Two New Safeway Decor Packages

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Albertsons Rapid City

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: September 28th, 2021, 6:42 pm I see that Rapid City Safeway had the original Lifestyle decor and Albertsons did a repaint to it, and now they did a full remodel there. That must be a good performer. In general I have heard Safeway does well in Rapid City. There is a new build (pre merger) Safeway there in Rapid City as well. I am surprised Hy Vee is not in Rapid City.
The former Albertsons/Family Thrift in downtown Rapid City is up for lease: https://www.crexi.com/lease/properties/ ... 5-omaha-st
Nash Finch managed to preserve the 2003 Albertsons interior, and kept the Albertsons font Pharmacy and Liquor signage on the store until closure.
I wonder what would've happened to this store if it managed to survive into 2013 or so (when Albertsons reunited)?
storewanderer

Re: Two New Safeway Decor Packages

Post by storewanderer »

No idea why I thought it actually got a Safeway new build, it must have been that lot.

Nash bought the Scottsbluff Albertsons too and while they did close the store quite quickly, they kept the fuel center open in the parking lot. The Scottsbluff Albertsons was a newer store. I think they have since sold the fuel center. Nash previously also failed with Sun Mart Foods in Scottsbluff. Somehow the not in great condition never remodeled into Lifestyle and part of the Denver Amazin Low Prices program Safeway beat out these competitors. I think that and one store down in Pueblo are the only Safeways still open that were on the Amazin Low Prices program.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: September 30th, 2021, 6:59 pm No idea why I thought it actually got a Safeway new build, it must have been that lot.

Nash bought the Scottsbluff Albertsons too and while they did close the store quite quickly, they kept the fuel center open in the parking lot. The Scottsbluff Albertsons was a newer store. I think they have since sold the fuel center. Nash previously also failed with Sun Mart Foods in Scottsbluff. Somehow the not in great condition never remodeled into Lifestyle and part of the Denver Amazin Low Prices program Safeway beat out these competitors. I think that and one store down in Pueblo are the only Safeways still open that were on the Amazin Low Prices program.
The Scottsbluff Albertsons was a Grocery Palace. This one had a Sav-on pharmacy (which I find weird, considering Osco was used in Nebraska):
Safeway extends as far east as Ogallala, NE (25 miles east of the I-76/I-80 junction). They (and a new Walmart) managed to run the Nash Finch Sunmart there out of business.
The Great Plains grocery market is interesting and unique to say the least.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: February 23rd, 2018, 10:32 pm
I've got lots of photos of La Junta. It actually got the Steve Burd pharmacy upgrade so the area around the pharmacy is in Lifestyle colors but it has some other fixture over the pharmacy.
Old post, but it reminded me of a former Kroger near my brothers' house in Metro Detroit. It was an original supercenter, but unlike others it did not receive any refurbishments during the late 1980s/early 1990s. In the early 2000s, Kroger renovated the produce department -- largely to incorporate the real estate of the former video store and add modern automation that saved on labor -- with Ralphs-style decor. The rest of the store remained in its original 1970s state.

Kroger had acquired the strip mall, and wanted to build a new store at the other end, but the city wouldn't agree to their plan (I don't know for sure why, probably over incentives, etc. is my guess). It closed around 2010 when the lease expired, in favor of a former nearby Farmer Jack.

I was only in it a few times, but I wish I would've taken some pictures! What a ghetto store...
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

I was in Newberg, Oregon at Safeway, and it has a decor package that seems to be fairly unique to that store… any idea what it is? This is a former Thriftway.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

bryceleinan wrote: October 26th, 2021, 5:51 pm I was in Newberg, Oregon at Safeway, and it has a decor package that seems to be fairly unique to that store… any idea what it is? This is a former Thriftway.
The Newberg store is really outdated, which makes me assume it's not performing well. Most of the Albertsons and Safeway stores in the Portland market have recently had their decor package updated to the new Modern look. I wonder if the remaining stores in the Portland market will receive the same treatment.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: October 26th, 2021, 8:29 pm
bryceleinan wrote: October 26th, 2021, 5:51 pm I was in Newberg, Oregon at Safeway, and it has a decor package that seems to be fairly unique to that store… any idea what it is? This is a former Thriftway.
The Newberg store is really outdated, which makes me assume it's not performing well. Most of the Albertsons and Safeway stores in the Portland market have recently had their decor package updated to the new Modern look. I wonder if the remaining stores in the Portland market will receive the same treatment.
That's just the pre-lifestyle package. Before lifestyle, the Reno, Truckee, and Sparks Stores had it. Sparks and South Lake Tahoe both were built with and opened with that package. The store in central Klamath Falls had it as well before being sold to Haggen.

Newberg Store was always fairly busy when I went in... I think it got that package right before the Lifestyle program started and missed the remodel schedule. More recently around Portland it appears they are remodeling poorly performing stores that have outdated interiors in an effort to revive them.

I think Colorful Lifestyle is more common around Portland than Modern.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: October 26th, 2021, 9:10 pm
babs wrote: October 26th, 2021, 8:29 pm
That's just the pre-lifestyle package. Before lifestyle, the Reno, Truckee, and Sparks Stores had it. Sparks and South Lake Tahoe both were built with and opened with that package. The store in central Klamath Falls had it as well before being sold to Haggen.

Newberg Store was always fairly busy when I went in... I think it got that package right before the Lifestyle program started and missed the remodel schedule. More recently around Portland it appears they are remodeling poorly performing stores that have outdated interiors in an effort to revive them.

I think Colorful Lifestyle is more common around Portland than Modern.
Actually the stores that have been remodeled this year are the highest volume stores including King City (top sales store in the region), Murrayhill, Sherwood, Tanasbourne, Shattuck Rd. Albertsons, all getting the modern look.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: October 26th, 2021, 10:32 pm
Actually the stores that have been remodeled this year are the highest volume stores including King City (top sales store in the region), Murrayhill, Sherwood, Tanasbourne, Shattuck Rd. Albertsons, all getting the modern look.
What about those two remodels down by Hillsboro/Aloha of a couple of low volume Safeway units? Both to colorful lifestyle.

Has Tanasbourne been remodeled again in the past few months? It had colorful lifestyle very recently... Same for Murray Hill.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Are they doing the grocery aisles named as neighborhood streets, like what they have done with the Phx remodels?