Albertsons’ Soaring Prices

California. No non-grocery posts.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Albertsons’ Soaring Prices

Post by CalItalian »

Bagels wrote: October 4th, 2021, 12:18 pm
CalItalian wrote: October 4th, 2021, 9:48 am Prices are rising, package sizes are shrinking across a broad spectrum of products because of stagflation. To single out Albertsons Companies stores is ridiculous. Even Dollar Tree, the last holdout of true dollar stores, is throwing in the towel because of Bidenflation and activist shareholder demands. Read investor blogs to learn what is going to occur. We knew this months ago and it's not even the bottom of the first inning yet. If ​you don't know the causes of this stagflation, which include supply side issues which are not going to go away anytime soon (years) and labor problems which government caused, then you need to seek out the truth of what is going on. This is a redux of the late 1970's on steroids.

That said, in no way are price rises at Albertsons Company stores in any way rising more than what is going on at other food retailers. My best deals are still found at Albertsons & Vons which the coupon groups I am in would back up. Learn how to shop & stock up, buy on sale and use your Just (Vons, Albertsons or Pavilions) For U personalized prices. Using digital coupons is even easier today than cutting out coupons. Albertsons & Vons provide some of the best loss leader specials around. More so than Ralphs which use to go toe to toe with them. And definitely more than Stater Bros. which rarely ever has anything on special that beats Ralphs, Albertsons or Vons.

The coupon groups I am in bemoan the prices increases but everyone can learn how to shop more smartly. There's a reason why Wall Street is betting on dollar store growth. And it isn't because people are going to trade up as inflation worsens over the next few years.
I've acknowledged in several postings that significant inflation is unavoidable. But I am singling out Albertsons because they've increased their everyday prices -- as both a percentage and in dollar value -- higher and more aggressively than any other retailer... and they already had the highest prices to begin with. Ralphs has raised many of its prices, and I I generally agree with storewanderer that more hikes will follow, but I doubt it will be on the level that Albertsons is imposing. Ralphs and Albertsons/Vons have been raising prices for the past several years, as the cost of doing business in CA continued to increase (and so has the gap vs. discount grocers). This certainly isn't like NV or FL, where retailers paying $8/hour are now having to pay $15. CA retailers are paying similar wages, but have had the benefit of gradually preparing for such increase over the past few years. And let's be realistic: industry average for product margins are around 50%... in SoCal, that number is much, much higher. The more volume a store sells, the more money it will make (overhead is a killer, which is why most major grocers continue to reduce their store fleet within a geographic area). Retailers in SoCal are still benefiting from higher-than-average sales volumes, as people continue to eat at home vs. dining out in larger quantities than pre-pandemic.

BTW, I will agree that Albertsons/Vons has had some great deals -- loss leaders are a necessity in the business to attract people into the stores; even the high-priced local as well as ethnic grocers have them. But what I will point out is that most of your "deals" are a derivative of exploiting the loopholes in the J4U program -- for starters, you've discussed acquiring multiple freebies via multiple accounts, even though the T&C are explicit that multiple accounts in each household should be linked (so that you would receive only one free offer). You know how to exploit the glitches within the system. You know that loading special coupons intended for other geographic regions, will often carry over to SoCal. And you know that some cashiers will accept paper coupons for items in which you've used an equivalent digital coupon on. Now, I've done many of these things myself, so I'm not criticizing you. But I will point out that Albertsons would argue that most of these activities constitutes coupon fraud -- definitely not deals available to the general public :).
Correcting some of your incorrect assumptions.

Anyone can get any deal I get. There are no secrets just savvy shoppers.

None are coupon fraud. My accounts are all registered at different properties I own. I have multiple households.

I never intentionally use a paper manufacturer coupon on an item with a digital manufacturer coupon. That requires a cashier override and it may knock out the digital coupon if not input manually.

I never use a coupon on an item or size that a coupon of any kind is not intended for. I mostly use digital coupons these days, anyway, there aren't many insert food coupons around.

