Record heat effect on local stores

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Super S

Re: Record heat effect on local stores

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 10:56 am
Super S wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 10:48 am Just to clarify...these are not doors. These are plastic strips hung on open cases in produce and meat.
Oh, like this thing?

https://plasticstripcurtain.com/product ... d-hardware

But covering the refrigeration?

This is a terrible idea (and filthy/unsanitary).
Yes, the strips are very similar to those. They were somewhat common at many stores during the 1980s. As I mentioned, WinCo (possibly even going back to the pre-WinCo Waremart days) often had these in dairy and sometimes the meat department open cases. I never saw them used in produce though. Fred Meyer basically had them on ALL of the open cases I saw in produce and what I saw of the meat department. I did not take a close look as I was there to buy something quickly toward the front of the store. I got the impression that they thought the outside units powering these cases had potential to break down in the heat, despite the fact that the store was remodeled in the last few years.

As I mentioned, WinCo and others that had these in the past got rid of them long ago. They were hard to keep clean and likely only had a minimal impact on cost savings. I actually haven't seen them in any store in recent years.
BillyGr wrote: June 30th, 2021, 4:49 pm
Brian Lutz wrote: June 29th, 2021, 9:29 am From what I've seen around here, many of the recent Fred Meyer remodels have included replacement of most of the refrigerated cases, and many of the new ones have doors on them. I believe the meat cases are still open in the stores I've visited recently (Snohomish and Kirkland) but the rest of the refrigerated cases now have doors.
Trying to think, but I can't think of any place that has closed meat cases for fresh items. A few stores do for packaged stuff (like hot dogs, bacon or pre-packed cold cuts like Oscar Mayer, and even for frozen meat items) but not for in store packaged meats.
BillyGr wrote: June 30th, 2021, 4:49 pm
Brian Lutz wrote: June 29th, 2021, 9:29 am From what I've seen around here, many of the recent Fred Meyer remodels have included replacement of most of the refrigerated cases, and many of the new ones have doors on them. I believe the meat cases are still open in the stores I've visited recently (Snohomish and Kirkland) but the rest of the refrigerated cases now have doors.
Trying to think, but I can't think of any place that has closed meat cases for fresh items. A few stores do for packaged stuff (like hot dogs, bacon or pre-packed cold cuts like Oscar Mayer, and even for frozen meat items) but not for in store packaged meats.
The Longview Fred Meyer has mostly open cases in the meat department as well as produce. The entire frozen food area as well as dairy have newer cases/coolers from the last remodel with doors, dairy has those newer lightweight doors that actually feel a little flimsy.
Super S

Re: Record heat effect on local stores

Post by Super S »

I have noticed the strips are now gone from Fred Meyer. Worth noting is that several of the rooftop units were recently replaced. I am not sure if they were HVAC units or if they were refrigeration units, but there was a trailer with several of the old units in the lot about a month ago parked by a crane used to remove them.

I would have thought this would have been addressed during their recent remodel, which did add some new refrigeration for dairy.