Portland Jacksons store installs facial recognition camera

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Super S

Portland Jacksons store installs facial recognition camera

Post by Super S »

https://www.kptv.com/news/hour-portland ... aa334.html

During certain hours, the camera is used to unlock the doors to the store.

I have mixed opinions about this. It could prevent crime and be beneficial when there are times there is only one employee on duty. But at the same time, does the store have enough overnight sales to justify this? I also see potential for technology to malfunction in instances where somebody might have an actual emergency.
storewanderer

Re: Portland Jacksons store installs facial recognition camera

Post by storewanderer »

I don't quite understand how it works...

So what happens? Does the employee see my face and decide whether or not to let me in? If I go in then shoplift does the employee somehow flag my image in the camera's database and then if I try to return the camera won't let me in? What if I just go in behind someone else or wait for someone to exit and enter at the same time as they do?

I've seen places like this. You kick someone out, they keep coming back. You call the police to trespass them out, the police either don't respond or even that doesn't matter and they keep coming back anyway... so then you get a system like this which will somehow stop you from getting in again (until someone else goes in/out and you follow them...).

Also in Oregon the gas attendants are outside all night. What happens if one of them needs to quickly get back into the store for some reason (like, too quick to mess with using a key or whatever other way there is to override this system) and whoever is to activate/unlock the door is occupied with some other task and cannot quickly get the door unlocked?

Also not sure how well this will work in the rain... maybe they will need a bigger awning but how clear of a photo of rainy faces do cameras get?

We will see how this works out. This place must pull a lot of business overnight to justify the cost of this system plus the other "issues" involved. Especially given this is on ACLU's radar already since they got quoted in the article... Jacksons has eliminated 24 hour operations from a lot of stores up here in Nevada as time has gone on due to a lack of traffic overnight.

Then again it may also be better to keep it open all night than to close it, because at least if it is open in the middle of the night, it won't turn into a sleeping facility for homeless or become overly vandalized...

Then there is the approach Quik Trip is using in Tulsa. Some tough stores in some areas there; surreal feeling at night despite being big bright modern well lit sites. https://csnews.com/quiktrips-first-arme ... s-get-work
https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/c ... 00be5.html

I think this human approach is much better than trying to rely on cameras and some databases.