Albertsons continues to disappear from WA

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Albertsons continues to disappear from WA

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: April 7th, 2021, 7:36 pm
pseudo3d wrote: April 7th, 2021, 4:29 pm...
Putting the Sav-on name on most of their stores, especially in areas that had no Sav-on stores (not for years, at least) was a Larry Johnston idea, and an expense that the stores didn't really need at the time (as signs were re-aligned, etc.). The Dallas-Fort Worth division (which included the Louisiana stores) got it, as did most other locations (I think Southwest and Shaw's got Osco, while ACME got Sav-on)...
It sort of made sense to brand the Phoenix Albertsons with "Osco" because Osco actually had drug stores in the market. It is funny that they re-branded the Shaw's and Star stores with "Osco" three years after selling the New England Osco stores.
Remember they tried to rebrand SoCal to Osco in the past but Osco is not a great word translated in Spanish so they went back to the Sav-On name.

In Nevada at least around 1997ish they rebranded the Osco Stores around Reno (there were 5 stores) to Sav-On. They had a great scratch and win game where you could win prizes including cash in conjunction with the rebranding, technically I was not of minimum age to play the game at the time but that didn't stop me. Not sure I ever won anything. I think Las Vegas had always been branded Sav-On unless it briefly got Osco. New Mexico also was rebranded to Sav-On after they pulled Jewel from there and switched it to Lucky. Reno went Skaggs to Osco to Sav-On to CVS.

I think they used the Sav-On name in some markets that previously had Osco up until 1992 like Utah, Idaho, etc. I forget what they did in Colorado and Wyoming.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: April 8th, 2021, 12:47 am Remember they tried to rebrand SoCal to Osco in the past but Osco is not a great word translated in Spanish so they went back to the Sav-On name.

In Nevada at least around 1997ish they rebranded the Osco Stores around Reno (there were 5 stores) to Sav-On. They had a great scratch and win game where you could win prizes including cash in conjunction with the rebranding, technically I was not of minimum age to play the game at the time but that didn't stop me. Not sure I ever won anything. I think Las Vegas had always been branded Sav-On unless it briefly got Osco. New Mexico also was rebranded to Sav-On after they pulled Jewel from there and switched it to Lucky. Reno went Skaggs to Osco to Sav-On to CVS.

I think they used the Sav-On name in some markets that previously had Osco up until 1992 like Utah, Idaho, etc. I forget what they did in Colorado and Wyoming.
The SoCal Osco rebranding reminds me of how the Chevy Nova couldn't sell in Latin America.

The Sav-on name was/is used for pharmacy in Utah, Idaho, Colorado, and Oregon/Washington. The Osco name was used in Wyoming (except for Rock Springs and Jackson), Montana (CVS bought a few Oscos there), Nebraska (dual rebranding campaign in Omaha, which was exited a year before the breakup), and South Dakota (lone store in Rapid City).
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

Curiously enough, there is a new remodel Albertsons here in Renton on Sunset Blvd. It has the Safeway faux wood grain floors. But the signage is NOT "Colorful Lifestyle" or "Florida". Previously it had the LLC decor from when LLC bought the SVU Albertsons in 2013. It also strangely had checkout lane number signs that said, "Albertsons Market". This store seems to do well. But in the Renton Highlands, where this is, there is a rather large Safeway that had been Safeway-Haggen-Safeway and a small hidden Marina Safeway. So I am wondering if they are going to keep a few token Albertsons around?
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

marshd1000 wrote: April 8th, 2021, 10:26 am Curiously enough, there is a new remodel Albertsons here in Renton on Sunset Blvd. It has the Safeway faux wood grain floors. But the signage is NOT "Colorful Lifestyle" or "Florida". Previously it had the LLC decor from when LLC bought the SVU Albertsons in 2013. It also strangely had checkout lane number signs that said, "Albertsons Market". This store seems to do well. But in the Renton Highlands, where this is, there is a rather large Safeway that had been Safeway-Haggen-Safeway and a small hidden Marina Safeway. So I am wondering if they are going to keep a few token Albertsons around?
Looking at pictures on Google, this has the "Heritage" interior, which is exclusively Albertsons: https://cdscandoit.com/work/albertsons- ... e-package/
Judging by this, they might be keeping the Albertsons name in Washington, and applying the brakes on Safeway conversions... IDK...
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