Most Albertsons Company digital manufacturer coupons and many of its digital store coupons are available across all divisions or many of them (and will even show they are loaded to your account across divisions if you load it from another division. Works the same way with Kroger). Load a Saturday Sampler free item digital store coupon from one division and it is available coast to coast in every division. Each division offers $1 off store digital coupons every week for any produce & any O Organics. And rotating every other week for any yogurt & any bakery then any cereal & any frozen. If they didn't want them to work in other divisions, they'd stop it (and did partially). That has nothing to do with me.

I'll add one in that I haven't previously. If you get a personalized deal in another division, it will work across all divisions. Example. Las Vegas division recently gave me a personalized digital coupon for Large Lucerne Dozen Eggs for $1.17. Unlimited. Worked in SoCal, too. Personalized is the key word.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Bagels wrote: October 4th, 2021, 10:59 pm
CalItalian wrote: October 4th, 2021, 9:58 pm
bryceleinan wrote: October 4th, 2021, 8:11 pm

My mom was commenting at how high meat prices are at Safeway compared to Smith's or other chains in the area... I came out $100 lighter on Saturday though because Safeway had a lot of center aisle stuff (especially water) that other chains in the region are out of stock of. Whoever does the stocking and ordering at Safeway gets automatic kudos.
I have next week's ads. I can go item by item comparison and show Vons & Albertsons are on most times lower priced than Ralphs and Stater Bros.

Let's start. 10/6-10/13

Tri-Tip Roast $3.97 Vons, Albertsons. $4.99 Stater Bros.

Fresh Ground Sirloin $2.97 (80/20) Vons, Albertsons. $3.99 lb. (90/10) Ralphs.

Modelo 12 pack $10.97 Vons, Albertsons. $11.99 (must buy 2) Ralphs. $25.99 24 pack Stater Bros.

Pepsi 12 pack, 12 oz. cans 3/$10.89 Vons, Albertsons. 3/$11.99 Ralphs.

Kellogg's Frosted Flakes $1.69 ea wyb from a group of 3 products Vons, Albertsons. $1.79 Ralphs wyb from a group of 6 or more products.

I two items Ralphs is lower on.
32 oz. Store Brand Cheese. $4.97 Ralphs. $5.99 Vons, Albertsons.

St. Louis Style Pork Spareribs $2.99 Ralphs. $3.77 Vons, Albertsons (same price for Baby Back Ribs there only).

I can post plenty more. In NO WAY is Ralphs overall cheaper on meat or most other items than Vons & Albertsons.

The only two areas that Ralphs has lower prices than Vons & Albertsons is spirits (multi-item purchase specials at Ralphs) and the cleaning aisle (except detergent). Ralphs no longer has the best deals on wine or beer where they use to always be lower than Vons & Albertsons.
All chains in SoCal retort to weekly loss leaders to get people into stores. Albertsons follows the same formula. This week they’re taking a hit on cantaloupe at 69c each, but it’s about the only produce item they beat Ralphs on. Their everyday price is actually higher.
You're going to need to prove that because I find almost every regular produce price at Ralphs is the same or higher than Vons/Albertsons. I'll be happy to go and take pictures to prove it, too.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

CalItalian wrote: October 4th, 2021, 10:29 pm If you think inflation is not political, then you are just lying. Anyone who thinks inflation is peaking now is totally uninformed. TOTALLY uninformed.
This is clearly a RETAIL forum, not a POLITICAL forum. This inflation is about the state of the pandemic economy, not as an opportunity to talk about political stuff. You obviously don't get the damn point I'm making.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

CalItalian wrote: October 4th, 2021, 11:07 pm
CalItalian wrote: October 4th, 2021, 9:48 am Prices are rising, package sizes are shrinking across a broad spectrum of products because of stagflation. To single out Albertsons Companies stores is ridiculous. Even Dollar Tree, the last holdout of true dollar stores, is throwing in the towel because of Bidenflation and activist shareholder demands. Read investor blogs to learn what is going to occur. We knew this months ago and it's not even the bottom of the first inning yet. If ​you don't know the causes of this stagflation, which include supply side issues which are not going to go away anytime soon (years) and labor problems which government caused, then you need to seek out the truth of what is going on. This is a redux of the late 1970's on steroids.

