Albertsons’ Soaring Prices

California. No non-grocery posts.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Albertsons’ Soaring Prices

Post by Bagels »

It looks like Albertsons is using inflation as an excuse to raise prices on pretty much everything. Ralphs, Walmart and Target have been strategically raising prices, but at Albertsons, it’s noticeable on everything. For example, canned vegetables are now 99c (vs 85c at Ralph’s and 50c at Walmart). Canned fruit cocktail went from $1.19 to $1.39 (Ralphs raised it to a much more modest $1.29). A single roll of Value Corner Paper Towel is now $1.29, up from 89c. Walmart remains at 50c, Target 69c (and VC is of really poor quality). A four pack of Value Corner toilet paper jumped to $1.99, up from 99c. Walmart and Target are still below that price, Ralphs seems to have discontinued its four pack (and single roll paper towel).

I haven’t gotten any “personalized” or dollars off J4U coupons in awhile, so I’m thinking it’s time to take my business elsewhere.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Albertsons’ Soaring Prices

Post by veteran+ »

Bagels wrote: October 2nd, 2021, 11:55 pm It looks like Albertsons is using inflation as an excuse to raise prices on pretty much everything. Ralphs, Walmart and Target have been strategically raising prices, but at Albertsons, it’s noticeable on everything. For example, canned vegetables are now 99c (vs 85c at Ralph’s and 50c at Walmart). Canned fruit cocktail went from $1.19 to $1.39 (Ralphs raised it to a much more modest $1.29). A single roll of Value Corner Paper Towel is now $1.29, up from 89c. Walmart remains at 50c, Target 69c (and VC is of really poor quality). A four pack of Value Corner toilet paper jumped to $1.99, up from 99c. Walmart and Target are still below that price, Ralphs seems to have discontinued its four pack (and single roll paper towel).

I haven’t gotten any “personalized” or dollars off J4U coupons in awhile, so I’m thinking it’s time to take my business elsewhere.
Yup...........................same here.

I don't shop at Pavilions any longer except for their pharmacy.

I go to Trader Joes, Sprouts, Whole Foods (with Amazon Prime) and Target for non foods.

And I really dislike having to go to so many stores. ANNOYING!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I am seeing this at various other stores as well. Large chains, small chains, it doesn't matter. Kroger seems to be one not doing much on price increases at this time. Yes they are increasing a few prices but it seems to be item-specific vs. category or brand specific. This is pretty consistent with how Kroger has done things when prices go up they are often the last to increase.

For example at Wal Mart, a handfull of random center store items I was looking at about three weeks ago, had gone up approximately 10% from the previous week. Bagged store brand lettuce from 1.92 to 2.12, Oroweat Muffins from 1.98 to 2.18, various canned goods saw similar increases.

Another example at Target they have been increasing prices on groceries substantially as well. Recently the Friskies Cat Food went from .55 to .69 in one single increase. Observed some similar large increases in the coffee/tea category there. Wal Mart price increased its Friskies too- but from .54 to .58.

But the increases over at Safeway seem to be... a higher percentage. And they seem to be all over the store. I am seeing 25% everyday price increases in a single swoop on multiple items throughout multiple departments. The worst is Safeway's meat pricing. 9.99/lb for a cubed steak, 24.99 for a Ribeye steak... amazing to me they are selling ANY meat at their prices.

Bottom line is prices are going UP.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I have seen a few price fluctuations at WinCo lately, but they are minimal and not as widespread throughout the store. For a while Fred Meyer was actually cheaper for milk though, until WinCo's price came back down.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 12:03 pm I am seeing this at various other stores as well. Large chains, small chains, it doesn't matter. Kroger seems to be one not doing much on price increases at this time. Yes they are increasing a few prices but it seems to be item-specific vs. category or brand specific. This is pretty consistent with how Kroger has done things when prices go up they are often the last to increase.

For example at Wal Mart, a handfull of random center store items I was looking at about three weeks ago, had gone up approximately 10% from the previous week. Bagged store brand lettuce from 1.92 to 2.12, Oroweat Muffins from 1.98 to 2.18, various canned goods saw similar increases.

Another example at Target they have been increasing prices on groceries substantially as well. Recently the Friskies Cat Food went from .55 to .69 in one single increase. Observed some similar large increases in the coffee/tea category there. Wal Mart price increased its Friskies too- but from .54 to .58.

But the increases over at Safeway seem to be... a higher percentage. And they seem to be all over the store. I am seeing 25% everyday price increases in a single swoop on multiple items throughout multiple departments. The worst is Safeway's meat pricing. 9.99/lb for a cubed steak, 24.99 for a Ribeye steak... amazing to me they are selling ANY meat at their prices.

Bottom line is prices are going UP.
No doubt that strong inflation will be noticeable, but Albertsons seems to be taking advantage. Walmart, Ralphs and Albertsons each charged $1.79 for a four count private label apple sauce. Walmart went to $1.84, Albertsons to $2.09. A 24ct bulk package from from $8.49 to $8.99 at Walmart, and from $11.99 to $13.99 at Albertsons (Ralphs remains $9.99).

A generic loaf of Value Corner bread climbed dr 88c to $1.39. The Signature Select (SS) branding likely the same bread) went from $1.39 to $1.99. A Great Value (GV) loaf went from 88c to 94c. SS pasta sauce went from $1.99 to $2.49 (and shrunk a couple ounces). GV remains 88c (and higher once’s). Lucerne Yogurt cups went from 50c to 60c, GV from 28c to 32c. Lucerne Shredded Cheese remains at $3.99 (usually goes on sale for 1.99), but lost two ounces. GV went from 1.99 to 2.22. SS peanut butter is now 60 cents higher, while GV rose only 5 cents, making SS 1.25 more.

