Vons closing Lompoc store

California. No non-grocery posts.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Vons closing Lompoc store

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

I think this store is a former Lucky. There is an Albertsons up the street.
https://keyt.com/news/santa-maria-north ... ng-in-may/
storewanderer

Re: Vons closing Lompoc store

Post by storewanderer »

Was this one of the stores that was first sold to Certified then Vons ended up with it later?

What is strange is in the liquor licenses it shows this place had an active license as Albertsons in November 1999 and Vons was not active at this location until 2001. Most of the divested stores were already divested before November 1999.

They will be closing the Vons Fuel Station also.

I suspect a hispanic grocer is taking this lease. Maybe the store wasn't even failing. Didn't Vons previously have two stores in Lompoc? I feel like I was in a real dive of a Vons there in the past... definitely not this store that is closing which looks like a typical Safeway.

The Albertsons was divested to Haggen then re-claimed by Albertsons. Funny how in the end one of the stores ends up going away anyway.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Ralphs was originally going to buy this store during the 1999 divestitures, but Certified might've ended up with it.
surfingdude
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by surfingdude »

Ralphs did purchase this location as a part of the consent decree. As I recall, there were some LL issues. Vons ended up with the store after a rebuild and relocated from 1309 N. H St. in April, 2001. It appears the initial lease term is up. The store at 1309 N. H St. was a former Williams Bros. built in 1985. 729 N. H St. was a much better location, and was a high volume store for Lucky.

https://lompocrecord.com/news/local/new ... 005d3.html
klkla

Post by klkla »

surfingdude wrote: March 8th, 2021, 2:15 pm Ralphs did purchase this location as a part of the consent decree. As I recall, there were some LL issues. Vons ended up with the store after a rebuild and relocated from 1309 N. H St. in April, 2001. It appears the initial lease term is up. The store at 1309 N. H St. was a former Williams Bros. built in 1985. 729 N. H St. was a much better location, and was a high volume store for Lucky.

https://lompocrecord.com/news/local/new ... 005d3.html
Thanks for the link to the article. Interesting article.
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by Bluelightspecial »

storewanderer wrote: February 27th, 2021, 11:11 pm Was this one of the stores that was first sold to Certified then Vons ended up with it later?

What is strange is in the liquor licenses it shows this place had an active license as Albertsons in November 1999 and Vons was not active at this location until 2001. Most of the divested stores were already divested before November 1999.

I suspect a hispanic grocer is taking this lease. Maybe the store wasn't even failing. Didn't Vons previously have two stores in Lompoc? I feel like I was in a real dive of a Vons there in the past... definitely not this store that is closing which looks like a typical Safeway.

The Albertsons was divested to Haggen then re-claimed by Albertsons. Funny how in the end one of the stores ends up going away anyway.
After Vons bought the Williams Bros chain they had 3 stores in Lompoc for a short time. There was another store on Ocean Ave that is now a Grocery Outlet. Before that there were no Vons in Lompoc. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Safeway in Lompoc at some point.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Bluelightspecial wrote: March 8th, 2021, 4:53 pm
storewanderer wrote: February 27th, 2021, 11:11 pm Was this one of the stores that was first sold to Certified then Vons ended up with it later?

After Vons bought the Williams Bros chain they had 3 stores in Lompoc for a short time. There was another store on Ocean Ave that is now a Grocery Outlet. Before that there were no Vons in Lompoc. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Safeway in Lompoc at some point.
I lived in Lompoc in '82-'83. There was no Safeway then. Williams Bros. on Ocean Ave. and Lucky on H Street were my go to stores. Lompoc is a small town. It got a lot of new growth in anticipation of being the West Coast SpacePort which got scuttled because of the space shuttle explosion. It never recovered from that. It's just become a much lower cost exurb of Santa Barbara. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

The store is going to be split into two tenants. I doubt a Latino grocer would take it. Lompoc isn't as Hispanic as Santa Maria.

Last time I was in the Albertsons was right after they took it back from Haggan. They did virtually nothing to the store upon retaking it and it was already in poor shape. I can only imagine how bad it is now as the article alludes to (in hoping they'll give it needed upgrading). After seeing two recent Vons remodels this year, Corona South (Temescal Valley) and Sun City (Menifee), Albertsons is doing pretty cheap half-assed remodels so I wouldn't hope for much.
https://santamariatimes.com/business/lo ... 3ff3a.html
surfingdude
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by surfingdude »

There was a Safeway at the southern end (605 N. H St.) of the same center in which the current Vons is closing which opened in 1960 and closed in 1980. The building is now occupied by Michael's.
I found a Google image of the center at Christmas 1960, which shows the Safeway to the South and Woolworth/Jordano's, the site of the current Vons, to the North. I could not attach the photo. Google: Lompoc Shopping Center 1960.

Wonder if Aldi is one of the two new tenants. They have a store in Arroyo Grande and one under construction in Santa Maria.
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by Bluelightspecial »

CalItalian wrote: March 9th, 2021, 9:40 am
Bluelightspecial wrote: March 8th, 2021, 4:53 pm

I lived in Lompoc in '82-'83. There was no Safeway then. Williams Bros. on Ocean Ave. and Lucky on H Street were my go to stores. Lompoc is a small town. It got a lot of new growth in anticipation of being the West Coast SpacePort which got scuttled because of the space shuttle explosion. It never recovered from that. It's just become a much lower cost exurb of Santa Barbara. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html
I don't know what was happening in 82'-83' but at somepoint Williams Bros took over the Lucky on H St. Per the local directory in 1992 the 3 Williams Bros store's that ended up being sold to Vons were at:

316 E. Ocean Ave.
1124 W. Ocean Ave.
1309 N. H St (probably the old Lucky)