For example, there was a store #1 in Vancouver and a store #1 in Los Angeles (Catalina Island). When Von's took over the southern California Safeways in the 80's they renumbered the stores to 3 digit numbers....completely changing the old numbers...example The old L.A. Safeway #1 became #272. When Safeway bought back the Vons stores (including the old Safeway southern cal stores) they needed to convert them to the Safeway systems. They added a "2" "3" or "4" at the beginning to change the store number from a 2 or 3 digits to 4 digits so there would be no duplication with other divisions. #272 became #2272.
klkla

Post by klkla »

steps wrote: July 29th, 2020, 9:25 pm That wouldn't surprise me. WeHo Pavilions was originally #2213 (IIRC) and is now in the 3000's as a rebuild. I think it was rebuilt prior to the Albertson's takeover but I'm not 100% on the timeline.

There has to be some logic to how these stores are numbered.
The original Safeway at that location was #129 and it became Pavilions #230 after the merger with Vons. I'm not sure when they switched to four digit store numbers.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Hey steps and kikla.........

I have a question about the Pavilions in West Hollywood.

Have you both seen the most recent remodel?

And have you both visited since COVID-19?

I have some observations and wanted to compare to your perspectives.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by steps »

veteran+ wrote: August 4th, 2020, 4:02 pm Hey steps and kikla.........

I have a question about the Pavilions in West Hollywood.

Have you both seen the most recent remodel?

And have you both visited since COVID-19?

I have some observations and wanted to compare to your perspectives.
I haven't been to WeHo Pavilions in several months. The last time I went was early January when I had to pick up soups for wisdom teeth removal since my dentist was around there. I normally avoid that area because of traffic and crowds.

I'll try to make it over there to get a feel of what's going on though.

Anything I should be expecting out of the ordinary? (even during a pandemic lol)