That said, in no way are price rises at Albertsons Company stores in any way rising more than what is going on at other food retailers. My best deals are still found at Albertsons & Vons which the coupon groups I am in would back up. Learn how to shop & stock up, buy on sale and use your Just (Vons, Albertsons or Pavilions) For U personalized prices. Using digital coupons is even easier today than cutting out coupons. Albertsons & Vons provide some of the best loss leader specials around. More so than Ralphs which use to go toe to toe with them. And definitely more than Stater Bros. which rarely ever has anything on special that beats Ralphs, Albertsons or Vons.

The coupon groups I am in bemoan the prices increases but everyone can learn how to shop more smartly. There's a reason why Wall Street is betting on dollar store growth. And it isn't because people are going to trade up as inflation worsens over the next few years.
I've acknowledged in several postings that significant inflation is unavoidable. But I am singling out Albertsons because they've increased their everyday prices -- as both a percentage and in dollar value -- higher and more aggressively than any other retailer... and they already had the highest prices to begin with. Ralphs has raised many of its prices, and I I generally agree with storewanderer that more hikes will follow, but I doubt it will be on the level that Albertsons is imposing. Ralphs and Albertsons/Vons have been raising prices for the past several years, as the cost of doing business in CA continued to increase (and so has the gap vs. discount grocers). This certainly isn't like NV or FL, where retailers paying $8/hour are now having to pay $15. CA retailers are paying similar wages, but have had the benefit of gradually preparing for such increase over the past few years. And let's be realistic: industry average for product margins are around 50%... in SoCal, that number is much, much higher. The more volume a store sells, the more money it will make (overhead is a killer, which is why most major grocers continue to reduce their store fleet within a geographic area). Retailers in SoCal are still benefiting from higher-than-average sales volumes, as people continue to eat at home vs. dining out in larger quantities than pre-pandemic.

BTW, I will agree that Albertsons/Vons has had some great deals -- loss leaders are a necessity in the business to attract people into the stores; even the high-priced local as well as ethnic grocers have them. But what I will point out is that most of your "deals" are a derivative of exploiting the loopholes in the J4U program -- for starters, you've discussed acquiring multiple freebies via multiple accounts, even though the T&C are explicit that multiple accounts in each household should be linked (so that you would receive only one free offer). You know how to exploit the glitches within the system. You know that loading special coupons intended for other geographic regions, will often carry over to SoCal. And you know that some cashiers will accept paper coupons for items in which you've used an equivalent digital coupon on. Now, I've done many of these things myself, so I'm not criticizing you. But I will point out that Albertsons would argue that most of these activities constitutes coupon fraud -- definitely not deals available to the general public :).

None are coupon fraud. My accounts are all registered at different properties I own. I have multiple households.

I never intentionally use a paper manufacturer coupon on an item with a digital manufacturer coupon. That requires a cashier override and it may knock out the digital coupon if not input manually.

I never use a coupon on an item or size that a coupon of any kind is not intended for. I mostly use digital coupons these days, anyway, there aren't many insert food coupons around.

Most Albertsons Company digital manufacturer coupons and many of its digital store coupons are available across all divisions or many of them (and will even show they are loaded to your account across divisions if you load it from another division. Works the same way with Kroger). Load a Saturday Sampler free item digital store coupon from one division and it is available coast to coast in every division. Each division offers $1 off store digital coupons every week for any produce & any O Organics. And rotating every other week for any yogurt & any bakery then any cereal & any frozen. If they didn't want them to work in other divisions, they'd stop it (and did partially). That has nothing to do with me.

I'll add one in that I haven't previously. If you get a personalized deal in another division, it will work across all divisions. Example. Las Vegas division recently gave me a personalized digital coupon for Large Lucerne Dozen Eggs for $1.17. Unlimited. Worked in SoCal, too. Personalized is the key word.
My assumptions are correct. The spirit of my discussion was to point out that, at least in SoCal, Albertsons/Vons has been most agreed In raising its prices, on quantity, percentage and dollar value.

