Amazon Fresh coming to Sacramento (Citrus Heights)

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Amazon Fresh coming to Sacramento (Citrus Heights)

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: February 17th, 2021, 7:12 am
Over all I am impressed but this is not my cup of tea. Ya'll know by now I am a lazy dude that prefers a One Stop Shop experience.

;)
In the future perhaps they will be able to drone in any items you couldn't find, and have it there by the time you are ready to leave.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: February 17th, 2021, 10:38 pm
veteran+ wrote: February 17th, 2021, 7:12 am
Over all I am impressed but this is not my cup of tea. Ya'll know by now I am a lazy dude that prefers a One Stop Shop experience.

;)
In the future perhaps they will be able to drone in any items you couldn't find, and have it there by the time you are ready to leave.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That would work!
lake52
Cashier
Cashier

Post by lake52 »

Now they're coming to Roseville too. Much less "good" of a location, but better demographics.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/ ... ville.html

-Location wise you already have a Costco & Sprouts in the same shopping center. You also have a Winco, Nugget, Whole Foods, and Bel Air nearby. Essentially 90% of residents in this area would have to pass at least one grocery store to get here. Since I've read these are delivery-centric operations, this isn't a dealbreaker, but I don't see a lot of steady traffic. The Sprouts nearby does marginal at best.
-Also, this store is about a mile as the crow flies to an extremely busy Whole Foods.

Interesting choice when there is so much other real estate available in suburban Placer County. Raley's would probably give up their Douglas location for a price (marginal store that they recently hard balled the lease on), all tons of development in West Roseville/Lincoln, and some vacancies along Sunrise. This location just doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless it was cheap and they don't really care to begin with.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

lake52 wrote: February 18th, 2021, 6:48 pm Now they're coming to Roseville too. Much less "good" of a location, but better demographics.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/ ... ville.html
This location just doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless it was cheap and they don't really care to begin with.
It seems to me like they could have done much better than this... not "much better" but Rocklin Kmart would have been "better" than this (unless Wal Mart being there blocks them from opening there)... Also maybe something down on Harding across from Roseville Square (crummy commercial area but pretty good access to various roads to make deliveries out of)... Even if they are not expecting a lot of walk in traffic, I don't even think this former Toys R Us is ideal for delivery traffic. Driving around this area is a complete pain during busy times (which is a lot of the time). The access for deliveries going to and from this store is iffy at best.

Also I think the center down on Stanford Ranch where there is a CVS (which never was remodeled from Longs) and a Dollar Tree may be an interesting proposition for fulfilling delivery orders. Has Save Mart remodeled its store down there yet?

Are any of Sprouts Stores around Sacramento doing well? Douglas and Citrus Heights-Sunrise both seem very slow. This one in Roseville is the busiest one I've seen. When Sunflower was down in Roseville Square it was quite busy... but with Trader Joe's nearby maybe the sales numbers were awful despite what seemed like good traffic since Sprouts did not keep that one.

A few more location choices like this and it is going to start looking like Fresh & Easy II.
lake52
Cashier
Cashier

Post by lake52 »

storewanderer wrote: February 18th, 2021, 6:58 pm Also I think the center down on Stanford Ranch where there is a CVS (which never was remodeled from Longs) and a Dollar Tree may be an interesting proposition for fulfilling delivery orders. Has Save Mart remodeled its store down there yet?

Are any of Sprouts Stores around Sacramento doing well? Douglas and Citrus Heights-Sunrise both seem very slow. This one in Roseville is the busiest one I've seen. When Sunflower was down in Roseville Square it was quite busy... but with Trader Joe's nearby maybe the sales numbers were awful despite what seemed like good traffic since Sprouts did not keep that one.
It has been about a year since I was down in that part of Rocklin, but Save Mart had not remodeled that store yet. CVS actually tried to move a few years ago and the City of Rocklin wouldn't let them. I bet they could have paid CVS/Dollar Tree to happily leave that area. As more homes are built out in that direction, access will only get better to that area which would be great for a delivery-centric operation.

Sprouts in Roseville just can't do well. They're not poorly run stores, but they just aren't working. Stanford Ranch is busier than Douglas, but the location keeps people away. The Douglas location is just engulfed with practically every participant in the Sacramento grocery market being within a few miles. I do think the Sprouts in Natomas does well as well as the Sprouts in the Land Park area. Overall, I'd think Sprouts struggles in the area, maybe because there is a lot of competition boxing them in? Not sure why they haven't been more popular. Amazon certainly won't help though.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

lake52 wrote: February 18th, 2021, 7:06 pm
It has been about a year since I was down in that part of Rocklin, but Save Mart had not remodeled that store yet. CVS actually tried to move a few years ago and the City of Rocklin wouldn't let them. I bet they could have paid CVS/Dollar Tree to happily leave that area. As more homes are built out in that direction, access will only get better to that area which would be great for a delivery-centric operation.

