Flashback to 2015: Seattle PI compares Trader Joe's and conventional grocers

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Flashback to 2015: Seattle PI compares Trader Joe's and conventional grocers

Post by SamSpade »

Interestingly enough, they chose to use Fred Meyer for this large comparison and excluded QFC. (QFC is the larger / more convenient Kroger division for most Puget Sound homes)
I'm struck how their actual comparison came out with the same conclusions I've had and continue to discover here in Portland (and in Seattle when I lived there).
1. WinCo (and Grocery Outlet) is bargain shopping.
2. Fred Meyer (and Trader Joe's) are kind of in the middle.
3. Safeway is expensive.
4. Costco is good if you can use the quantity / Sam's Club is a new entrant with some fair offerings.
5. PCC and MetMarket are "boutique" shopping and Trader Joe's beats them on price for comparable products.
Is Trader Joe's really cheaper than other big chains? Here's a price comparison

Here in 2017 Portland metro, I'm seeing:
  • Pricing creep up just a little at Fred Meyer but still the "middle" here with Trader Joe's and Walmart offering about the same pricing on items they sell; Fred Meyer and TJs win on wine & beer; fewest gimmicks
  • WinCo still most affordable, no gimmicks, "cash" only but farther away than most stores - some have added higher end touches like expanded wine, sushi
  • Grocery Outlet growing its presence, pricing is good but you are buying on category rather than brand and sometimes items are missing
  • Safeway / Albertsons the high end of middle but less than New Seasons / Market of Choice tier; QFC about the same if a location nearby - opportunities to "save" through loyalty programs and eCoupons
  • Whole Foods Market / Zupans still the market leaders in high-end