Saar's Super Saver Foods to close in Lake Stevens

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Saar's Super Saver Foods to close in Lake Stevens

Post by Brian Lutz »

The Saar's Super Saver Foods store in Lake Stevens, only opened about a year ago, is already closing down. The store locator on their website no longer lists this location, but aside from that I can not find much info. The store was originally an Albertson's that briefly became County Market (a little-used Supervalu banner) and sat vacant for some time before Saar's moved in.

Can't say I'm too surprised by this though, In spite of a store filled with banners touting low prices I found most items were priced comparably to the nearby Safeway (which is already pretty high compared to the Fred Meyer in Snohomish.) I suspect most people in Lake Stevens found little reason to shop there.
storewanderer

Re: Saar's Super Saver Foods to close in Lake Stevens

Post by storewanderer »

Saar's sure opens and closes a lot of stores... but they seem to occupy a lot of sites that used to be grocers. I wonder how they do this.

Maybe Lake Stevens was still fixtured so they just easily moved in and didn't have to do much beyond stocking it?

I think a couple of now closed locations of theirs I went to that were in old QFCs still had all the old QFC fixtures and equipment... even the old cash registers.

Maybe Saars strategy is to simply move into whatever grocery store goes vacant and is sitting there "for lease" with fixtures and see if they can make it work.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Saar's Super Saver Foods to close in Lake Stevens

Post by Brian Lutz »

I know Supervalu left shelves and other fixtures in the store when they left, but I don't think Saar's used all of them. One thing they did use was the checkstands, since the store still has the old turntable checkstands from the original Albertson's.