Fred Meyer "Spokane Test" - eliminate dedicated electronics, reduce GM, expand liquor/food, require card for sale prices

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Super S
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Fred Meyer "Spokane Test" - eliminate dedicated electronics, reduce GM, expand liquor/food, require card for sale pr

Post by Super S » July 31st, 2020, 5:46 pm

babs wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 10:28 pm

Well the reality at Fred Meyer is that many of the sale items require you to add the digital coupon to your account to get the sale price. So in essence, they have been requiring a card/phone app for some time to get many of the sale prices.
They have required the app for digital coupons, but nothing was required for sale prices. The requirement to have a card for sale prices is new.

I shouldn't have to jump through all of the hoops to get sale prices. They might as well just rename the store Safeway at this point.

babs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Fred Meyer "Spokane Test" - eliminate dedicated electronics, reduce GM, expand liquor/food, require card for sale pr

Post by babs » July 31st, 2020, 11:06 pm

Super S wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 5:46 pm
babs wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 10:28 pm

Well the reality at Fred Meyer is that many of the sale items require you to add the digital coupon to your account to get the sale price. So in essence, they have been requiring a card/phone app for some time to get many of the sale prices.
They have required the app for digital coupons, but nothing was required for sale prices. The requirement to have a card for sale prices is new.

I shouldn't have to jump through all of the hoops to get sale prices. They might as well just rename the store Safeway at this point.
Looking at the Fred Meyer ad right now. About half the items in the ad require a digital coupon to get the sale price. Call it what you want but without a card, you will pay more. These aren't just recycled manufacturer's coupons, it also includes Kroger branded items.

storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by storewanderer » July 31st, 2020, 11:27 pm

babs wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 11:06 pm

Looking at the Fred Meyer ad right now. About half the items in the ad require a digital coupon to get the sale price. Call it what you want but without a card, you will pay more. These aren't just recycled manufacturer's coupons, it also includes Kroger branded items.
I have noticed more and more of this. It used to be the digital coupons provided extra savings on top of the already low sale prices. Now what they do and have been doing for the past few years is the "digital coupon price" is like the old low sale price and then the new "sale price" is somewhere in the middle.

Also recall as recently as about 6-8 years ago Fred Meyer still did a lot of store coupons on groceries in their ad, in a savings book, etc. Those all went away as the digital coupon offering has hit hard and heavy.

The whole thing is very Safeway like. Complicated and clunky. My Smiths app right now has 750+ digital offers. You can only add up to a maximum of 150 offers at a time. These offers are a hassle as they are "one time use" but "use on up to 5 items in a single transaction." I've been trying to get various types of Kroger Preserves (Cherry, Peach, Strawberry) which are 1.79 with a digital coupon last week/this week. Every time I go in, and I've been to 3 different Smiths on different days, the Cherry and Strawberry are out of stock. I kept waiting to purchase since I need to buy them all at the same time to use the digital coupon. Finally today I am tired of screwing around with this and no clue when they will get this stuff back in stock. I purchased the preserves, all 3 of them, elsewhere at a price of 2.49 each.