Cardenas Market closing Whittier Location

California. No non-grocery posts.
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Cardenas Market closing Whittier Location

Post by Jeff »

Someone on a local blog (and deleted it shortly after) posted a picture of the closing sign. The building recently sold. This was originally a Lucky that was sold to Stater Bros before they closed in 2019. This store is open for less than a year, as it opened July 1, 2020. Stater Bros will be opening in the new Groves development across the street in 2021.

https://www.whittierdailynews.com/2021/ ... 8-million/
storewanderer

Re: Cardenas Market closing Whittier Location

Post by storewanderer »

What a waste for Cardenas to develop a new store then not be open for more than a year. It appears they did very heavy remodeling to the former Lucky/Stater on the inside as well. This seems like a real waste. The store also looks rather deserted of customers in the photos on Google so maybe this place was losing a lot of money.

I wonder who paid $14.8 million... is Amazon moving in?
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: February 6th, 2021, 7:03 pm What a waste for Cardenas to develop a new store then not be open for more than a year. It appears they did very heavy remodeling to the former Lucky/Stater on the inside as well. This seems like a real waste. The store also looks rather deserted of customers in the photos on Google so maybe this place was losing a lot of money.

Cardenas has had a history of opening bad locations in the past. They are either 1) not very good at negotiating leases or 2) very bad at choosing locations. Will be interesting to see what happens on that property in the future.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Concord, California location also closed after just a few months. It was a shame, as the store was very nicely remodeled and the decor was very intricate.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Great news!

Awful operator.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I had pretty lousy service in their stores in Fresno and Las Vegas but had an okay experience somewhere around Santa Monica. Seemed like their offering was acceptable though. Northgate seemed to have better service and a higher quality offering.

Cardenas also took over the Mi Pueblo Chain in NorCal when Mi Pueblo went bankrupt. I thought Mi Pueblo was absolutely terrible; while stores looked okay, they had bad service, high pricing, though quality was okay, the service and price were just not good.

The problem with Cardenas was they seemed to charge top dollar but have the not great quality of El Super (where the prices were much, much lower). Also I think El Super had better customer service than Cardenas (which isn't saying much).

Now that Cardenas is private equity owned and is a combination of the original Cardenas operation which I would say I am indifferent about at best, plus Mi Pueblo which was terrible, I can imagine the end result is not great.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

We had a pretty delightful experience at their Cathedral City location a couple weeks ago--for variety I headed there with my husband. He got some tacos from the deli area which he liked, I talked him out of getting some of the fresh tortilla chips (the 25 pound bricks of lard put me off), but meat department looked great, full service. I bought some store-made chicken salad which was on promotion for the week--delicious and not heavily mayo-ed but with some mixed vegetables in it...felt lighter than the usual. Center store had reasonable selection; pricing wasn't hugely attractive but since we're getting the ad it's on my radar.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

Amazon Fresh just opened in another location in Whittier, so I don't think they're ready for a second one yet.
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

Finally, the official closing announcement in the news:
https://www.whittierdailynews.com/2021/ ... on-feb-15/

Store slated to close Monday. Quick closing.