You asserted that Albertsons/Vons has the best deals. Over the last 20 years, I’ve read many of your postings across multiple forums (as you use the same handle). You like to exploit loop holes, and - just as everyone else who does - get cute with your justifications (e.g. that’s not the definition of a household). I’m certainly not criticizing, I’ve done so myself (on a much lower level). I’m merely pointing out that what you’re referring to as deals, Albertsons would consider coupon fraud.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: October 4th, 2021, 8:11 pm My mom was commenting at how high meat prices are at Safeway compared to Smith's or other chains in the area... I came out $100 lighter on Saturday though because Safeway had a lot of center aisle stuff (especially water) that other chains in the region are out of stock of. Whoever does the stocking and ordering at Safeway gets automatic kudos.
They are working very, very hard to keep that store stocked well. There is an active night crew working very diligently and dealing with short staffing like everything else is but still making that store be fully stocked. It is an impressive achievement. Every time I go in, I walk out with what I go in for from those center aisles (can't say the same for the produce or bakery). Usually this is sale items too. If I were to go to a different Safeway I would encounter at least an out of stock or two.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

reymann wrote: October 4th, 2021, 10:39 am i haven't seen the same types of price increases at save mart or smart & final. safeway may find themselves having to retreat on this after the holidays.
I walked a Smart & Final last week and also did not notice much in the way of price increases. I noticed a few sloppy ones like 3 different prices for different SKUs of Friskies Cat Food. Their pricing looked 5-10% more favorable than before due to this.

I also have been in Save Mart a lot more lately and have not been noticing the large increases there I am noticing at various other larger chains. Some small increases. Still find Kroger to be the one who has done the least increasing.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

CalItalian wrote: October 4th, 2021, 11:10 pm
CalItalian wrote: October 4th, 2021, 9:58 pm I have next week's ads. I can go item by item comparison and show Vons & Albertsons are on most times lower priced than Ralphs and Stater Bros.

Let's start. 10/6-10/13

Tri-Tip Roast $3.97 Vons, Albertsons. $4.99 Stater Bros.

Fresh Ground Sirloin $2.97 (80/20) Vons, Albertsons. $3.99 lb. (90/10) Ralphs.

Modelo 12 pack $10.97 Vons, Albertsons. $11.99 (must buy 2) Ralphs. $25.99 24 pack Stater Bros.

Pepsi 12 pack, 12 oz. cans 3/$10.89 Vons, Albertsons. 3/$11.99 Ralphs.

Kellogg's Frosted Flakes $1.69 ea wyb from a group of 3 products Vons, Albertsons. $1.79 Ralphs wyb from a group of 6 or more products.

I two items Ralphs is lower on.
32 oz. Store Brand Cheese. $4.97 Ralphs. $5.99 Vons, Albertsons.

St. Louis Style Pork Spareribs $2.99 Ralphs. $3.77 Vons, Albertsons (same price for Baby Back Ribs there only).

I can post plenty more. In NO WAY is Ralphs overall cheaper on meat or most other items than Vons & Albertsons.

The only two areas that Ralphs has lower prices than Vons & Albertsons is spirits (multi-item purchase specials at Ralphs) and the cleaning aisle (except detergent). Ralphs no longer has the best deals on wine or beer where they use to always be lower than Vons & Albertsons.
All chains in SoCal retort to weekly loss leaders to get people into stores. Albertsons follows the same formula. This week they’re taking a hit on cantaloupe at 69c each, but it’s about the only produce item they beat Ralphs on. Their everyday price is actually higher.
You're going to need to prove that because I find almost every regular produce price at Ralphs is the same or higher than Vons/Albertsons. I'll be happy to go and take pictures to prove it, too.
Sure, let’s look at the app right now. Comparing prices using Irvine Ralphs and Albertsons.

Red delicious apples, per lb. Ralphs- 1.29, Albertsons- 1.69.

