More Fred Meyer security issues?

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Super S

More Fred Meyer security issues?

Post by Super S »

I have already mentioned the Gateway store. This pertains to the rest of the Fred Meyer chain.

I have been to three different Fred Meyer stores in the past two weeks and noticed a loud, pre-recorded PA message (in fact the same exact message in all of them): "Security check to Section B" I also noticed a large red sign appearing at the doorways asking to show a receipt when requested by store personnel.

While these moves aren't really out of line (especially with Christmas approaching), it does make you wonder if there are issues when you hear announcements over the PA. Or maybe, this is to try to deter shoplifting in the first place? The announcement is not something that Fred Meyer has done in the past.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: More Fred Meyer security issues?

Post by SamSpade »

Super S wrote: October 17th, 2017, 3:24 pm I also noticed a large red sign appearing at the doorways asking to show a receipt when requested by store personnel.

While these moves aren't really out of line (especially with Christmas approaching). . .Or maybe, this is to try to deter shoplifting in the first place? The announcement is not something that Fred Meyer has done in the past.
Fred Meyer also seems to be employing "greeters" (yellow shirted employees) at entrances now, similar to Walmart. I did see the giant red signs at both the NE Broadway and Beaverton (Central) Fred Meyer stores in the past week. They are also closing the non-food door of both of these stores at 8 or 9 pm now. I suppose this allows for a slight savings on labor and a better security focus for loss prevention, similar to how all area Safeways close their deli facing doors at around the same time.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Effective security measures are those that are largely invisible to the average customer, but target the thieves.

Customers do not want to feel like they are shopping in a store that is unsafe, and measures like signs saying to show your receipt, tacky announcements over the PA that are obviously canned and played again and again, and similar seem to give the impression that there are a lot of "issues" going on in the store. Whether or not that is the case, I do not know. If that really is the case, it is unfortunate Fred Meyer has gotten to this point. Beyond a uniformed guard at some doors, I do not see or observe such obvious security measures at Target. I have seen measures like this at Wal Mart with the "show receipt to exit" and similar, but never heard ghost security pages there.

Smiths and Frys both used to have greeters in some stores, but Kroger cut that position a few years ago.

I noticed WinCo here in Reno has a greeter now. This is a good move as I have observed people running out the entrance with items in hand or with carts.

The plastic bag bans also continue to create security challenges for stores. The best solution to that, is to overturn the bans. At 99 Cents Only there are now pages over the speaker advising customers to "not fill reusable bags while shopping." I have seen signs to that effect in some Ralphs as well, a couple years ago. And other challenges in places like San Diego that are beyond the scope of this board.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: October 17th, 2017, 10:59 pm Effective security measures are those that are largely invisible to the average customer, but target the thieves.

Customers do not want to feel like they are shopping in a store that is unsafe, and measures like signs saying to show your receipt, tacky announcements over the PA that are obviously canned and played again and again, and similar seem to give the impression that there are a lot of "issues" going on in the store...
This. And most professional thieves (or theft at the internal level) aren't going to care about 'door greeters' or fake security announcements, which are more of an illusion of security than anything else. Maybe it will stop grandma from pocketing a candy bar, but that is about it. It is also very difficult for an actual LP employee to catch thieves nowadays due to liability and lawsuits and whatnot.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I was in the Johnson Creek Fred Meyer yesterday, and noticed that they have Levi's all locked up now. I know this area is kinda "on the edge" as far as struggling stores, but not far away from the Fred Meyer on Foster & 82nd that recently closed.

It seems as though Fred Meyer is losing control in apparel if these measures are spreading out to other stores. There are issues when other stores don't lock up clothing though. I have a feeling we could see more "marketplace" conversions, or just a shift to cheaper brands, in the not too distant future.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: September 12th, 2018, 9:14 am I was in the Johnson Creek Fred Meyer yesterday, and noticed that they have Levi's all locked up now. I know this area is kinda "on the edge" as far as struggling stores, but not far away from the Fred Meyer on Foster & 82nd that recently closed.

It seems as though Fred Meyer is losing control in apparel if these measures are spreading out to other stores. There are issues when other stores don't lock up clothing though. I have a feeling we could see more "marketplace" conversions, or just a shift to cheaper brands, in the not too distant future.
It does seem as if their stores have become a target for a lot of theft based on these actions that are being taken. Or if retail theft has taken a large uptick in Portland in general and they are just caught in that situation. I think issues like displays being too close together, a lot of corners where cameras may not be able to view, etc. may be contributing to this problem.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: September 12th, 2018, 6:27 pm
Super S wrote: September 12th, 2018, 9:14 am I was in the Johnson Creek Fred Meyer yesterday, and noticed that they have Levi's all locked up now. I know this area is kinda "on the edge" as far as struggling stores, but not far away from the Fred Meyer on Foster & 82nd that recently closed.

It does seem as if their stores have become a target for a lot of theft based on these actions that are being taken. Or if retail theft has taken a large uptick in Portland in general and they are just caught in that situation. I think issues like displays being too close together, a lot of corners where cameras may not be able to view, etc. may be contributing to this problem.
The police in Portland don't care about shoplifters and make it a low priority crime. When the consequences are low, shoplifting becomes an attractive opportunity. Also, Fred Meyer stores with the crowded racks, low staffing level in apparel and many entrances likely make shoplifters feel more comfortable than other stores.
eric1972sea
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by eric1972sea »

I worked at Kmart years ago and management had us make regular security to section so and so over the PA system whenever there was no loss prevention employee on duty. The thought was that it would scare potential shoplifters, preventing them from shoplifting.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I was in the Carson City, NV Smiths tonight. There are new "no merchandise in the restroom" signs posted on the restroom doors. That isn't particularly unusual.

I got over to the meat department. The meat department had some interesting looking meat packages, mostly beef, mostly those above about $15. The packages appeared to be triple wrapped and had a flat security tag that was very visible and a sticker that said "security tag attached." These stickers and the price tags were all wrapped very tightly below the top layer of plastic to eliminate tag switching or trying to remove the security tags without really puncturing the package.

Then there was the liquor department in the back corner of the store, that is now being locked up at night with a big huge security gate. This again is not particularly unusual but the liquor is in the very back corner of the store nowhere near any employees or other way to get it unlocked.

Looks like a store with a shrink/theft problem.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I had to run to Beaverton yesterday and while there stopped in the Fred Meyer. Looks like this location has permanently closed the entrance to the GM side of the store as the windows are all covered up on the doors now and the checkstands at that end of the store have been removed. This store still has a center entrance and one at the grocery end.

This could imply that there were theft issues (electronics is situated by this set of doors) or it could imply that the GM side of the store is struggling. I honestly am not sure what the story is here. But it now places Electronics in a far corner of the store where it is not very visible, and the center entrance is down a bit of a corridor instead of right by the main checkstands, with only one register awkwardly placed there by the doors for apparel.