Sprouts in Roseville just can't do well. They're not poorly run stores, but they just aren't working. Stanford Ranch is busier than Douglas, but the location keeps people away. The Douglas location is just engulfed with practically every participant in the Sacramento grocery market being within a few miles. I do think the Sprouts in Natomas does well as well as the Sprouts in the Land Park area. Overall, I'd think Sprouts struggles in the area, maybe because there is a lot of competition boxing them in? Not sure why they haven't been more popular. Amazon certainly won't help though.
I figured CVS wanted out of that store and that was why it still looked like a Longs inside. And not a good looking Longs either. CVS has already done second remodels on a number of Longs Stores so maybe that one will get a remodel (or has gotten one).

Sprouts opened up in Lincoln too didn't they? I wonder how they do there.

Generally speaking I don't think grocery stores in "power centers" work too well. Parking lots aren't real easy to get in and out of. They usually aren't "right on the way home" for a large commuter traffic group. During holiday periods and weekends the surrounding stores tend to get excessively busy making another access problem. That has been my general observation. Yet Sprouts seems to love to locate in them.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

I know Aldi has been slowly making its way north from SoCal… is this Amazon’s attempt at gaining some market share and cutting off a possible Aldi expansion into NorCal?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: February 24th, 2021, 8:34 pm I know Aldi has been slowly making its way north from SoCal… is this Amazon’s attempt at gaining some market share and cutting off a possible Aldi expansion into NorCal?
It doesn't seem like Amazon is following the same real estate strategy as Aldi typically follows. Also the boxes Amazon is building out are about twice as large as an Aldi box.

I think Amazon is just being Amazon- they want to grow share and they are opening stores. Location isn't as important when they plan to do a large amount of delivery fulfillment from the stores. This will really hurt the other grocers- Raleys, Safeway, etc. Might be time for Amazon to try to buy Raleys, it would give them a great buying foundation and a lot of large well placed stores.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: February 24th, 2021, 10:53 pm
bryceleinan wrote: February 24th, 2021, 8:34 pm I know Aldi has been slowly making its way north from SoCal… is this Amazon’s attempt at gaining some market share and cutting off a possible Aldi expansion into NorCal?
It doesn't seem like Amazon is following the same real estate strategy as Aldi typically follows. Also the boxes Amazon is building out are about twice as large as an Aldi box.

I think Amazon is just being Amazon- they want to grow share and they are opening stores. Location isn't as important when they plan to do a large amount of delivery fulfillment from the stores. This will really hurt the other grocers- Raleys, Safeway, etc. Might be time for Amazon to try to buy Raleys, it would give them a great buying foundation and a lot of large well placed stores.
I’ve always found it quite odd you have two chains (Raley’s and Save Mart) having a substantial presence in NorCal / Northern Nevada (and sharing Super Store Industries / Sunnyside Farms) being “frenemies” of sorts in the same market area. I’ve always thought someone should buy one or the other - Amazon makes sense, Kroger would be the other one.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

bryceleinan wrote: February 27th, 2021, 5:42 pm I’ve always found it quite odd you have two chains (Raley’s and Save Mart) having a substantial presence in NorCal / Northern Nevada (and sharing Super Store Industries / Sunnyside Farms) being “frenemies” of sorts in the same market area. I’ve always thought someone should buy one or the other - Amazon makes sense, Kroger would be the other one.
Well they aren't really in the same market area. Save Mart is in the central valley and bay area, and Raley's is mainly in the Sacramento region. There is some overlap, but not a whole lot.

Both are independent and family-owned, so eventually they might sell out to a regional chain, like so many family-owned supermarkets all over the country. I always thought it would be cool if the three independents in California (these two plus Stater Bros.) combined in order to compete better against the national chains, but that's unlikely.

I don't think Amazon would want to bother buying small chains. They are trying to go big in the national market, so their efforts would probably be better focused on acquiring a chain with broader scope. If Safeway hadn't been acquired by Albertsons, I imagine Amazon would be courting them. Or maybe Ahold Delhaize if its owners give up on the US. But for now, Amazon seems to be happy with opening its own stores.