California and new pork law

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: California and new pork law

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 12:48 am It could effect even medicines like insulin, which is derived from pork and beef. And anything made from pigs (Remember the saying “everything but the squeal”)
I wonder if it impacts pet food too. Looks like most pork pet food is already designer brands.

Also don't see it hitting the major fast foods too much aside from the breakfast but with as marked up as fast food breakfast items have gotten I think they can likely absorb a cost increase- main item it will hit is sausage and bacon but those are not really key fast food items anyway.

Huge hit to various independent restaurants focusing on breakfast, ethnic restaurants, etc. They will not be able to absorb a cost increase.

Still not clear if it applies to raw meat only or also processed foods. Expect this law will not be followed if it applies to processed foods.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

jamcool wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 12:48 am It could effect even medicines like insulin, which is derived from pork and beef. And anything made from pigs (Remember the saying “everything but the squeal”)
No, the lawhttps://vig.cdn.sos.ca.gov/2018/general ... pdf#prop12specifically states that it refers to "whole veal meat" and "whole pork meat".

"“Whole pork meat” means any uncooked cut of pork, including bacon, ham, chop, ribs, riblet, loin, shank, leg, roast, brisket, steak, sirloin, or cutlet, that is comprised entirely of pork meat, except for seasoning, curing agents, coloring, flavoring, preservatives, and similar meat additives. Whole pork meat does not include combination food products, including soups, sandwiches, pizzas, hotdogs, or similar processed or prepared food products, that are
comprised of more than pork meat, seasoning, curing agents, coloring, flavoring, preservatives, and similar meat additives"
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 12:59 am
No, the lawhttps://vig.cdn.sos.ca.gov/2018/general ... pdf#prop12specifically states that it refers to "whole veal meat" and "whole pork meat".

"“Whole pork meat” means any uncooked cut of pork, including bacon, ham, chop, ribs, riblet, loin, shank, leg, roast, brisket, steak, sirloin, or cutlet, that is comprised entirely of pork meat, except for seasoning, curing agents, coloring, flavoring, preservatives, and similar meat additives. Whole pork meat does not include combination food products, including soups, sandwiches, pizzas, hotdogs, or similar processed or prepared food products, that are
comprised of more than pork meat, seasoning, curing agents, coloring, flavoring, preservatives, and similar meat additives"
Well, that clears that up.

Looks like the turkey bacon business is about to boom in CA.

I wonder if CA will check for entry of pork at the state line at the agricultural inspection stations.

At least the good independent breakfast places will likely survive if they are near the state line and can just drive to the next state to buy their pork-related products. Technically illegal but who is going to enforce it?
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 1:02 am
HCal wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 12:59 am

Well, that clears that up.

Looks like the turkey bacon business is about to boom in CA.

I wonder if CA will check for entry of pork at the state line at the agricultural inspection stations.

At least the good independent breakfast places will likely survive if they are near the state line and can just drive to the next state to buy their pork-related products. Technically illegal but who is going to enforce it?
For that matter, since it says "Uncooked cut", just start selling far more "precooked" bacon (which some places probably already use anyway) instead of the raw stuff.

Note also that first reply was from reading the first linked item, where it didn't say (or I didn't see) anything about the sold part, just the raised part.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

storewanderer wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 1:02 am

The thing with CA is that there are hardly any population centers near state borders. The CA side of the state lines are mostly empty desert with a few small towns scattered. So I doubt this will be a major factor. Maybe some restaurants in the Tahoe area might try it.

As for enforcement, I'm guessing it will be based following up on complaints/tips and verifying paperwork. Actually going out and monitoring the flow of products at borders doesn't really seem practical.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 10:24 pm
The thing with CA is that there are hardly any population centers near state borders. The CA side of the state lines are mostly empty desert with a few small towns scattered. So I doubt this will be a major factor. Maybe some restaurants in the Tahoe area might try it.

As for enforcement, I'm guessing it will be based following up on complaints/tips and verifying paperwork. Actually going out and monitoring the flow of products at borders doesn't really seem practical.
Well, a number of small restaurants around Tahoe buy their supplies down in Reno/Carson City anyway. So it will be less of "trying it" and more of just continuing to do what they have always done. Also the inspection stations are not at the state line but a ways in. You can basically get anywhere in Tahoe from Nevada without passing an inspection station until you leave Tahoe on 50.

Different inspection stations check for different things. The one on I-80 in Truckee doesn't check for much of anything. Basically just waives you through if you have a CA or NV plate. They tend to ask questions of other state plates I have noticed. But I had some fruits taken at the Yreka inspection station as CA was not allowing in certain fruit types (I think it was cherries) from OR. At that station I entered in a vehicle with a CA plate and was asked if I had and plants or produce, declared what I had, and was told the cherries could not come in but the rest could.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

They will probably just continue then. I doubt independent restaurants are going to be a high priority for enforcement.

Nevada apparently has passed a cage-free egg law similar to California's. I wonder if they will copy California's pork law too.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: August 3rd, 2021, 11:56 pm They will probably just continue then. I doubt independent restaurants are going to be a high priority for enforcement.

Nevada apparently has passed a cage-free egg law similar to California's. I wonder if they will copy California's pork law too.
Yes, we just passed the egg law. I think it goes into effect in a couple years. Aren't all eggs supposed to be cage free throughout the US by 2025?

When the egg law first passed in CA, first the CA grocers (Safeway, Raleys, Save Mart) with locations around Reno tried to push the egg price up to $5 a dozen. That didn't work since Smiths, WinCo, and Wal Mart kept selling eggs at $1 a dozen and Scolaris around $1.50 a dozen (from an OR supplier Willamette). After a couple months, Save Mart and Raleys started to order eggs DSD from some vendor that was bringing in non-CA eggs and got the price down below $2 a dozen. Safeway in its expected tone deaf nature kept the same terrible CA pricing for almost a year but eventually just kept bringing in the CA eggs and moved them down to around $3 a dozen.

Fast forward to today and the CA egg cost has gone down to the point that the CA grocers sell the CA eggs again in NV but with a lower price point. Evidently they are still making money. In fact right now here in Reno, Safeway has dozen CA compliant eggs that got driven over here from Tracy for just 1.39 everyday low price. The same exact Value Corner dozen large eggs at a CA Safeway are 2.99. Save Mart's egg pricing varies by store and it is a wide variance; some stores around the $1 and one store with limited competition probably over $2.

NV won't pass anything regarding pork until at least 2023 because that is the next legislative session. Nevada only has legislative session every 2 years. So at least we have some time before that happens. And another election.