Smith's petitioning for a tavern (growler fill station) license in Utah

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Smith's petitioning for a tavern (growler fill station) license in Utah

Post by SamSpade »

In Utah Booze News, Ben Winslow has edited an interview during this month's DABC hearing where Smith's Food & Drug is proposing an in-store "tavern" for beer service and growler bottle fills in Park City, Utah (technically just a bit outside city limits).

This would be one of the larger areas for alcoholic beverage sales in Utah.

From listening to the hearing, many good questions were being asked and I am not sure Smith's will be able to follow through unless they somehow figure out a way to make an external store entrance adjacent. The proposed tavern will be surrounded by 4 foot high walls and no minors allowed.

Smith's currently has "bars" in Las Vegas, Nevada and Los Alamos, New Mexico locations.

https://fox13now.com/2019/09/25/utah-bo ... ery-store/
storewanderer

Re: Smith's petitioning for a tavern (growler fill station) license in Utah

Post by storewanderer »

Raleys did one of these here in Reno at one of their well performing stores in a solid neighborhood. I am not sure how it has done; they have done a couple store remodels here since then, as well as two major resets (but no decor change) to a couple other stores, and have not included this feature.

In the case of Smiths in Park City that is such a busy store, given the location, I would think this would do well. But I wonder how many other places there are in Park City that offer growler fills... might get lost in the shuffle. Maybe the demand is there.