Ralphs Discontinuing Double Coupons, Changes Rewards Program

California. No non-grocery posts.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Ralphs Discontinuing Double Coupons, Changes Rewards Program

Post by CalItalian »

http://supermarketnews.com/retail-amp-f ... ty-program Ralphs has actually doubled coupons since the 1960's. I know this since that is when my mom started taking me shopping there and later taught me how to coupon. During the meat cutters strike in late 1985, they reacted to Vons new unlimited double coupon policy to bring in customers during the strike and started to automatically double unlimited coupons like Vons (you needed a newspaper "double coupon" prior to that for each coupon). Then a couple years later, started the limits to 3 like doubles (for over 15 years), then 2 like doubles, then 1 like coupon double. Ralphs use to double all face value coupons (up to $1 more...a $2 coupon, for example, would double $1 more to $3) but they changed that a few years ago after Vons chopped the maximum of any coupon doubling to a maximum savings of $1 (a .75 cent coupon will only double .25 more today to a maximum of $1. Any coupon $1 or higher is at face value only). Even though the current posted policy states 1 like coupon double, all coupons automatically double to their current rules, regardless of how many like coupons you have...at least until April 1, that is.

Vons and sister chain Pavilions will be the only chain left to double coupons in Southern California after Ralphs discontinues double coupons (Albertsons occasionally sends out 3 paper double coupons in the snail mail...they should go after Ralphs coupon customers...).

I'm also surprised that they are changing their popular Ralphs Rewards program. Even if you have a U.S. Bank issued Ralphs Rewards Card, it's going to take twice as long to get your minimum $5 reward. It is 500 points now but will be 1000 points starting on 4/1. Those of us who don't have that Visa or the pre-paid Visa can now only redeem for gas rewards (no more cash back Reward coupons) at Ralphs fuel centers (like I've ever seen one) or Shell gas (which is normally 10 cents a gallon or more higher than the lowest gas prices in Southern California).

Ralphs has already started to post their new low price shelf tags in store (they are red rather than black lettering on a yellow background...harder to read in my view). From what I have seen, they are STILL overpriced in comparison to non-union chains in the Los Angeles area. I predict their market share will continue to slide. Too much competition in the Southern California market and they will now be distinguising themselves even less from the pack. I've become more of a fan of Vons/Pavilions, their recently introduced to Southern California Just4U program, ability to load weekly ad coupons to your VonsClub card and double coupon policy...I also have "discovered" Target grocery shopping and Fresh & Eash (like the points and $ off coupons) plus I do more shopping at the 3 drug store chains. So, although I will miss double coupons at Ralphs, I have plenty of alternatives.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Ralphs Discontinuing Double Coupons, Changes Rewards Pro

Post by CalItalian »

klkla

Post by klkla »

I didn't know people still used coupoons. I haven't seen anyone in front of me in line use them in years. Few people take newpaper delivery anymore so I would assume Ralphs' decision is probably based on this.

I regulularly shop at a Ralphs that is across the street from a Vons. Both stores have been recently remodeled and the Ralphs does much more business than the Vons. They have recently installed a software program that accurately predicts the number of cashiers needed at any given time and I never have to wait in line for more than 30 seconds. In addition they have self-checkout which helps with traffic flow, as well. Every time I go to Vons something happens that holds up the line (usually a pricing disrepancy) and they're always hitting you up for charitable donations which is starting to get on my nerves.

From what I can tell pricing is pretty similar but the Ralphs is a much better run store, and has a better merchandise selection. For a lot of people like myself this is more important than double coupons.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

I suggest you view the many comments on Ralphs Facebook account http://www.facebook.com/ralphs. Coupon usage is up considerably since the downturn in the economy. You're obviously out of the retail promotion loop if you don't understand how large the coupon business is. Coupons do not come just from the Sunday newspaper anymore, as the largest growth in coupons is through print-at-home and electronic coupons. I ALWAYS see people who use coupons. Ralphs has courted couponers more than any other Southern California supermarket chain for decades so they do stand to lose a considerable amount of customers. Double that with the changes in their Rewards program which has also been very popular and you'll get comments posted like what is on Ralphs Facebook page which mirror my comments.

The Pavilions that I shop at in is one of the best run supermarkets I've ever been in. The staff is ready to help throughout the store - I rarely see this at Ralphs - and cashiers are just great. Vons/Pavilions in the past has been accused of being coupon unfriendly but lately they've turned into being the most coupon friendly. Ralphs does not allow you to scan your own coupons at self-checkout but Vons (and Albertsons and CVS) does.

Kroger has generally ruined Ralphs. Ralphs was a great store that met local customer needs but now is just another corporate grocery store that is run thousands of miles away from their customers. Touting their Ralphs Fuel Centers - of which I know of none anywhere in Los Angeles, for example - in their Rewards changes just proves that.
klkla wrote:I didn't know people still used coupoons. I haven't seen anyone in front of me in line use them in years. Few people take newpaper delivery anymore so I would assume Ralphs' decision is probably based on this.

