Save Mart to implement shelf scanning robots

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Save Mart to implement shelf scanning robots

Post by storewanderer »

To track out of stocks.
https://www.supermarketnews.com/technol ... ing-robots

What is the point- their customer counts are pretty low- and their price scale is set up in such a way (no hot deals that cause shelves to clear quick) they have few out of stocks. They have improved their pricing but it is more on a category basis they have improved pricing across all/most items in a given category. This is not an issue for Save Mart. If the shelf is empty it is because there is nothing in the back room and it is an out of stock due to the warehouse...
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Save Mart to implement shelf scanning robots

Post by HCal »

FoodMaxx locations near me are fairly high volume, so this might be useful there if the trial is successful. Alternatively, it's possible that the robotics company gave them a good deal in order to try out the technology and work out any issues before introducing it to larger retailers.
storewanderer

Re: Save Mart to implement shelf scanning robots

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: April 17th, 2021, 11:23 pm FoodMaxx locations near me are fairly high volume, so this might be useful there if the trial is successful. Alternatively, it's possible that the robotics company gave them a good deal in order to try out the technology and work out any issues before introducing it to larger retailers.
I think Wal Mart was using robots (different provider) for this purpose and ended that trial as the results were not good. I think there were a number of issues with the robot use at Wal Mart: Wal Mart stores are too busy; too many customers in the way of the robot. Wal Mart's shelves are often a mess, again it is pretty difficult for a robot to detect out of stocks on a messy shelf.

Food Maxx does terrible in Sparks and Carson City. Not sure they even do as much volume as the Save Marts they replaced. Food Maxx probably makes more money since they only seem to have about 5 employees on duty total at a time even on a weekend in the afternoon. You basically have one cashier, nobody explicitly watching self checkout, someone in meat, someone in produce, someone in bakery, and a manager trying to manage and also cover self check.