Portland's "scary" Safeway being updated

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Portland's "scary" Safeway being updated

Post by SamSpade »

Despite all the challenges, similar to the post about Seattle, Safeway Portland division is investing in downtown Portland, renovations the "10th and Jeff" Safeway into colorful Lifestyle variation. Like Cedar Mill, slight adjustment to the concept with a lot of corrugated metal - on aisle signs, behind cursive letter department signs, etc.

HUGE modern self check going in (this is a small basket shop store) similar to the one in Pearl District or busy Kroger-owned stores. Does not have the newest Toshiba registers though. 4 "classic" checkstands.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Portland's "scary" Safeway being updated

Post by SamSpade »

Update: store at SW Allen Blvd and Murray Blvd in Beaverton is also being updated (hopefully new ceiling tiles... This store is like Lloyd District was with former can lights covered by everyday cardboard). The Lifestyle aisle markers are up but department signs gone.

Starbucks here will likely be rebuilt as a Wells Fargo branch is no longer in the corner by the service deli.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Update 2: the NE 60th and Sandy Blvd store is also missing department signs and in the early stages of a renovation. This store still has working Lifestyle can lights but also added strips. The strips here are the Safeway fixtures though.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

This store remodel is complete. Several "grand re-opening" bus shelter ads are up in the downtown area.
Here are some photos:
Endcap example
New produce, shows the bridge photos
Service seafood

Polished concrete in, all floor tiles and faux wood gone. They also appear to have reduced some of the 'decor' over the deli department. The end caps are all really nice looking, a lot like the Cedar Mill store during the grand re-opening there. The bakery now has a cake counter... and promotion of having "better" baked goods. I wasn't able to photo that as there were too many people around. The service meat counter remains only a fish counter, for reasons I don't understand. I would think pre-wrapped fish and the opportunity to offer service meat would be better for their customers.

I will say though, the "scary" reputation lingers, thanks to aggressive security they've contracted with. While I was there today, a security officer strangled a man who had a cart full of something and then dragged him to one of the streetside exits. They continued to argue as he asked him to 'step off the property.' Workers and shoppers seemed to enjoy the theatrics. But, I didn't.