Ultimately, unless people are idiots, I ponder how Albertsons expects to stay in business.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 12:28 pm
No doubt that strong inflation will be noticeable, but Albertsons seems to be taking advantage. Walmart, Ralphs and Albertsons each charged $1.79 for a four count private label apple sauce. Walmart went to $1.84, Albertsons to $2.09. A 24ct bulk package from from $8.49 to $8.99 at Walmart, and from $11.99 to $13.99 at Albertsons (Ralphs remains $9.99).

A generic loaf of Value Corner bread climbed dr 88c to $1.39. The Signature Select (SS) branding likely the same bread) went from $1.39 to $1.99. A Great Value (GV) loaf went from 88c to 94c. SS pasta sauce went from $1.99 to $2.49 (and shrunk a couple ounces). GV remains 88c (and higher once’s). Lucerne Yogurt cups went from 50c to 60c, GV from 28c to 32c. Lucerne Shredded Cheese remains at $3.99 (usually goes on sale for 1.99), but lost two ounces. GV went from 1.99 to 2.22. SS peanut butter is now 60 cents higher, while GV rose only 5 cents, making SS 1.25 more.

Ultimately, unless people are idiots, I ponder how Albertsons expects to stay in business.
I was shopping a lot at Safeway the past five months. A big part of this was due to Raleys ONE fiasco but also with the new store and some strong ads I had been pretty happy. The past few weeks, I am buying less and less. And I seem to be buying more at Smiths (if I can get things in stock... I can tolerate the dirty store and poor service there for pre-packaged items). The dirty atmosphere and service attitude at Smiths reminds me of a below average Wal Mart. Back to Safeway, the weekly ad has only been 4 pages lately and not very good. Every time I go into the store, I encounter more products with price increases, big price increases that I am simply unwilling to pay.

We do still have a quasi-EDLP program at Safeway in Nevada but it seems to be losing items. Have watched various produce items, deli hot food, store brand soda move off the program in recent weeks. I guess when the NorCal price feed pushes a price increase, the Nevada stores get that price increase too, then on the EDLP items they are supposed to reverse the price change but it isn't always happening and causes even more increases. For instance deli chicken strips now 9.99/lb (was 7.99/lb), deli wings now 10.99/lb (was 8.99/lb). They have managed to hold some good everyday retails- the gallon milk is 2.79, dozen eggs is 1.27, 4lb C&H Sugar is 2.29, bananas .55/lb.

It is like whatever awful computer system made up Safeway's pricing back around 2005-2009 and whatever awful computer system was doing the pricing for Albertsons under Supervalu has been re-ignited and it is running at full speed. They need to ditch all those systems and go to whatever pricing system the old Albertsons LLC was using when it had under 200 stores- that was when they finally got the pricing straightened out.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I wonder if this had anything to do with the centralized buying they went back to under Sankaran, which has proven to go poorly for the chain(s).
surfingdude
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by surfingdude »

Until recently, I clicked/purchased 15-20 Just 4 You offers weekly. Over the course of the past month, it has dropped to about 5 per week, half of which are ad/electronic coupon items. The personalized J4U offers are ridiculous - Kraft 16 oz. salad dressings at $4.26. Yet they will have the same item on ad once a month or so for $1.99-$2.49. Used to be advertised frequently at $0.99. I'll go to Walmart and pay $2.27. A quart of Lucerne half & half is $3.99, yet $1.85 at Aldi and $1.89 at Walmart. A dozen large Lucerne eggs $3.99, $1.39 at Aldi, $1.49 at Walmart.
I understand beef prices are up, but I have paid $6.99/lb. for Flanken Style Chuck Ribs for several years. About a month ago, they went to $9.99, then $11.49. Friday, I noticed they were $13.99/lb. They will sit and end up being marked down, guaranteed. A local independent is still $8.99. Chuck is a relatively inexpensive cut.
Vons has also gone to a 2 page print ad, down from the previous 4 page.
My weekly spend at Vons has gone from $100-$125 to $25-35 over the course of the past month.
For a future discussion, it generally takes between 10-25 minutes to get thru the front end as they never schedule enough checkers, and/or the checkers are oblivious to the six to ten customers waiting in their line. I am voting with my feet.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Bagels wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 12:28 pm Ultimately, unless people are idiots, I ponder how Albertsons expects to stay in business.
Reading these posts, I fear they could start to collapse to death like Kmart... I fear we could have a breakup like the old ABS...
That, or maybe Publix should buy their Texas and Mid-Atlantic stores.

If only Loblaws could buy Albertsons for a good price.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 12:47 pm Back to Safeway, the weekly ad has only been 4 pages lately and not very good. Every time I go into the store, I encounter more products with price increases, big price increases that I am simply unwilling to pay.
surfingdude wrote: October 3rd, 2021, 2:07 pm Vons has also gone to a 2 page print ad, down from the previous 4 page.
Question - are they actually only having the ad items as sales, or do you see other things marked on sale in the stores?

Seemed a few places cut back on the size of ads last year when this first started due to not always knowing what would be available, but then often advertised other items in the store. It made sense to some degree, since it's easy enough not to put up a tag on the shelf if an item is out of stock and that way no one knows what they are missing, but if it's in the flier everyone will complain if you don't have it (even if, like today, it was one shape of pasta out of the 15-20 that were part of the sale).