Record heat effect on local stores

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Super S

Record heat effect on local stores

Post by Super S »

In the Pacific Northwest, we have had record heat in the last few days with temps well above 100, and Portland and a few other cities surpassed the 110 mark breaking all time records.

I have found that the stores were generally well stocked, and haven't really heard of any shortages other than obvious things like air conditioners and fans, but there was a run on bottled water including gallons. But one interesting observation I made when I needed something quickly this morning at Fred Meyer, is that they have installed those plastic strip covers over the front of all of their open cases, including meat and produce, which I find interesting not only due to the COVID events and how dirty these things can get, but also because other stores such as WinCo ditched these things years ago. I am curious if these will remain after the heat wave ends, or if they are temporary.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Record heat effect on local stores

Post by Brian Lutz »

From what I've seen around here, many of the recent Fred Meyer remodels have included replacement of most of the refrigerated cases, and many of the new ones have doors on them. I believe the meat cases are still open in the stores I've visited recently (Snohomish and Kirkland) but the rest of the refrigerated cases now have doors.

And on another (non grocery related) note, yesterday evening I went to Bellevue Square, and it was probably the most crowded I had ever seen the mall on a day that wasn't Black Friday or the annual Bellevue Art Fair weekend. I also saw that quite a few restaurants in the area were closed on Sunday and Monday due to the heat.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Brian Lutz wrote: June 29th, 2021, 9:29 am From what I've seen around here, many of the recent Fred Meyer remodels have included replacement of most of the refrigerated cases, and many of the new ones have doors on them. I believe the meat cases are still open in the stores I've visited recently (Snohomish and Kirkland) but the rest of the refrigerated cases now have doors.
Trying to think, but I can't think of any place that has closed meat cases for fresh items. A few stores do for packaged stuff (like hot dogs, bacon or pre-packed cold cuts like Oscar Mayer, and even for frozen meat items) but not for in store packaged meats.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

A new Safeway that opened in 2016 featured refrigerator doors on the cases for packaged deli meats, cold cuts, salads, cut fruit, chilled alcohol, dairy, etc. The only cases without doors were cut meat and some produce. It was a little extreme. However, the doors were plastic and very light. They were easy to open unlike the old glass doors.

Fresh & Easy was the chain that started putting doors on everything. Even the cut and packaged meat had doors on their refrigerators. It was ridiculous. After Fresh & Easy closed, a small independent supermarket chain, Lunardi's, bought the doors from some of the closed Fresh & Easy stores and added it to their stores. It did not make much sense as there were gaps between the doors and Lunardi's old refrigerator cases. Cold air leaks out.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Alpha8472 wrote: June 30th, 2021, 10:04 pm A new Safeway that opened in 2016 featured refrigerator doors on the cases for packaged deli meats, cold cuts, salads, cut fruit, chilled alcohol, dairy, etc. The only cases without doors were cut meat and some produce. It was a little extreme. However, the doors were plastic and very light. They were easy to open unlike the old glass doors.

Fresh & Easy was the chain that started putting doors on everything. Even the cut and packaged meat had doors on their refrigerators. It was ridiculous. After Fresh & Easy closed, a small independent supermarket chain, Lunardi's, bought the doors from some of the closed Fresh & Easy stores and added it to their stores. It did not make much sense as there were gaps between the doors and Lunardi's old refrigerator cases. Cold air leaks out.
Yep, those doors were a mess for employees and customers.

It was to reduce waste, LOL.

The problem was (for most of their stores) low sales, poor rotation practices at warehouse and store, dysfunctional replenishment system and the hubris of Tesco (even after Yucaipa purchase).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Smiths has been installing doors on as many cases as possible around Reno lately. It is quite a large project. I too noticed on the sides of the cases they are not exactly insulated and cold air is still leaking out.

Smiths historically has been very good about cleaning their glass doors in dairy and frozen, but this takes the cleaning need to a new level...
Super S

Post by Super S »

Just to clarify...these are not doors. These are plastic strips hung on open cases in produce and meat.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 10:48 am Just to clarify...these are not doors. These are plastic strips hung on open cases in produce and meat.
Oh, like this thing?

https://plasticstripcurtain.com/product ... d-hardware

But covering the refrigeration?

This is a terrible idea (and filthy/unsanitary).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Back in the 80s Safeway put plastic strips over their refrigerator cases at many of their stores. The strips were always dirty and ripped all the time. It was annoying to have to struggle to get your stuff through the plastic gaps. This was also the time when Safeway darkened the produce department by turning out the fluorescent lights and putting in spotlights. They used awnings to darken the Produce department so that it was totally dark except for those spotlights. It was a tripping hazard. That lasted until the 90s decor was introduced.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Tried to add on to a post but it made a duplicate instead. So I deleted this one.
Last edited by Super S on July 3rd, 2021, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.