More Fred Meyer security issues?

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: More Fred Meyer security issues?

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: September 9th, 2021, 11:28 pm

Also in OR you now have the plastic bag ban in place with mandatory super thick plastic bag fee. Given that a bag means product is paid for, it is more difficult to detect what is and isn't paid for at the exit. In a store like Fred Meyer with the somewhat strange layout, and registers that are not necessarily near or within view of the doors, and customers coming to the doors from a lot of different directions, this creates a bit of a theft monitoring challenge. Folks trying to shoplift love reusable bags- they shop into them and if a lot of other customers are using them too, they blend right into the crowd. Then they make a quick getaway.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 10:46 am

Also in OR you now have the plastic bag ban in place with mandatory super thick plastic bag fee. Given that a bag means product is paid for, it is more difficult to detect what is and isn't paid for at the exit. In a store like Fred Meyer with the somewhat strange layout, and registers that are not necessarily near or within view of the doors, and customers coming to the doors from a lot of different directions, this creates a bit of a theft monitoring challenge. Folks trying to shoplift love reusable bags- they shop into them and if a lot of other customers are using them too, they blend right into the crowd. Then they make a quick getaway.
Go work in loss prevention at a large retail store like Fred Meyer, and you won't be laughing. Unless you find it funny or a joke when people successfully shoplift. I suppose you can say it is a prank or a joke or the store can "afford it" since the store "makes so much money."

But it starts to hit home when gets to be so out of control that it starts to inconvenience all of the paying customers...

Have you ever actually been to a Fred Meyer Store and seen how it is laid out? It is not laid out anything like a Wal Mart, Target, Meijer, or Super Kmart... these Fred Meyer stores of the 80's and 90's era are very difficult from a theft prevention standpoint due to their layout.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote: September 10th, 2021, 11:24 am
mbz321 wrote: September 10th, 2021, 10:46 am

Go work in loss prevention at a large retail store like Fred Meyer, and you won't be laughing. Unless you find it funny or a joke when people successfully shoplift. I suppose you can say it is a prank or a joke or the store can "afford it" since the store "makes so much money."

But it starts to hit home when gets to be so out of control that it starts to inconvenience all of the paying customers...

Have you ever actually been to a Fred Meyer Store and seen how it is laid out? It is not laid out anything like a Wal Mart, Target, Meijer, or Super Kmart... these Fred Meyer stores of the 80's and 90's era are very difficult from a theft prevention standpoint due to their layout.
You don't like the T shape? ;)

As early as 1996 they at least started reforming to a more traditional 2 doors with seasonal garden and home improvement side entrances for large purchases.

Beaverton appeared to convert the doors near electronics and apparel to be used for the ClickList ... I mean Pickup area. That store is kind of crazy, it used to have 4 sets of customer accessible doors. Still only one set of restrooms, though.

Clearly Kroger has tried to stem the flow of shoplifting with the canned announcements, the beeping small monitors in health and beauty aids, the lot cops (at all Portland stores except Stadium as far as I know), the metal one-way gates at main entry/exit, securing non-food doors until 7 am and closing them at 8 pm. There used to be posted signs and I've heard employees announce on the store address system when they are preparing to close the non-food doors at Beaverton. I will agree that the "center" door near the bank, vision center, jeweler, and apparel/shoe cash wrap does kind of feel like a main door though.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: September 10th, 2021, 4:31 pmYou don't like the T shape? [/color] ;)

As early as 1996 they at least started reforming to a more traditional 2 doors with seasonal garden and home improvement side entrances for large purchases.

Beaverton appeared to convert the doors near electronics and apparel to be used for the ClickList ... I mean Pickup area. That store is kind of crazy, it used to have 4 sets of customer accessible doors. Still only one set of restrooms, though.

Clearly Kroger has tried to stem the flow of shoplifting with the canned announcements, the beeping small monitors in health and beauty aids, the lot cops (at all Portland stores except Stadium as far as I know), the metal one-way gates at main entry/exit, securing non-food doors until 7 am and closing them at 8 pm. There used to be posted signs and I've heard employees announce on the store address system when they are preparing to close the non-food doors at Beaverton. I will agree that the "center" door near the bank, vision center, jeweler, and apparel/shoe cash wrap does kind of feel like a main door though.
From a customer perspective I really like the T shape. It is one of my favorite store designs as each area of the store has its own unique feel. I also like it from a parking lot perspective as it allows the opportunity for more ability to park closer to doors, or park close to whatever department you are going in for.

Even the mid 90's stores with two doors have a bit of a problem for traffic flow. Over on the bakery/deli/clothing side, you have folks who come out of clothing registers from one direction and come out of main registers from the opposite direction. When you have people who have already paid walking out and mixing with people as they enter into the store, you have a bit of a free for all from a loss prevention standpoint making it very easy for people who do not pay, to easily walk out without paying and blend in.

In the typical Wal Mart/Target Store the entry/exit traffic is guided basically one lane in and one land out, and there is a flow of two direction traffic split onto two sides and it is pretty obvious who is coming from what direction. This is why we see things like those entry/exit gates to try and "flow" the traffic so it can be monitored more easily. Even in the newer Fred Meyer Stores, the traffic flow just isn't like that.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: September 10th, 2021, 5:24 pm
SamSpade wrote: September 10th, 2021, 4:31 pmYou don't like the T shape? [/color] ;)

From a customer perspective I really like the T shape. It is one of my favorite store designs as each area of the store has its own unique feel. I also like it from a parking lot perspective as it allows the opportunity for more ability to park closer to doors, or park close to whatever department you are going in for.

Even the mid 90's stores with two doors have a bit of a problem for traffic flow. Over on the bakery/deli/clothing side, you have folks who come out of clothing registers from one direction and come out of main registers from the opposite direction. When you have people who have already paid walking out and mixing with people as they enter into the store, you have a bit of a free for all from a loss prevention standpoint making it very easy for people who do not pay, to easily walk out without paying and blend in.

In the typical Wal Mart/Target Store the entry/exit traffic is guided basically one lane in and one land out, and there is a flow of two direction traffic split onto two sides and it is pretty obvious who is coming from what direction. This is why we see things like those entry/exit gates to try and "flow" the traffic so it can be monitored more easily. Even in the newer Fred Meyer Stores, the traffic flow just isn't like that.
Two things. Under Oregon law there is no such thing as shoplifting. Only theft. So to prove theft you have to show intent such as concealment or heading straight for the door after taking the item off the shelf. Just walking out the door without actually seeing the person take it makes for a weak case where the DA will not prosecute.

Two, Fred Meyer sells so little home and apparel item now, and the food departments have taken over so much of the store that there really isn't a clothing or home entrance anymore, just two or three doors.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: September 11th, 2021, 7:57 pm
Two, Fred Meyer sells so little home and apparel item now, and the food departments have taken over so much of the store that there really isn't a clothing or home entrance anymore, just two or three doors.
What do you think they are going to do with these departments?

We see they are bringing in some different merchandise into home with Martha, etc. - is it going to help?

I think their garden category is still rather strong- certainly well executed.

I think DIP in clothing was a complete flop but it doesn't seem like they know how to turn that situation around.