Winter Storm panic shopping

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Super S

Re: Winter Storm panic shopping

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: February 21st, 2019, 7:11 pm
Super S wrote: February 21st, 2019, 9:28 am I don't know if this is related, but I noticed that the Fred Meyer brand of 2% milk has been replaced by the Mountain Dairy brand (which has been absent from the Fred Meyer I shop at for a few years) and on the label it states "Real California Milk" I could see them bringing in milk from other areas to cover a temporary shortage.
Is the plant number 06-xx? If so it is coming in from California.

Or the labels got screwed up...

If it is coming from California it is coming from southern California.
Plant#06-82. So it really is from California.
I have read that some dairies in central/eastern WA were hit pretty hard with dairy cows dying in the cold. Not sure if this is the case in Oregon though. The milk tastes fresh enough, but still, a lot of people buy Fred Meyer brand dairy products knowing they have a local dairy, not to mention that Fred Meyer is not located in California. Hopefully this is only temporary.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Brian Lutz wrote: February 21st, 2019, 10:16 am Mountain Dairy is a brand commonly found at QFC (oddly enough, they sell both Mountain Dairy and QFC branded milk, with the QFC brand being slightly more expensive even though I'm guessing the product is exactly the same.) They might be bringing it in from a different dairy than usual, but it's probably still coming from a Kroger/ Inter-American facility.
Fred Meyer used to have the two brands (in this case Fred Meyer instead of QFC) side-by-side, but shifted to the Fred Meyer brand only a couple years back, and has maintained a price comparable to Winco. The Mountain Dairy brand was only on the 2% and was in place of the Fred Meyer brand.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I'm not sure where Kroger's dairy plant gets their milk from in this area, but in the Yakima Valley a number of dairy farms collectively lost around 1,800 cows in a blizzard earlier this month, so some of their suppliers may be running below capacity. Then again, most of the losses were in the Sunnyside area where Darigold has a large plant, and Kroger's dairy plant is in Portland.

https://komonews.com/news/local/washing ... n-blizzard
Super S

Post by Super S »

As of tonight my local store is back to the Fred Meyer brand of milk from plant 4145 which is Swan Island Dairy in Portland. My guess is that the California stuff was to cover a shortage.