Roth's sold to Jim Pattison Group

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Roth's sold to Jim Pattison Group

Post by storewanderer »

Interesting- this is going to be the first US holding that Jim Pattison Group has. A rather glowing omission from the article is this is who owns Save On Foods in Canada and I think that is their highest store count banner.

I wonder if they are planning to accumulate more US Stores. It will also be interesting to see if they try to source any goods down from Canada. They control the Western Family private label in Canada (completely different packaging than the US version) which still exists up there.

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/ ... 445459002/

Save On Foods... actually rather similar stores to this Roth's. This seems like a good fit and I don't think much will change with these stores under this new ownership. I wonder if a certain chain located a ways south of Roth's also expressed interest. Interesting timing.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Roth's sold to Jim Pattison Group

Post by SamSpade »

Roth's is a big force in the mid-Willamette valley. They must be #2 (?) in that area as Fred Meyer, despite having 3 Salem supercenters and historical ties, is not noted on the Kroger corporate report shared here to be #1 or #2 in market share in that market.
I assume that #1 is Albertsons Companies (under the Safeway banner).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: October 14th, 2021, 11:35 pm Roth's is a big force in the mid-Willamette valley. They must be #2 (?) in that area as Fred Meyer, despite having 3 Salem supercenters and historical ties, is not noted on the Kroger corporate report shared here to be #1 or #2 in market share in that market.
Tough to get a measure of Roth's since they order from a wholesaler. I am not sure how high volume these stores were though. The McMinnville store which is the one I was in multiple times, never seemed very busy; impressive amount of fresh product for what seemed like few customers.

I think this is a surprisingly good fit though... URM/Rosauers would have also been a very good fit for Roth's. Roth's did a great job supplying local produce to their stores and slotting in and promoting regional Pacific NW brands. Also a well developed perimeter, they seemed to try everything they could, and actually stuck with their ideas.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I have only been to their stores a couple times, and thought they did a good job at having local products. They did run ads on Portland TV in the past, but I have not seen them in years.

They are about the only significant independent left in the region...the various independent Thriftway stores have mostly faded away. Hopefully they don't mess with the format too much.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: October 14th, 2021, 10:10 pm Interesting- this is going to be the first US holding that Jim Pattison Group has. A rather glowing omission from the article is this is who owns Save On Foods in Canada and I think that is their highest store count banner.

I wonder if they are planning to accumulate more US Stores. It will also be interesting to see if they try to source any goods down from Canada. They control the Western Family private label in Canada (completely different packaging than the US version) which still exists up there.

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/ ... 445459002/

Save On Foods... actually rather similar stores to this Roth's. This seems like a good fit and I don't think much will change with these stores under this new ownership. I wonder if a certain chain located a ways south of Roth's also expressed interest. Interesting timing.
The last time a Canadian supermarket chain owned US stores was in 1995 (Loblaws sold National to Schnucks, although they sold President's Choice products at Jewel until the demise of old Albertsons).
Sobeys owned a stake in Hannaford back then, but sold it to Delhaize in 2000. Sobeys also owned stakes in Nash Finch and Petrini's (upscale Bay Area supermarket)

I'm guessing Raley's was interested in Roth's? Maybe Jim Pattison should buy Raley's next.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

SamSpade wrote: October 14th, 2021, 11:35 pm Roth's is a big force in the mid-Willamette valley. They must be #2 (?) in that area as Fred Meyer, despite having 3 Salem supercenters and historical ties, is not noted on the Kroger corporate report shared here to be #1 or #2 in market share in that market.
The market share studies I've seen in the past place Salem in the Portland MSA. Safeway is #1, Fred Meyer is a close #2. I believe WinCo is #3 and Costco is #4.