marshd1000 wrote: April 8th, 2021, 10:26 am Curiously enough, there is a new remodel Albertsons here in Renton on Sunset Blvd. It has the Safeway faux wood grain floors. But the signage is NOT "Colorful Lifestyle" or "Florida". Previously it had the LLC decor from when LLC bought the SVU Albertsons in 2013. It also strangely had checkout lane number signs that said, "Albertsons Market".
Before United started using it, the Albertsons Market name was used under LLC in the early 2010s to differentiate from the SVU stores. There was some in-store decor that utilized it and the ads used it, but the exteriors never did, not even the few stores that were opened under LLC.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

pseudo3d wrote: April 8th, 2021, 12:09 pm
marshd1000 wrote: April 8th, 2021, 10:26 am Curiously enough, there is a new remodel Albertsons here in Renton on Sunset Blvd. It has the Safeway faux wood grain floors. But the signage is NOT "Colorful Lifestyle" or "Florida". Previously it had the LLC decor from when LLC bought the SVU Albertsons in 2013. It also strangely had checkout lane number signs that said, "Albertsons Market".
Before United started using it, the Albertsons Market name was used under LLC in the early 2010s to differentiate from the SVU stores. There was some in-store decor that utilized it and the ads used it, but the exteriors never did, not even the few stores that were opened under LLC.
I have relatives in Dallas and I was aware of the Albertsons Market branding on the ads prior to LLC buying the remaining Albertsons and reuniting them! The ONLY thing at the Renton Albertsons that had the Albertsons Market branding where the checkout markers. I suppose they thought they might as well use up their supply that were on hand! But the photos of that Missoula store is exactly what was put in the Renton remodel, except for the floors in produce!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Pueblo, CO Albertsons also got remodeled into that interior Renton has.

Maybe they are testing what generates the best results- remodel into a generic Safeway interior/rebanner or do an Albertsons remodel and keep Albertsons banner.

Funny the Albertsons banner keeps getting customized interiors like this while Safeway continues to get generic sterile interiors. But I do like that colorful lifestyle...
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

After Albertsons acquired the stores originally divested to Haggen, it seemed like the ones that became Safeways received Colorful Lifestyle. But it seems like Colorful Lifestyle is dead and that most Safeway remodels are the Florida decor!
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

marshd1000 wrote: April 8th, 2021, 9:52 pm After Albertsons acquired the stores originally divested to Haggen, it seemed like the ones that became Safeways received Colorful Lifestyle. But it seems like Colorful Lifestyle is dead and that most Safeway remodels are the Florida decor!
Colorful Lifestyle isn't dead yet- an Albertsons near me (Vista, CA-Melrose Dr) was just remodeled into Colorful Lifestyle. This store is a former Lucky that Albertsons remodeled as soon as they bought it in 1999 (Blue & Green Awnings interior). It finally got a new interior after 21 years. I do like the Awnings interior, but Colorful Lifestyle is a nice step up.

A few Albertsons in SoCal are starting to get the "Modern" (Florida) interior, with street names for aisles. A year ago, the Dana Point Albertsons was remodeled into this interior (original 70's Albertsons). It previously had a higher-end version of the Industrial Circus/Larry interior.
The Albertsons in downtown San Diego (SVU build) got this interior lately too.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The thing we have to give Albertsons credit for is they are continuing their long-standing tradition which commenced after the ASC Merger of having multiple interior decor packages going at the same time.

Well, not NorCal Safeway who only seems to know what that Florida interior is. Except in Hawaii they seem to know what the Pavilions interior is. But that is the division most like the old Safeway, a clear one trick pony (and we see where that type of strategy got Safeway) and change is happening to dig it out of the Safeway hole albeit very slowly. Really would be nice to see NorCal Safeway do some Colorful Lifestyle interiors. It would probably be less work to remodel into that interior than the Florida interior too.

The other divisions in the West seem to have multiple packages going at the same time in the same geographic areas. You have custom Albertsons-themed package (packages now), the colorful Lifestyle, the repainted Safeway Lifestyle (unique to Vons) with used wall letters, the Florida interior scattered around, Pavilions interiors scattered around a little... I think I'm missing something and this doesn't even account for the different interiors being used back east.