Safeway San Francisco 2020 Market St closing at 9 PM

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Safeway San Francisco 2020 Market St closing at 9 PM

Post by storewanderer »

Safeway in San Francisco at 2020 Market Street now closes at 9 PM.

This store has also engaged various additional things including:
poles on shopping carts- can no longer take carts outside
multiple aisles in store are locked- cannot go down those aisles without using call box for employee

This is a big, very high traffic and high volume store.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/art ... 577967.php

Article blames shoplifting for the 9 PM closing time.
Alpha8472

Re: Safeway San Francisco 2020 Market St closing at 9 PM

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have seen some Safeway stores in nearby cities with armed security guards in body armor. The San Leandro downtown Safeway has a liquor store inside of the store with unclimable walls and a separate cash register. Apparently, liquor is stolen so much that you have to pay for it in the liquor store. I believe that the other expensive items are also in that liquor store. That store also stores the shopping carts inside at night.

You have not heard of the Safeway in Concord, California that was overrun by homeless people taking the subway from San Francisco just to rob the store. It was like a homeless encampment in front of the store, and this was a suburb 40 minutes away from San Francisco. They even found a dead body after a homeless person murdered someone by the dumpster near the store.

I saw call boxes for locked up cabinets at the Safeway Flagship store in Dublin, California. That is an affluent suburb. However, it is very close to a Subway station where homeless people ride in for free from San Francisco.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

Last time I was in the South Shore Center Safeway in Alameda (pre-COVID), I noticed AA batteries and Eed Bull were locked up in coolers. I’ve been told it’s gotten worse, so much so, that it’s best to avoid that plaza.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: November 1st, 2021, 9:53 pm Last time I was in the South Shore Center Safeway in Alameda (pre-COVID), I noticed AA batteries and Eed Bull were locked up in coolers. I’ve been told it’s gotten worse, so much so, that it’s best to avoid that plaza.
Quite a few NorCal Safeways have a locking endcap case for batteries. Even some as far out as Rocklin. Different world from the rural stores.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

More on this store:

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/ ... 663711.php

Will be interesting to see what happens. This is a nice, big, very high volume store.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

People like to criticize the store for locking things up and closing early, but does anyone offer any solutions?

How should these problems be solved? What should be done? Is the city at fault? Is it the state?
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Well, that's the society we live in. Apparently, requiring consumers at high-theft stores to store backpacks/etc., locking-up high theft items and adding keypads to bathrooms is racist and discriminatory. It's why we can't have nice things. Soon, many of these stores will shutter, rather than take the losses... definitely not limited to San Francisco.

Detroit has long struggled to maintain chain grocery stores. Kroger's attempt in the early 2000s lasted literally months before the closed the location. Meijer recently built several supercenters, but they were designed for a high-theft environment and include a single entrance (vs. two to four at other locations), no self check-outs, limited hours, electronics has a narrow entrance that's locked when it's not staffed, etc. Of course, multiple organizations called for boycotts on the store due to its racist policies! Not that long ago, Meijer reduced the shelf space for Tide and increased it for Xtra and Sun, in recognition of consumer shopping habits but again, racist!
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by kr.abs.swy »

Some of the quotes in that article are highly disingenuous. A large store on a large lot in urban San Francisco is expensive real estate. Simply from the perspective of earning a return on that asset, Safeway would want to be open whenever there is enough demand. There's no way that they want to have to close this store anytime before midnight. I was in that store earlier this year. It's on a busy street in a busy neighborhood located near plenty of expensive urban houses. In a normal environment, there is no way that store would close at 9 p.m. It's not helpful for people to be questioning whether theft is a problem or questioning Safeway's motives. They need to be careful not to make this too much of a headache for Safeway. As we all know, there's plenty of precedent for retailers simply closing down problem locations in SF.
Bagels wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 1:35 pm Well, that's the society we live in. Apparently, requiring consumers at high-theft stores to store backpacks/etc., locking-up high theft items and adding keypads to bathrooms is racist and discriminatory. It's why we can't have nice things. Soon, many of these stores will shutter, rather than take the losses... definitely not limited to San Francisco.

Detroit has long struggled to maintain chain grocery stores. Kroger's attempt in the early 2000s lasted literally months before the closed the location. Meijer recently built several supercenters, but they were designed for a high-theft environment and include a single entrance (vs. two to four at other locations), no self check-outs, limited hours, electronics has a narrow entrance that's locked when it's not staffed, etc. Of course, multiple organizations called for boycotts on the store due to its racist policies! Not that long ago, Meijer reduced the shelf space for Tide and increased it for Xtra and Sun, in recognition of consumer shopping habits but again, racist!
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Bagels wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 1:35 pm

Um--there about 25 small-order self checkouts and 6 any-size-order self checkouts at the 8/Woodward Meijer. Store is really a pleasant environment--electronics is reduced, but doesn't seem deficient and is in keeping with the size of the store. Produce is excellent, they have service meat/fish/deli/bakery which seems liberally staffed...HaBA isn't unduly locked-down, liquor is freely shoppable...though they often have a DPD officer at the front they're not checking receipts or anything. I prefer this store to the Southfield store on Telegraph, and am neutral between it and Madison Heights or Royal Oak. The only limitation that is irritating is their dairy/nondairy milk assortment doesn't match my preferences.

They have also opened Riverfront Market on Jefferson just east of 375 which likely (I've not visited) is predominantly SCO, if the prototype at 13/Woodward is any indication.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Romr123 wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 5:05 pm
Bagels wrote: December 2nd, 2021, 1:35 pm

Um--there about 25 small-order self checkouts and 6 any-size-order self checkouts at the 8/Woodward Meijer. Store is really a pleasant environment--electronics is reduced, but doesn't seem deficient and is in keeping with the size of the store. Produce is excellent, they have service meat/fish/deli/bakery which seems liberally staffed...HaBA isn't unduly locked-down, liquor is freely shoppable...though they often have a DPD officer at the front they're not checking receipts or anything. I prefer this store to the Southfield store on Telegraph, and am neutral between it and Madison Heights or Royal Oak. The only limitation that is irritating is their dairy/nondairy milk assortment doesn't match my preferences.

They have also opened Riverfront Market on Jefferson just east of 375 which likely (I've not visited) is predominantly SCO, if the prototype at 13/Woodward is any indication.
There's no "um" about it -- the store lacked self-checkouts when it first opened, but they were later added after local media criticized many of the stores policies. I've only been to the 8/Woodward store once, shortly after it initially opened, and was shocked at how much theft determinant was built into it (if you haven't noticed, scrutinize it on your next visit), given that the majority of shoppers were expected to come from Ferndale, Royal Oak, etc. FYI: Crain's quoted sources not long ago who claimed it was unlikely either store would ever turn a profit, so they probably exist for political points.

But it's a shame when Safeway, Walgreens, etc. can't implement procedures that protect its business and enable it to serve its consumers. With the way opinions are, I fully expect we'll see plenty of inner-city retail stores to close their doors. Heck, even the Ralphs and Albertsons near me now lock up many detergent, razor, etc. products -- and I'm in Irvine, where the population is pretty much all-white/Asian.