Safeway (Canada) and Sobeys try dimming lights

Locations outside the US. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Safeway (Canada) and Sobeys try dimming lights

Post by SamSpade » March 30th, 2019, 10:41 pm

... but not for the reason you think.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5078284

Alpha8472
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Safeway (Canada) and Sobeys try dimming lights

Post by Alpha8472 » April 1st, 2019, 1:01 am

Some stores have lights so bright that it gives you a headache. There were some supermarkets that were so bright you would think that they were Kmart stores.

Years ago during the Enron energy crisis, stores turned out half of their lights in California. The stores were still bright including, Safeway, Lucky, Target. Target even turned off their 90s era wall neon.

In the 90s, I once went to a Petrini's or Lunardi's that did not have fluorescent lights on the ceiling. It was very dark and the store had a green glow from ambient lighting. I found it to be very soothing.

Super S
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Super S » April 1st, 2019, 7:11 am

Alpha8472 wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 1:01 am
Some stores have lights so bright that it gives you a headache. There were some supermarkets that were so bright you would think that they were Kmart stores.

Years ago during the Enron energy crisis, stores turned out half of their lights in California. The stores were still bright including, Safeway, Lucky, Target. Target even turned off their 90s era wall neon.

In the 90s, I once went to a Petrini's or Lunardi's that did not have fluorescent lights on the ceiling. It was very dark and the store had a green glow from ambient lighting. I found it to be very soothing.
Some stores near me turned off lights during the "energy crisis" but it wasn't implemented well with random sections shut off, and in some cases you had really dark sections in some stores during this time. It was very much like how some of the Kmarts left have resorted to shutting off several entire rows of lighting to save money.

pseudo3d
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by pseudo3d » April 1st, 2019, 8:11 pm

Alpha8472 wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 1:01 am
Sounds like mercury vapor, which tend to have a greenish glow especially as they get old. This was usually used for outdoor lighting or things like large gymnasiums, but not unheard of in retail (Woolco, at least the U.S. stores used them in the 1970s).