Shun Fat (SF) Supermarket coming to Portland

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Shun Fat (SF) Supermarket coming to Portland

Post by SamSpade »

Already scattered across California, Texas, and Nevada.

Taking over the former SE Foster Rd at 82nd Ave Fred Meyer.
storewanderer

Re: Shun Fat (SF) Supermarket coming to Portland

Post by storewanderer »

This is an okay operator. They were actually the first "large" Asian supermarket to venture into Sacramento in the late 90's.

Their front end "technology" is pretty bad. Credit/debit is processed through a separate terminal from the main register.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

SamSpade wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 6:07 pm Already scattered across California, Texas, and Nevada.
If they had any Texas locations, they closed, because the closest one is in Las Vegas.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Dallas Superstore
3212 Jupiter Rd.
Garland, TX 75041

Although looking at Google Maps, this doesn't make any sense at all. :-?
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Shun Fat is open. It's comparable to 99 Ranch but a broader "Asian" perspective. They reused a little of the former Fred Meyer but appear to have used UNFI for new store signs and supplies. A few IGA items, lots of Essential Everyday house labels.
OregonLive.com has good photos from the preview.

Edit:
Fixed mobile typos. Added "article" link.
https://expo.oregonlive.com/life-and-cu ... meyer.html

Our cashier said that Friday was way worse than Sunday. Our free gift with over $50 spent was a pretty nice couple items - a sauce and one other item.

As noted below, while this is definitely an "Asian" supermarket, there is enough mainstream merchandise that someone could certainly use this market while eating a primarily western diet.
https://www.kptv.com/news/internationa ... 9a408.html
Last edited by SamSpade on June 17th, 2019, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I took a look at the article. From the pictures, it looks like they are trying to bring the Asian elements in while at the same time keeping mainstream items on hand. I think they may have realized that Fred Meyer left a void as a neighborhood grocer. A lot of Asian supermarkets seem to concentrate on the Asian end of things only while not even trying to appeal to other customers and have little to no mainstream offerings. I will say that I have been to a few Asian supermarkets where I almost felt unwelcome.

I am glad that, unlike the old Rockwood store, this one at least gets a second life.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

They did the same thing with both Sacramento stores they opened. Both were in underserved areas. The one that opened in the 90's was in an extremely underserved rough neighborhood. It had a fairly extensive selection of items from Certified back then and as time went on they tinkered with the product mix to match the customers who were coming to the store. Not long after some additional grocers showed up somewhat nearby and likely captured most of the western customers.