Gelsons Sold to Japanese company PPIH

California. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Gelsons Sold to Japanese company PPIH

Post by SamSpade »

Interesting. I don't know much about either so I can't say one way or another.

The last linked article claims that Gelson's competes with Raley's. That's a new one. :?:
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

SamSpade wrote: February 24th, 2021, 10:25 am Interesting. I don't know much about either so I can't say one way or another.

The last linked article claims that Gelson's competes with Raley's. That's a new one. :?:
They don't compete. Gelson's is only in SoCal. That article is a bunch of malarkey :lol:
klkla

Post by klkla »

I don't get the synergy between PPIH and Gelson's.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

If that is what PPIH likes, they should also buy Jensen's in the Palm Springs area.

;)
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

There might be an interesting roll-up opportunity between Gelsons, Bristol Farms and Jensen's. They're all nice, but I struggle to articulate any difference between them...maybe Gelson's is a little more "conventional" but they all are tranquil, pleasant environments.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Times is nothing special- marginal conventional store is all I'll say. C&S supplied I think... Don Quijote has some deals but is quite awful.

I really do not see the synergy with Gelson's... at ALL (Supervalu/UNFI supplied). At all. Hopefully the other operations are far enough away that they will not screw up Gelson's high standards.

Bristol is already controlled by an overseas group who bought Metro Market in Seattle and New Seasons in Portland. But those are all pretty good quality operations... though different formats, all kind of along the same line (organic vs. gourmet).
Last edited by storewanderer on February 24th, 2021, 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by Bluelightspecial »

klkla wrote: February 24th, 2021, 11:21 am I don't get the synergy between PPIH and Gelson's.
I agree, I don't see the synergy. I've been to many Times, Big Save and Don Quixoite markets when I lived in Hawaii and their product mix, price points, service level and merchandising are completely different than Gelsons. I could see some of the Gelsons locations, especially in Orange County, working under this model..but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the lower volume locations would be sold off.
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: February 24th, 2021, 10:48 pm Times is nothing special- marginal conventional store is all I'll say. C&S supplied I think... Don Quijote has some deals but is quite awful.

I really do not see the synergy with Gelson's... at ALL (Supervalu/UNFI supplied).
And Supervalu/Unfi supplied products only account for about 25% of Gelson's sales.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Bluelightspecial wrote: February 24th, 2021, 10:49 pm I agree, I don't see the synergy. I've been to many Times, Big Save and Don Quixoite markets when I lived in Hawaii and their product mix, price points, service level and merchandising are completely different than Gelsons. I could see some of the Gelsons locations, especially in Orange County, working under this model..but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the lower volume locations would be sold off.
They definitely should sell off the former Haggens they bought which are underperforming. In that case, they would exit San Diego County.
I can imagine Stater Bros would want some of them. They bought the Pavilions/Haggens/Gelsons in Ladera Ranch. In fact, I think Stater Bros should've bought the whole Gelsons chain.
That, or Albertsons could buy back some of their former stores, like Del Mar, which was one of the highest performing Albertsons in the county before Haggen bought it. They could also buy their store back in La Costa.
I can see Stater buying the Gelsons stores in Laguna Beach and Thousand Oaks, maybe Pacific Beach.

A footnote: There has been musical chairs in the Laguna Beach supermarket scene for a while. Albertsons has operated in all 3 supermarket buildings in Laguna Beach.
1999: Albertsons divests old 60's store to Ralphs, moves into former Alpha Beta/Lucky in south Laguna
2015: Albertsons divests the former Lucky to Haggen after merger with Safeway, keeps Pavilions (former Safeway/Vons) on the north end of town