Kroger closing 2 QFC stores due to $4 Hazard pay

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Kroger closing 2 QFC stores due to $4 Hazard pay

Post by marshd1000 »

While it makes sense for Fred Meyer and QFC to co-exist in the Seattle area, to me it would make sense to only have Fred Meyer in SW Washington and Oregon. The reason I say that is because of the stores in Gig Harbor, Portland Burlingame and Portland Stadium, which pretty much have a QFC feel and merchandising mix. I think the PDX metro QFC could easily become food and drug only Fred Meyer stores while keeping the same merchandising mix!
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Not to mention that there aren't any QFC TV ads airing anymore.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

We were seeing QFC ads down here in the Coachella Valley in mid-January--the branding clearly should have been Ralphs, but who knows how the cable ad server got messed up.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Romr123 wrote: February 24th, 2021, 1:16 pm We were seeing QFC ads down here in the Coachella Valley in mid-January--the branding clearly should have been Ralphs, but who knows how the cable ad server got messed up.
San Diego has gotten Winn-Dixie ads before, even though the nearest Winn-Dixie is thousands of miles from here. The cable ad server also might've screwed up there too.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: February 24th, 2021, 1:19 pm
Romr123 wrote: February 24th, 2021, 1:16 pm We were seeing QFC ads down here in the Coachella Valley in mid-January--the branding clearly should have been Ralphs, but who knows how the cable ad server got messed up.
San Diego has gotten Winn-Dixie ads before, even though the nearest Winn-Dixie is thousands of miles from here. The cable ad server also might've screwed up there too.
I used to see Winn Dixie ads in the 90's in Nevada on tv. I assumed they must have been doing national ad buys. I think they had a jingle "Winn Dixie has a way" or something. There was an employee helping a customer with produce, checkout, etc. all smiles. I always wondered what the chain was since I'd never heard of them other than those tv ads.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Some follow up press as the closures near.
15th Ave E store employees do not seem to have fought as hard, likely because the other two large stores on Broadway are fairly close by for relocation and this property was already known as a redevelopment. (When I lived in Capitol Hill, this store was unremodeled until right before I moved, c. 2010).
Crosscut.com: Grocery workers accuse QFC of closing stores as union retaliation
QFC Employees call Seattle hazard pay a 'win' despite store closures
This QFC is Closing April 24, 2021 — Shelves already bare at 15th Ave E grocery slated for shutdown over COVID-19 hazard pay