Capitol Hill Trader Joe’s indefinitely Closed

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Capitol Hill Trader Joe’s indefinitely Closed

Post by marshd1000 »

storewanderer

Re: Capitol Hill Trader Joe’s indefinitely Closed

Post by storewanderer »

What about the QFC and Bartell a couple blocks away?

That QFC stopped offering public restrooms due to issues that were taking place. Literally walled off the hallway. I think this neighborhood has been struggling for the past few with increased crime and drug usage among those around it (huge slide downhill from how it was a decade ago).

Seems a little iffy if this is a store closure for good on Trader Joe's part or if they do not want to be caught in the middle of what is going on in that neighborhood in Seattle and just closed the place until things settle down. It is possible the occupy situation made it difficult for suppliers and staff to reach the store, as well as customers. Wait, when does Trader Joe's close stores and abandon a location? Has this happened before? I'm sure it has but it must be awfully rare...
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote: June 13th, 2020, 1:45 pm What about the QFC and Bartell a couple blocks away?

That QFC stopped offering public restrooms due to issues that were taking place. Literally walled off the hallway. I think this neighborhood has been struggling for the past few with increased crime and drug usage among those around it (huge slide downhill from how it was a decade ago).

Seems a little iffy if this is a store closure for good on Trader Joe's part or if they do not want to be caught in the middle of what is going on in that neighborhood in Seattle and just closed the place until things settle down. It is possible the occupy situation made it difficult for suppliers and staff to reach the store, as well as customers. Wait, when does Trader Joe's close stores and abandon a location? Has this happened before? I'm sure it has but it must be awfully rare...
They closed their store adjacent to Metrocenter Mall in Phoenix in 2008.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: June 13th, 2020, 1:45 pm What about the QFC and Bartell a couple blocks away?

Whether reports of high crime and extortion fees in the CHAZ are true or not, if a situation has gotten to the point where a retail store can no longer reasonably guarantee safety of its customers or cover losses from shrink, it closes. The immediate situation in Seattle became volatile within a matter of weeks (instead of a slow decline of weeks) and can change again once the protesters go home, or it could just close permanently.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: June 14th, 2020, 12:34 am

Whether reports of high crime and extortion fees in the CHAZ are true or not, if a situation has gotten to the point where a retail store can no longer reasonably guarantee safety of its customers or cover losses from shrink, it closes. The immediate situation in Seattle became volatile within a matter of weeks (instead of a slow decline of weeks) and can change again once the protesters go home, or it could just close permanently.
I am wondering if distancing rules have also caused problems here. Rent for this store was undoubtedly very high. Having to limit the number of customers inside at once may have messed up with sales volume and caused a situation where the volume no longer was what it needed to be to cover the rent.

Add to it that it sounds like a new PCC Market opens nearby soon which would have likely taken some customers from this store, and maybe the store simply wasn't doing the business it needed to do. Add in the current events the past few months and specifically the past week may have been the tipping point to shut it down.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Word today is the store is remodeling and will reopen in a couple weeks. Something about enhanced security. Or something. But they are doing some kind of construction in the store and will reopen once that is done.