Gelson's Opening New Store in West L.A.

California. No non-grocery posts.
klkla

Gelson's Opening New Store in West L.A.

Post by klkla »

Gelson's is opening a new 36,000 sq. ft. store at the corner of Wilshire & Bundy in West L.A. at the former site of Martin Cadillac. It will be part of a large complex that also includes 600 apartments and 200,000 sq. ft. of office/retail space.

I think this will be the first store authorized by new owner Pan Pacific International Holdings (Although I'm not 100% sure that deal has closed, yet). The last newly constructed Gelson's were planned in 2014 and are in Rancho Mission Viejo and Manhattan Beach. And they bought eight stores from Haggen during that company's bankruptcy filing in 2015 while they were owned by TPG Capital.

https://commercialobserver.com/2021/06/ ... ent-lease/

The article also mentions that CGI Strategies and Megdal Investments acquired a 24,000-square-foot retail property in L.A.’s Los Feliz neighborhood, which the venture is redeveloping into an organic grocery operated by Lazy Acres Market. This property was originally a Ralphs but has been a Rite Aid for at least 20 years. This will definitely have an impact on the Gelson's 7 blocks west at Franklin & Bronson which hasn't had any direct competition in that part of East Hollywood in a long time. The Ralphs on Western & Hollywood is the closest grocery store and not as convenient for the wealthy residents that live in the hills north of Franklin. The Lazy Acres will have much less impact on the Gelson's in Los Feliz which is three miles east.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Gelson's Opening New Store in West L.A.

Post by Bagels »

It's fascinating to watch the continued segregation of the local grocery scene. Gelson's, Bristol Farms/Lazy Acres, Whole Foods, Erewhon, etc. are increasingly squeezing out traditional competition in high discretionary income areas. Ethic supermarkets have already done so in heavily ethnic areas. Etc.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

klkla wrote: June 5th, 2021, 11:32 am Gelson's is opening a new 36,000 sq. ft. store at the corner of Wilshire & Bundy in West L.A. at the former site of Martin Cadillac. It will be part of a large complex that also includes 600 apartments and 200,000 sq. ft. of office/retail space.

I think this will be the first store authorized by new owner Pan Pacific International Holdings (Although I'm not 100% sure that deal has closed, yet). The last newly constructed Gelson's were planned in 2014 and are in Rancho Mission Viejo and Manhattan Beach. And they bought eight stores from Haggen during that company's bankruptcy filing in 2015 while they were owned by TPG Capital.

https://commercialobserver.com/2021/06/ ... ent-lease/

The article also mentions that CGI Strategies and Megdal Investments acquired a 24,000-square-foot retail property in L.A.’s Los Feliz neighborhood, which the venture is redeveloping into an organic grocery operated by Lazy Acres Market. This property was originally a Ralphs but has been a Rite Aid for at least 20 years. This will definitely have an impact on the Gelson's 7 blocks west at Franklin & Bronson which hasn't had any direct competition in that part of East Hollywood in a long time. The Ralphs on Western & Hollywood is the closest grocery store and not as convenient for the wealthy residents that live in the hills north of Franklin. The Lazy Acres will have much less impact on the Gelson's in Los Feliz which is three miles east.
You have the wrong intersection. It's Olympic and Bundy. Ralphs Fresh Fare has two locations to the east at Olympic and Barrington and to the west at Olympic and Cloverfield. This property is next to to Fox 11/My 13 studios. I am not sure this is the greatest location for a Gelson's. Lots of traffic. And it isn't going to be the easiest store to get in and out of.
klkla

Post by klkla »

CalItalian wrote: June 7th, 2021, 12:22 am
You have the wrong intersection. It's Olympic and Bundy.
You are correct. It's Olympic, not Wilshire. Thanks for catching that.