Safeway Hercules Grand Opening

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Safeway Hercules Grand Opening

Post by storewanderer »

https://richmondstandard.com/community/ ... d-opening/

This store took a long, long time to develop.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Safeway Hercules Grand Opening

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Cool exterior!
I also like the Modern interior, however it would look better if the store had a drop ceiling.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The shocking thing is that there is no Starbucks. Safeway has been adding Starbucks ever since the Lifestyle decor back around 2003. I remember first seeing a brand new Albertsons in Pleasant Hill, California with an in store Starbucks back around 2000. That Starbucks Cafe influenced Safeway to add Starbucks to their stores.

Peet's Coffee was a local San Francisco Bay Area chain, until they were sold to foreign owners. Now people seem to prefer Starbucks as Peet's has lost its local charm.

I am also shocked that Chase is opening up a bank branch inside of a supermarket. Wells Fargo and US Bank have been closing their supermarket branches like crazy. I do not know of any other supermarket with a bank left now.

These new Safeway stores have large glass windows. This is something that Safeway started with their new store in Walnut Creek, California.

Previously Safeway loved to cover up the windows on their stores to keep the stores extra dark.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The El Dorado Hills Safeway did not have a Starbucks inside when it initially opened last summer but since then a Starbucks did open inside the store.

The Reno Safeway that is opening soon will have a Starbucks inside.

Safeway also grand opened a store in San Jose today; not sure if it has a Starbucks.

Safeway has been running aggressive promotions to get traffic to the Starbucks counters. In the past six weeks I've had 2 $5 off any Starbucks purchase, 1 $1 off any Starbucks purchase, and ongoing 5x fuel points on Starbucks purchases via the Safeway app. Also some weeks in there they have run a club card special with any grande drink and any pastry for $5.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 28th, 2021, 10:47 pm The shocking thing is that there is no Starbucks. Safeway has been adding Starbucks ever since the Lifestyle decor back around 2003. I remember first seeing a brand new Albertsons in Pleasant Hill, California with an in store Starbucks back around 2000. That Starbucks Cafe influenced Safeway to add Starbucks to their stores.

Peet's Coffee was a local San Francisco Bay Area chain, until they were sold to foreign owners. Now people seem to prefer Starbucks as Peet's has lost its local charm.

I am also shocked that Chase is opening up a bank branch inside of a supermarket. Wells Fargo and US Bank have been closing their supermarket branches like crazy. I do not know of any other supermarket with a bank left now.

These new Safeway stores have large glass windows. This is something that Safeway started with their new store in Walnut Creek, California.

Previously Safeway loved to cover up the windows on their stores to keep the stores extra dark.
Chase is in a separate building. They stated that as leases expire on their in-store branches, they are on the way out. All the Fred Meyer branches (former WaMu) are starting to close down, and US Bank is pretty much done with Safeway. About the only institutions you'll see in newer Safeway stores are credit unions.