Save Mart phasing out Market Essentials

California. No non-grocery posts.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Save Mart phasing out Market Essentials

Post by HCal »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: July 25th, 2021, 1:26 pm Stater Bros uses TopCare and Simply Done on non-food now. Until 2017, the Stater Bros brand was used for everything.
And I believe they also use Full Circle for organic food items.
Alpha8472

Re: Save Mart phasing out Market Essentials

Post by Alpha8472 »

I visited a Lucky California in Concord, California today. It used to have the Jewel interior as it opened around 2001 as an Albertsons. The Lucky California remodel has really improved the store. It looks new and the refrigerated cases have been replaced.

I noticed more Sunny Select items including waffles.

The Sunny Select brand seems to be getting more extensive.

When Save Mart rebranded their Antioch and Monterrey area stores to Lucky, the customer traffic improved. Those stores used the classic Lucky logo.

The Davis, California Save Mart store was originally Lucky. The shopping center was called Lucky Plaza. When Albertsons took over in 1999, there was much hate for the loss of the Lucky name. The shopping center refused to be renamed to Albertsons Plaza. A compromise was reached and the shopping center was renamed Anderson Plaza. The Lucky brand is still remembered in the Sacramento area as there are many San Francisco Bay Area residents who have fled to Sacramento for the cheaper suburban living especially after the pandemic. Davis borders the edge of the San Francisco Bay Area. Davis was a unique place as it used to have an Albertsons and Lucky at the same time. The Lucky became an Albertsons and the other Albertsons became a Ralphs. This all happened in 1999. Ralphs of course closed their Northern California stores after a few years.

The Lucky brand should have been used in the Sacramento area.