C&S- Pacific Northwest

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

C&S- Pacific Northwest

Post by storewanderer »

Did not realize it but C&S has already opened its Pacific Northwest Distribution Center outside Portland.

They do supply a number of places such as Target and some other non-grocery groups but I am curious how many independents are they supplying in the Pacific Northwest? So far I observed Best Yet items at Sid's IGA in Long Beach (which is now owned by the Shop N Kart group) so I assume their other 3 stores are also using C&S. Sid's IGA was a long-time Supervalu supplied store.

Supervalu/UNFI is sure bleeding independents in the Pacific Northwest. Between the stores URM has picked up in Western Washington and now C&S at least picking up a few, just, wow. Not entirely sure what C&S has to offer over UNFI/Supervalu, to me both seem to have high prices and not provide great promotion support. C&S does seem to do noticeably better on price for chains with a dozen or so stores. Still, good to see the independents have some choices at least.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: C&S- Pacific Northwest

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: April 27th, 2021, 7:28 pm Did not realize it but C&S has already opened its Pacific Northwest Distribution Center outside Portland.

They do supply a number of places such as Target and some other non-grocery groups but I am curious how many independents are they supplying in the Pacific Northwest? So far I observed Best Yet items at Sid's IGA in Long Beach (which is now owned by the Shop N Kart group) so I assume their other 3 stores are also using C&S. Sid's IGA was a long-time Supervalu supplied store.

Supervalu/UNFI is sure bleeding independents in the Pacific Northwest. Between the stores URM has picked up in Western Washington and now C&S at least picking up a few, just, wow. Not entirely sure what C&S has to offer over UNFI/Supervalu, to me both seem to have high prices and not provide great promotion support. C&S does seem to do noticeably better on price for chains with a dozen or so stores. Still, good to see the independents have some choices at least.
Supervalu will probably go the way of Fleming someday, as C&S and AWG continue to expand into SVU territory. The Albertsons purchase really screwed them up, more than it screwed up Albertsons. Like Tesco, SVU will continue to be a troubled company with their best days behind them.
Like Fleming, Supervalu has failed with buying retail.
storewanderer

Re: C&S- Pacific Northwest

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: April 28th, 2021, 9:08 pm Supervalu will probably go the way of Fleming someday, as C&S and AWG continue to expand into SVU territory. The Albertsons purchase really screwed them up, more than it screwed up Albertsons. Like Tesco, SVU will continue to be a troubled company with their best days behind them.
Like Fleming, Supervalu has failed with buying retail.
Back in MN about a year and a half ago or possibly in WI right near the state line I went into some independent (may have been an IGA affiliate) in a small town and right next to it was a big Supervalu/UNFI Warehouse. I thought well that is convenient.

I walked into the store and saw AWG brands on the shelves...

Pretty bad when an independent store is not using Supervalu/UNFI when they basically share a driveway with the warehouse. I have been very surprised with some of the customers Supervalu/UNFI has lost on the west coast. These are independents that had decades long relationships with Unified and the predecessors Associated Seattle, or United Grocers.