I regulularly shop at a Ralphs that is across the street from a Vons. Both stores have been recently remodeled and the Ralphs does much more business than the Vons. They have recently installed a software program that accurately predicts the number of cashiers needed at any given time and I never have to wait in line for more than 30 seconds. In addition they have self-checkout which helps with traffic flow, as well. Every time I go to Vons something happens that holds up the line (usually a pricing disrepancy) and they're always hitting you up for charitable donations which is starting to get on my nerves.

From what I can tell pricing is pretty similar but the Ralphs is a much better run store, and has a better merchandise selection. For a lot of people like myself this is more important than double coupons.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

I like Safeway/Vons' approach with the e-coupons. It is so much easer to make a few clicks on a website and the coupons are linked to my Safeway Club card. It doesn't get easier than that!
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Here's the story from ABC 7 in Los Angeles (video) http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?secti ... id=8592006 and NBC 4 in Los Angeles (printed story) http://www.nbclosangeles.com/the-scene/ ... 05066.html (they also have a lot of comments on the NBC Los Angeles Facebook page...story was posted on 3/22/2012 on their Facebook Timeline).
klkla

Post by klkla »

CalItalian wrote:Kroger has generally ruined Ralphs. Ralphs was a great store that met local customer needs but now is just another corporate grocery store that is run thousands of miles away from their customers.
We all have different opinions, that's what makes life interesting. I remember pre-Kroger Ralphs stores as having the poorest customer service I've ever seen in a supermarket. In particular I often found long lines and rude employees. Not just once but on many occasions. It was so bad that I wouldn't step foot in a Ralphs store for over five years and was pleasantly surprised to see that service has improved significantly since Kroger took over. For me personally, and the vast majority of consumers that never use coupons, this move will make no difference and will probably improve the shopping experience by reducing coupon-related delays at check out.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

On its face, it appears to be a bad move to make all of these changes at once. I support the discontinuing of double coupons; there is too much abuse and too small of a percentage of customers actually use coupons. Too many fake coupons or duplicate coupons are floating and they already lose money accepting these; doubling them doubles their losses on that.

But discontinuing Rewards, I do not agree with so much. I understand possibly reworking the Rewards program to either be fuel discount OR a Rewards coupon (not both; they did this at Smiths over a year ago without a hitch), but forcing redemption for fuel limits too many customers and makes the program lose relevancy.

But I also believe the Ralphs division is very troubled. The store base is pretty uneven; a few are great operations, some are so so, and some need to be closed. It is not clear who exactly the Ralphs customer is. The product mix in a lot of the stores looks anemic but the Fresh Fares and some of the nicer main name Ralphs have a wonderful mix with a wonderful perimeter. I find the Ralphs pricing to be competitive for the market, on perimeter and on private label center store. It seems high on national brand center store. It is much, much higher than other Kroger divisions for like items.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

klkla wrote:
CalItalian wrote:Kroger has generally ruined Ralphs. Ralphs was a great store that met local customer needs but now is just another corporate grocery store that is run thousands of miles away from their customers.
We all have different opinions, that's what makes life interesting. I remember pre-Kroger Ralphs stores as having the poorest customer service I've ever seen in a supermarket. In particular I often found long lines and rude employees. Not just once but on many occasions. It was so bad that I wouldn't step foot in a Ralphs store for over five years and was pleasantly surprised to see that service has improved significantly since Kroger took over. For me personally, and the vast majority of consumers that never use coupons, this move will make no difference and will probably improve the shopping experience by reducing coupon-related delays at check out.
I beg to differ. I've been shopping at Ralphs for over 35 years. Customer service has NEVER been worse than it is under Kroger. In fact, there is no "customer service" at Ralphs. I have shopped many Ralphs locations, including Fresh Fare locations, and there are no employees that go out of their way to help you or even ask if you need help.

Now, the store that has improved the most is Vons and Pavilions. If all stores could train their employees as they do at, for example, the Pavilions in West Hollywood. They will look you in the eye and ask YOU if you need help. They will also lead you to whatever product you are looking for (and help find stock if none is on the shelf). They are friendly and courteous, unlike Ralphs where it feels like they are just going through the motions until they can clock out.

Albertsons has been courting disgruntled Ralphs shoppers by offering Double Coupons (doubling coupons up to $2) with double coupons in their ads the last couple of weeks. So, it appears that coupons do matter (and so do stealing Ralphs customers...and FYI, the coupon business has been on a big upswing over the last few years...)
klkla

Post by klkla »

I guess double coupons really are dead (at least in SoCal):

http://supermarketnews.com/retail-amp-f ... ng-coupons

Vons is following Ralphs lead in discontinuing double coupons. Some had speculated Ralphs would lose market share when they discontinued double coupons but obviously this is not the case and Vons has decided to follow the same path.