Oregon Plastic Bag Ban lifted if stores run out of paper bags

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Oregon Plastic Bag Ban lifted if stores run out of paper bags

Post by storewanderer »

https://www.kptv.com/news/still-seeing- ... 3fb56.html

Interesting article. Paper shortage on paper bags so stores are being allowed to use thin bags if they can't get paper bags. But the ban on plastic bags is still in effect.

Previous guidance in OR earlier this year was that the ban should not be enforced due to COVID but it was not being lifted either.

Alpha8472
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Oregon Plastic Bag Ban lifted if stores run out of paper bags

Post by Alpha8472 »

I was at a Walmart in the San Francisco Bay Area and the entire store had run out of super thick plastic bags. The store did have tons of thin plastic bags. There is apparently no shortage of thin bags and the store probably had tons lying around in the back ready at a moment's notice.

If stores neglect to order enough paper bags, then they would end up saving tons of money by using thin plastic bags. Perhaps stores will simply not order any paper bags because they know that thin bags will save them money in the long run.

storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by storewanderer »

If cost on paper bag is 10 cents (probably higher now due to shortages) and OR has the store charge 5 cents (store can charge more if they want), but the thin plastic bag has cost of 1 cent, theoretically the store is better off providing the free thin bags.

I went to a NorCal Safeway that was charging 10 cents for the thin bags recently. Nice mark up there. No other location I've seen charge for those.

Trader Joe's allows reusable bags in store again. They also have plastic bags now due to the paper bag shortage and their paper bags no longer have handles. Supposedly Trader Joe's is not letting customers bag themselves because it sounds like they do not want people getting too close to the cashier to bag their own items? I don't get it.

From

~ttps://www.reddit.com/r/tjcrew/comments/j8fyw2 ... able_bags/
"Now imagine a customer sneezing or coughing in their vehicle, picking their nose, or sloppily eating a taco and licking their fingers, then grabbing their bags to shop at Trader Joe's without sanitizing, washing, or putting on gloves before doing so. Does the movement of opening, packing, and lifting bags not just shake off dust, debris, animal hair, etc. but also Covid that has been lying on its surface? Infection via the eyes can also happen."

"Customers bags were filthy before covid , I literally had a bag with actual poop in it ( the customer looked at me like I was the weird one for being pissed). Seriously, this is just asking for trouble ."

"Our store policy has just been changed as well. We must use customers' skank bags. I just do the opposite. I tell customer they can bag into their bags right there on the counter. Fuck it. Don't care. "

veteran+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by veteran+ »

So what exactly is your point?

Most people are literally pigs.

CURRENTLY no matter what we do, the environment is going to suffer (plastic no matter what thickness, reusable, paper).

I just don't get the preoccupation with this.

The RIGHT thing is not gonna happen because it is always about profit and then cost.