Bananas - R-65c. A-69c

navel Orange- R-1.49. A-1.99

3pk romaine hearts - R- 3.99 (22oz). A- 3.49 (18oz)

8 oz mushroom - R- 2.19. a-2.49

Baby carrots, 1lb - R-1.49, A-1.49

Yellow onion - both 99c

5 lb potatoe - R- 2.50. A-2.99

Strawberries. R-2.99. A-3.99

On the vine tomatoes - R, 1.99. A-2.99

Green beans - both 1.99

——-
Albertsons did not beat Ralphs on a single items. The 3pk Romaine Hearts came close, but Ralphs is 22+ oz., meaning it edges out Albertsons (18 oz).
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

None of your assumptions were correct.

There are no loop holes. Loop holes assume you are doing something that is difficult to find and can't be done by others. Anyone can do them and Albertsons Companies allows it. Please show me where Albertsons Companies says you can not load coupons from other divisions. Just to the contrary, they list their divisions when you travel to other areas. They even allow you to switch within the website to other divisions. Customer Service even made the point to tell me to change my store location to whichever store I am in - even outside the area (specifically told me that while on the phone with an assistant manager).

Nice try but you are not correct.
Bagels wrote: October 4th, 2021, 11:39 pm
CalItalian wrote: October 4th, 2021, 11:07 pm

My assumptions are correct. The spirit of my discussion was to point out that, at least in SoCal, Albertsons/Vons has been most agreed In raising its prices, on quantity, percentage and dollar value.

You asserted that Albertsons/Vons has the best deals. Over the last 20 years, I’ve read many of your postings across multiple forums (as you use the same handle). You like to exploit loop holes, and - just as everyone else who does - get cute with your justifications (e.g. that’s not the definition of a household). I’m certainly not criticizing, I’ve done so myself (on a much lower level). I’m merely pointing out that what you’re referring to as deals, Albertsons would consider coupon fraud.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Bagels wrote: October 4th, 2021, 11:53 pm
CalItalian wrote: October 4th, 2021, 11:10 pm

Sure, let’s look at the app right now. Comparing prices using Irvine Ralphs and Albertsons.

Red delicious apples, per lb. Ralphs- 1.29, Albertsons- 1.69.

Bananas - R-65c. A-69c

navel Orange- R-1.49. A-1.99

3pk romaine hearts - R- 3.99 (22oz). A- 3.49 (18oz)

8 oz mushroom - R- 2.19. a-2.49

Baby carrots, 1lb - R-1.49, A-1.49

Yellow onion - both 99c

5 lb potatoe - R- 2.50. A-2.99

Strawberries. R-2.99. A-3.99

On the vine tomatoes - R, 1.99. A-2.99

Green beans - both 1.99

——-
Albertsons did not beat Ralphs on a single items. The 3pk Romaine Hearts came close, but Ralphs is 22+ oz., meaning it edges out Albertsons (18 oz).
Online prices are not reflective of all in-store prices and you should know that.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

CalItalian wrote: October 4th, 2021, 11:53 pm None of your assumptions were correct.

There are no loop holes. Loop holes assume you are doing something that is difficult to find and can't be done by others. Anyone can do them and Albertsons Companies allows it. Please show me where Albertsons Companies says you can not load coupons from other divisions. Just to the contrary, they list their divisions when you travel to other areas. They even allow you to switch within the website to other divisions. Customer Service even made the point to tell me to change my store location to whichever store I am in - even outside the area (specifically told me that while on the phone with an assistant manager).

Nice try but you are not correct.
Bagels wrote: October 4th, 2021, 11:39 pm
CalItalian wrote: October 4th, 2021, 11:07 pm Correcting some of your incorrect assumptions.

The app is very clear that the displayed coupons are applicable only at the store you selected. You’ve discovered that once you load these coupons, they can be used at other stores and divisions, even when the coupon no longer displays on the app. That’s a textbook example of a loophole. Please, let’s stop being cute.

Kroger’s apps did the exact same thing until they closed loophole, although you can sometimes load high value coupons from a Ralphs and redeem them at F4L.
Last edited by Bagels on October 5th, 2021, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.