Acquisition and Integration of Haggen into Albertsons

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Acquisition and Integration of Haggen into Albertsons

Post by rwsandiego »

marshd1000 wrote:I am thinking that the sale has not closed yet. I suspect that Albertsons is waiting until the properties with the closed stores have been sold. Perhaps Albertsons wants nothing to do with shedding those properties?

Speaking of Haggen, I heard the first Haggen radio that I've heard in years! I was listening to KWPZ (Praise 106.5). They were advertising the sustainability of their seafood. I am just wondering why they are even advertising now? Why didn't they do it in the midst of their ill fated expansion? It makes me scratch my bald head!
Hey, now. Haggen had that one billboard on Adams Avenue near the 805 freeway in San Diego. It remained up for weeks after the last Haggen closed.

But seriously, I wonder if Albertsons is asking them to advertise.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

I should mention that KWPZ is a Bellingham area station with a strong signal into Seattle. But it is in the heart of "Legacy Haggen" territory. In years past, I had heard their ads on that station. In the years before the Comvest purchase and after, there were NO radio ads, until recently. Haggen NEVER advertised on KVOS TV in Bellingham, a station that is available in Seattle. They may have in the past but not for when the signal became available in Seattle again. The only Haggen TV ads were for TOP Foods.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

marshd1000 wrote:I am thinking that the sale has not closed yet. I suspect that Albertsons is waiting until the properties with the closed stores have been sold. Perhaps Albertsons wants nothing to do with shedding those properties?

Speaking of Haggen, I heard the first Haggen radio ad that I've heard in years! I was listening to KWPZ (Praise 106.5). They were advertising the sustainability of their seafood. I am just wondering why they are even advertising now? Why didn't they do it in the midst of their ill fated expansion? It makes me scratch my bald head!
Yeah, it's a new feature that was announced a few weeks ago. I think maybe you're right, that Haggen is going to get rid of the remaining stores before it makes a move...I'm sure we'll see some announcement when Haggen does become part of the Albertsons family.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think lease rejections were dated April 29. Maybe I read the filing wrong.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

News!

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news/30 ... -next-week

Some highlights/remarks:
- The store conversion in Lake Oswego will take more than a week, more time than Haggen took to convert Albertsons.
- It will add a kombucha station to the store. I'm not sure of any other stores that have that feature.
- It will also add a second loading dock to the store, which sounds more expensive and substantial than just a face-lift.
- The store will "keep serving three customer-favorite Haggen bakery items: scones, cinnamon swirl bread and jumbo cinnamon rolls", much like the Paul's doughnuts.
- I'm a little surprised that they're doing this when there are still closed Haggen stores yet to reopen.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

pseudo3d wrote:News!
Some highlights/remarks:
- It will add a kombucha station to the store. I'm not sure of any other stores that have that feature.
- It will also add a second loading dock to the store, which sounds more expensive and substantial than just a face-lift.
- The store will "keep serving three customer-favorite Haggen bakery items: scones, cinnamon swirl bread and jumbo cinnamon rolls", much like the Paul's doughnuts.
The kombucha station will likely be 1-2 taps alongside a traditional beer growler station. They have tried hard to create a "bar/lounge" atmosphere at the front of the Shattuck Rd (Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy) Albertsons and the Pearl Safeway.

I'm glad to hear they will attempt to keep Haggen's cinnamon items, they are truly gourmet and a step up from Albertsons. Their scones were nothing special, but if that's what the Lake O bakery was selling, more power to 'em.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The original Haggens made really good scones... but I always felt like the former Albertsons/Safeway Haggens did not really sell the same items as the original Haggens did. Maybe it was just bad execution.

There are some things they can pull from the original Haggens and if they can execute, they would be really good. I don't have much confidence in the ability of Albertsons/Safeway to execute well especially based on what I have been experiencing in NorCal Division lately but maybe they can pull it off.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

Some highlights/remarks:
- The store conversion in Lake Oswego will take more than a week, more time than Haggen took to convert Albertsons.
- I'm a little surprised that they're doing this when there are still closed Haggen stores yet to reopen.

It is interesting that in that article, it has the store closing on June 1st and the conversion beginning on June 2nd. I just happened t be in Marysville, WA today at a "Legacy Haggn" and saw that the pharmacy was going to be closed on the 1st and 2nd of June. So I spoke to the pharmacist and she confirmed my suspicions. The sale to Albertsons is supposed to close in that time frame. I also spoke to some other staff members and heard the same story.

I also saw a temporary liquor permit dated June 2nd that still said Haggen Inc underneath the line that also stated that Safeway Inc was the lead company. So this seems to me that the transfer of ownership will take lace on June 2nd!

I know that the "Legacy Haggen" stores were supplied by Unified with the Oak Harbor former Safeway being mostly supplied by Supervalu. I wonder how much time it will take for them to get out of contracts? I am wondering if any Haggen private label goods, other than in store bakery items, will survive. However I am thinking that dairy could go to Lucerne before anything else is changed as there is no private label liquid dairy at Haggen. I think they used to but as they struggled, that went away. So it is Darigold and sister brand Home Daries.

I should also note that I heard another radio ad on KWPZ. This time it was more of a generic Haggen ad touting what Haggen carries and what they are about.
klkla

Post by klkla »

marshd1000 wrote:I know that the "Legacy Haggen" stores were supplied by Unified with the Oak Harbor former Safeway being mostly supplied by Supervalu. I wonder how much time it will take for them to get out of contracts?
I would think that Haggen would terminate the contracts while in bankruptcy before the turnover to Albertsons.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

marshd1000 wrote:

Some highlights/remarks:

It is interesting that in that article, it has the store closing on June 1st and the conversion beginning on June 2nd.
I guess that it closes after the June 1st shopping day and the conversion begins the next day. Given the longer week-long conversion process, I'm going that they aren't going to be rushing around the clock to get it reopened as an Albertsons.