Nugget Opens 2nd Roseville Store

California. No non-grocery posts.
lake52
Cashier
Cashier

Nugget Opens 2nd Roseville Store

Post by lake52 »

Nugget opened their second Roseville store today. It is only a few miles from their other Roseville store which is surprising for a small upscale chain. Overall, the store looks great. It has the same layout as their other Roseville store but with some updated aesthetics. They have some extremely cheesy videos on their Facebook page linked below.

It will be interesting to see how this store does. Across the street you have a relatively mediocre Safeway. A couple miles in both directions you will have a Raley’s (one under construction). The Woodcreek Oak Raleys (former Ralph’s) is their busiest Raley’s in the area. Funny enough Nugget actually bought this location from Ralph’s but decided not to move forward with the store, selling to Raley’s. You also have a whole assortment of discounters (including the rumored Amazon Fresh) on the Highway 65 corridor. Nuggets other Roseville store does great volume despite tremendous competition so I think they’ll be alright as long as two stores in close proximity don’t cannibalize each other.

https://m.facebook.com/NuggetMarketsWestRoseville/
storewanderer

Re: Nugget Opens 2nd Roseville Store

Post by storewanderer »

At the time Nugget had the opportunity to reopen the Woodcreek Oaks Ralphs their existing Roseville Store was not doing too well (Whole Foods had just opened nearby) and the economy was stalling out.

However it is too bad they did not go through with it as they would have done pretty well there. Also it was a dumb move for Kroger to exit those stores in the first place- but it sure worked well for Nugget as it got them 2 great performing stores in El Dorado Hills and Elk Grove. It also worked okay for Raleys as it got them a couple stores. And also worked great for Safeway as it got them a few stores and also removed what is a very strong competitor elsewhere (and would have become stronger in NorCal as Kroger got a lot better on price subsequent to its exit from Ralphs NorCal).
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

It's great to see independent players opening stores. Roseville is probably a good market for them. But I wish they would get more into the discount market, because shoppers are getting more price-sensitive these days. I wonder if they are planning any more Food 4 Less locations.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Nugget closed the Vallejo F4L and converted the Cameron Park F4L to "Forklift" which is basically a Nugget that is laid out like a F4L minus all of the extensive service departments. I doubt they will be opening more F4L Stores. They do have the F4L in Woodland still.

Nugget knows what they do well- operate a gourmet upscale service oriented store. Their prices are not the best but you get what you pay for and they aren't exactly out of line on pricing either, relative to Raleys, Save Mart, and Safeway.

I am disappointed Nugget did not go through with its Truckee Store as I would have liked to have a Nugget closer but I think that was a wise decision as I think they would have had trouble there.