UNFI's great Seattle tofu shortage

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

UNFI's great Seattle tofu shortage

Post by SamSpade »

https://www.capitolhillseattle.com/2020 ... e-of-2020/

UNFI could not keep up with the run on tofu in Seattle.
pseudo3d

Re: UNFI's great Seattle tofu shortage

Post by pseudo3d »

Shows how much demand there really is for vegetarian products in West Coast cities--here in my town, tofu and other vegetarian products were easy to find with new shortages or limits.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Funny, here in Reno Smiths a couple years ago did a nice job getting in 6-8 different brands/types of Tofu including a couple Simple Truth SKUs. It looked to me like it sold well, I never saw it on markdown and never saw any expired... Then last year they discontinued all but one of them. Eventually the Simple Truth did show back up but it is inconsistently stocked.

I have also had a lot of issues with Safeway where they have a lot more SKUs of Tofu selling seriously expired product.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Not an isolated thing. Giant-Landover still hasn't restocked tofu and there's been very little at Whole foods. Trade Joe's, supplied by UNFI finally had a normal selection late last week.

Tofu shortages make sense in the context of shortages of pasta, dried beans, and rice. Tofu is bought for protein (like beans). it also provides bulk for dishes much like the usual carbs. It's also pretty shelf stable (in the fridge of course), although less so than pasta, beans or rice. It's not just for a small minority of shoppers.