Vons store numbers

California. No non-grocery posts.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Vons store numbers

Post by veteran+ »

Well first off the quality of customer service has really fallen.

Many retailers are using covid-19 as the perfect patsy but I do understand the stress of all this on employees.

One situation stands out for me where every single produce person knows nothing about the taste or quality of fruits. Given covid, I would never now taste a grape or cherry before buying. Obviously that would to be inappropriate.

I talked to the store manager (very nonplussed) and he said they don't taste product any longer. What? How can you sell something and not know what it tastes like. LOL!

Cashiers not friendly, no greeting. Service counter people inattentive. Etc.....

Also the remodel layout is bizarre. Is that the best they could do with all that money? I don't know, I'm just not impressed with anything about the store. But the corner entrance is cool from the outside.

I don't mind paying higher prices but with no luxe feeling and bland customer service ..............MEH!!!!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: August 10th, 2020, 4:19 am Well first off the quality of customer service has really fallen.

Many retailers are using covid-19 as the perfect patsy but I do understand the stress of all this on employees.

One situation stands out for me where every single produce person knows nothing about the taste or quality of fruits. Given covid, I would never now taste a grape or cherry before buying. Obviously that would to be inappropriate.

I talked to the store manager (very nonplussed) and he said they don't taste product any longer. What? How can you sell something and not know what it tastes like. LOL!

Cashiers not friendly, no greeting. Service counter people inattentive. Etc.....

Also the remodel layout is bizarre. Is that the best they could do with all that money? I don't know, I'm just not impressed with anything about the store. But the corner entrance is cool from the outside.

I don't mind paying higher prices but with no luxe feeling and bland customer service ..............MEH!!!!
Sounds like the who cares attitude I experience with the Bishop and Mammoth Lakes Vons whenever I go to those two stores (especially Bishop). But those aren't upscale stores; they are captive audience stores in the middle of nowhere with no real competition for hours.

Your recourse is to return items that are not of expected quality. Buy a bag of grapes or cherries and hope for the best. Not good? Return on next visit. Might be half rotten by then, I guess they can deal with rotten food and issuing a refund. Yes it is an inconvenience but it is the only way when dealing with a store manager who doesn't care about their product quality ("we don't taste it anymore"). Maybe the store manager is just following orders from above. How do they know how the quality is if they don't taste the stuff? This sounds like a store manager who doesn't care one bit about the quality of the products being sold in their store. That may fly in a Pak N Save (I don't think it is okay... but it may fly there) with discount pricing, but in an upscale format store that is not the way to run things. Is loss prevention running the store now, can't spare a grape or two for the produce employee to check for quality and gain product knowledge? Automatic termination for not paying before consuming food in the store? This sort of policy may play in a discount store but in an upscale store this is not acceptable.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

storewanderer wrote: August 10th, 2020, 5:44 pm Your recourse is to return items that are not of expected quality.
Agreed but a lot of stores are not accepting returns at this time. At least that's the policy here.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: August 11th, 2020, 8:43 am
storewanderer wrote: August 10th, 2020, 5:44 pm Your recourse is to return items that are not of expected quality.
Agreed but a lot of stores are not accepting returns at this time. At least that's the policy here.
Be sure to read the "fine print" on that. While most of the signs/slips are just generic about no returns, if you check the websites, many stores do make an exception for items that are not as they should be (spoiled, recalls or other quality problems).

Most of them (I suspect) set up the rule more to keep people from buying way more than needed and causing shortages - figuring that if they knew up front they couldn't return it that would make them think twice and only buy what was needed.