Smart & Final to be acquired by Bodega Latina

California. No non-grocery posts.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Smart & Final to be acquired by Bodega Latina

Post by HCal »

Very interesting... Bodega Latina is a subsidiary of a Mexican company, and owns El Super and other Hispanic-focused chains in the US.

I got the feeling that Apollo wasn't going to keep Smart & Final for too long, but I could have never guessed who they would sell to.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Smart & Final to be acquired by Bodega Latina

Post by veteran+ »

HCal wrote: May 14th, 2021, 12:54 am Very interesting... Bodega Latina is a subsidiary of a Mexican company, and owns El Super and other Hispanic-focused chains in the US.

I got the feeling that Apollo wasn't going to keep Smart & Final for too long, but I could have never guessed who they would sell to.
Can't wait to see how much "better" Smart & Final will be...................

:lol:
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: May 14th, 2021, 6:56 am
HCal wrote: May 14th, 2021, 12:54 am Very interesting... Bodega Latina is a subsidiary of a Mexican company, and owns El Super and other Hispanic-focused chains in the US.

El Super and Smart & Final seem to have similar store standards and store operations. Also very similar on quality of products in fresh departments. Actually I shouldn't have even used the word "quality" in that last sentence. But at least in the case of El Super, the prices are dirt cheap.

However El Super seems to have way better prices. I also think El Super has a much better understanding of who its customer is, how to successfully cater to said customer, and how to merchandise. El Super is a successful format, has closed few stores, and has grown.

I seem to recall El Super was using Unified/Supervalu in the past for quite a bit of product. I wonder if with Smart & Final they can start to self-distribute more.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote: May 14th, 2021, 12:39 pm
veteran+ wrote: May 14th, 2021, 6:56 am

El Super and Smart & Final seem to have similar store standards and store operations. Also very similar on quality of products in fresh departments. Actually I shouldn't have even used the word "quality" in that last sentence. But at least in the case of El Super, the prices are dirt cheap.

However El Super seems to have way better prices. I also think El Super has a much better understanding of who its customer is, how to successfully cater to said customer, and how to merchandise. El Super is a successful format, has closed few stores, and has grown.

I seem to recall El Super was using Unified/Supervalu in the past for quite a bit of product. I wonder if with Smart & Final they can start to self-distribute more.
Hopefully this means that the pricing at Smart and Final will be lower (or more competative).

Anyone have any knowledge of how Fiesta has changed after the purchase by Bodega Latina?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I'd like to see some stores converted to El Super. Maybe some of the former Haggen Stores would make good conversions. I can't think of any offhand but I am sure there are some...

Fiesta isn't exactly a warehouse format like El Super, it is more of a conventional with a hispanic product focus.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: May 15th, 2021, 12:28 am I'd like to see some stores converted to El Super. Maybe some of the former Haggen Stores would make good conversions. I can't think of any offhand but I am sure there are some...

Fiesta isn't exactly a warehouse format like El Super, it is more of a conventional with a hispanic product focus.
UGH............I hope not.

:(
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

The closest it gets to an official press release that I could find.

I actually work across the street from a new location that open some 3 years ago.While I prefer a conventional supermorket,it has served me well for certain basic items that I need.
For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote: May 16th, 2021, 1:37 pm The closest it gets to an official press release that I could find.

I actually work across the street from a new location that open some 3 years ago.While I prefer a conventional supermorket,it has served me well for certain basic items that I need.
Basic packaged goods yes, they can be okay.

The El Super, the Fiesta, and the Smart & Final Extra are 3 very different formats of store. It will be interesting to see how this is handled going forward.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: May 16th, 2021, 2:11 pm The El Super, the Fiesta, and the Smart & Final Extra are 3 very different formats of store. It will be interesting to see how this is handled going forward.
Dare I say it, Bodega Latina should probably dissolve the Smart & Final Extra format. Convert stores in Latino neighborhoods to El Super (although El Super operates larger stores than S&F), while selling stores in other areas to Albertsons or Stater.
I can't believe that S&F bought nice former Albertsons stores from Haggen (San Pedro, Newport Beach, Carlsbad Village, Quartz Hill, Westlake Village, Mira Mesa). People in those areas want the Albertsons back.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: May 20th, 2021, 10:46 am Dare I say it, Bodega Latina should probably dissolve the Smart & Final Extra format. Convert stores in Latino neighborhoods to El Super (although El Super operates larger stores than S&F), while selling stores in other areas to Albertsons or Stater.
I can't believe that S&F bought nice former Albertsons stores from Haggen (San Pedro, Newport Beach, Carlsbad Village, Quartz Hill, Westlake Village, Mira Mesa). People in those areas want the Albertsons back.
I'll take a S&F Extra over an Albertsons any day of the week. There's plenty of conventional supermarkets like Albertsons around. S&F Extra provides bulk items and lower prices.

While there may be some conversions, overall I think El Super will borrow from S&F (supply chain, private label products) more than the other way around.

Since I don't think this was a leveraged buyout, they won't feel pressure to sell stores right away.