Food Maxx debuts "Wall of Value" ??

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Food Maxx debuts "Wall of Value" ??

Post by storewanderer »

https://progressivegrocer.com/foodmaxx- ... wall-value

I am confused. Every Food Maxx I've ever been into has a wall of values as you walk into the store with pallet displays of various center store items, usually ad items. This is consistent with the Food 4 Less format which Food Maxx is patterned after and also consistent with WinCo and other similar operators.

I don't understand why they are issuing PR saying they are just now introducing something that has been in their stores for the past 20+ years.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Food Maxx debuts "Wall of Value" ??

Post by SamSpade »

((shrug))
They are also coming back to running radio ads (hopefully I'm not leaking anything here) after quite a long period away.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

In Reno/Carson City Food Maxx ran tons of radio ads but stopped early this year. I haven't heard any of the new ones yet. They run ads on some very small Carson City stations also.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Is The Progressive Grocer an advertising site? These supermarket news, retail store news, and drug store news websites seem to be places for advertising. Companies pay these sites to run articles that are advertisements. These articles are often very favorable and seem like propaganda.

Then again, is not everything advertising?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It is odd as I am not sure what audience they are advertising to. Perhaps the vendor community. Definitely not geared toward usual retail customers.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Perhaps it is an advertisement to Wall Street. I don't know. Is The Progessive Grocer a place to make it seem like these companies are financially successful?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I went into the Sparks Food Maxx tonight. They had a big red sign in the window "WALL OF VALUE" but once inside, it is the same old displays of stuff right as you walk in that have been there ever since the store opened... still a table of bakery in the middle of the "wall" and the store, and everything. I am confused. Real bottom of the barrel grocery store they run. The old US Bank Space that mysteriously disappeared is now just an awkward looking empty shell. They must not even have enough traffic to get a check cashing vendor to open up inside. Nobody even watching the self checkouts. Terrible customer service. They ought to try cleaning up their store and getting more than 2 employees in the place on a Friday late afternoon. This place makes Grocery Outlet look like a Whole Foods.
klkla

Post by klkla »

Alpha8472 wrote: August 27th, 2020, 10:25 pm Is The Progressive Grocer an advertising site? These supermarket news, retail store news, and drug store news websites seem to be places for advertising. Companies pay these sites to run articles that are advertisements. These articles are often very favorable and seem like propaganda.

Then again, is not everything advertising?
Progressive Grocer is a trade publication. It's not a typical journalistic site like the New York Times. It seeks to promote the industry in general and just repeats what industry sources give them for publicity such as this article about Food Maxx's 'new' Wall of Values.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Sounds like a store that is struggling and trying to re-image itself. This reminds me of when the long-gone TOP Foods store in Kelso, WA once advertised a grand re-opening, but I didn't see anything that had changed. I asked an employee what changed, he told me they installed new checkstands (moving from bag-your-own to employee bagging)and I think new outside signs. That was it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: August 31st, 2020, 7:50 am Sounds like a store that is struggling and trying to re-image itself. This reminds me of when the long-gone TOP Foods store in Kelso, WA once advertised a grand re-opening, but I didn't see anything that had changed. I asked an employee what changed, he told me they installed new checkstands (moving from bag-your-own to employee bagging)and I think new outside signs. That was it.
I think Food Maxx does pretty well in California, for the most part. Not doing great on the 2 Nevada locations but probably enough to turn a little profit with how cheaply the operate. They have almost no employees. Tough to understand the need to re-market the "wall of values." I wonder if the spaces were empty for months due to product shortages related to COVID and they are now re-marketing it for that reason.