Food Source Closing- Hayward, CA 6/4

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Food Source Closing- Hayward, CA 6/4

Post by storewanderer »

Food Source had the 93/7 grind at 4.98/lb everyday but Raleys runs that sale price about every 4 weeks too. Food Source was pretty good for cheap but trustworthy meat the past few years. 3.98/lb cubed steaks and they were great. Actually a number of things I miss about the Reno Food Source.

Have never bought meat at Food Maxx and probably wouldn't based on the amount of brown meat they have out historically in Sparks and Carson City. The departments have looked better the past year but I saw bad stuff one too many times in the past. Generally speaking I find Food Maxx to be a terrible store based on Sparks (especially) and Carson City. I do not recall Food Maxx in CA being nearly as bad as these two stores are.
SeaWolfFan

Post by SeaWolfFan »

storewanderer wrote: August 4th, 2021, 12:20 am Food Source had the 93/7 grind at 4.98/lb everyday but Raleys runs that sale price about every 4 weeks too. Food Source was pretty good for cheap but trustworthy meat the past few years. 3.98/lb cubed steaks and they were great. Actually a number of things I miss about the Reno Food Source.
Perhaps this is drifting away from the topic of Food Source closing but I honestly don't know where else to ask. Did something happen about a dozen years ago to cause the price of hamburger to permanently go up?

When I moved to California in 2000 I could often buy 73% lean hamburger at Nob Hill for $0.99/lb. After the store near me closed I could still find cheap hamburger at Albertson's, which I presumed was loose meat that had been sitting in the display case all day and what didn't sell at the end of the day was packaged up and marked down. That ended when Albertson's was sold to Save Mart and rebadged as Lucky's in 2006.

But until I found $1.98/lb hamburger at Food Source I thought the only way to get hamburger for under $3/lb was to get a 5 or 10 pound chub at Smart & Final which is way more than what I need.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

SeaWolfFan wrote: August 20th, 2021, 1:56 am
Perhaps this is drifting away from the topic of Food Source closing but I honestly don't know where else to ask. Did something happen about a dozen years ago to cause the price of hamburger to permanently go up?

When I moved to California in 2000 I could often buy 73% lean hamburger at Nob Hill for $0.99/lb. After the store near me closed I could still find cheap hamburger at Albertson's, which I presumed was loose meat that had been sitting in the display case all day and what didn't sell at the end of the day was packaged up and marked down. That ended when Albertson's was sold to Save Mart and rebadged as Lucky's in 2006.

But until I found $1.98/lb hamburger at Food Source I thought the only way to get hamburger for under $3/lb was to get a 5 or 10 pound chub at Smart & Final which is way more than what I need.
I don't know why the pricing is so high for this in CA. With Safeway running 80/20 at 7.99/lb which I find outrageous... (though they will go down as low as 1.99/lb with a coupon or some other hoop for a "mega pack" some weeks). that seems to be where the region price is going. Raleys does a lot of 4.97/lb sales on 93/7... about every 3 weeks... and then about every 6 weeks they will do a 2.99/lb on 80/20 and those are for any package size.

In Reno at Smiths they have in their service case a PS ground round 85/15 at 4.49/lb and a PS ground sirloin 90/10 at 5.99/lb regular price, but the ground round is frequently on sale (3.47-3.97/lb) basically every other week. Best value in the market.

That old .99/lb Albertsons deal at night was an absolute steal even back then. I used to take advantage of that too.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

IMO, ground beef is one of the biggest bargains. In SoCal, at mainstream grocers, you can get as little 80/20 as you’d like for $4/lb (often on sale for $2-3, but with a minimum purchase). Discount grocers sell it for $3, as does Costco, but it generally requires a minimum purchase. 73/17 is usually sold as frozen chubs and generally not as competitively priced, although I frequently see it at Aldi for $2.

These prices really haven’t changed much in the past two decades, but that may quickly change. When I was in a Target last night, I noticed the price of their 1 lb. package went up from $4 to $6.